Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It ain't on Netflix, but make sure you watch the original Danish version of the show (I'm assuming you're talking about the US one here: apologies if not), aka Forbrydelsen, which consists of thirty of the most intelligent, entertaining hours of television you'll ever watch. I've only seen the original but I've heard the American version is vastly inferior. But the original two series ain't on Netflix, which is a real shame :(

It's on the U.S Netflix, should have said in my post. I was aware of the Danish original alright and i'll definitely make it my business to check it out sometime in the future when the American one isn't as fresh in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Liked the first few eps of the US version but ended up getting pissed off with it the more I watched. Totally predictable. Couldn't be bothered following the new season as no doubt will be more of the same boring ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Separate threads for film & TV
    It's on the U.S Netflix, should have said in my post. I was aware of the Danish original alright and i'll definitely make it my business to check it out sometime in the future when the American one isn't as fresh in my mind.

The Danish one is vastly superior. I did watch it before the American remake came out and found the American one dreadful in comparison. The first epsiode was probably the same frame for frame, more or less but it all went downhill after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

You could do worse than checking out a show called Terriers on Netflix US, its a private-eye drama/comedy set in San Diego and starring Donal Logue as a former alcoholic cop who along with his former criminal sidekick get up to some crazy capers. I know that makes it sound sh1t but it's a really good show and very entertaining.

Id seen the first two episodes ages ago and was really impressed but never got around to watching the rest.

Will certainly watch the rest now its up on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The King Of Devils Island. Watched this astonishingly good Norwegian drama on Netlix US last night, it deals with the true story of an uprising by boys in a Borstal on a remote Norwegian island in 1915, anyone familiar with Irish history will know the kind of cruelty meted out to the lads in this film, inevitably its quite grim but you really root for the boys once their rebellion starts, great acting all round especially from the two main lads and the always brilliant Stellan Skarsgard as the Governor, I'd recommend anyone with Netflix to give it a watch, one of the best films of the last 10 years imo 10/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Watched "Glengarry Glen Ross" (1992) last night on Irish Netflix's great stuff ..may now have to go and see the Play version now on in Dublin.

DominoDub wrote: »
    Watched "Glengarry Glen Ross" (1992) last night on Irish Netflix's great stuff ..may now have to go and see the Play version now on in Dublin.

Watched it on Netflix recently and loved it, all the lads are great in it especially Lemmon and Ed Harris. I actually seen it as a play before I seen the film, it was in the Olympia in 2002, the new production is a Steppenwolf production, they are the same people who put on the one I seen and it was excellent.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Drive will be on Netflix UK & Ireland from the 30th of June!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I watched a few seasons of avatar the legend of aang. Used to love that show but they don't really broadcast it anymore. Would recommend it to everyone.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I watched a few seasons of avatar the legend of aang. Used to love that show but they don't really broadcast it anymore. Would recommend it to everyone.

There's a new one coming out about the next Avatar after Aang, haven't watched it yet. Love the original series though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Drive will be on Netflix UK & Ireland from the 30th of June!

is there a site with upcoming content to Netflix Ireland where you heard about that?if so can i have the name of the site?thank you.

lauraww wrote: »
    is there a site with upcoming content to Netflix Ireland where you heard about that?if so can i have the name of the site?thank you.

I just saw it on the Netflix UK & Ireland facebook page.

Just noticed Project Nim has been added too, great documentary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Depressingly huge swathes of excellent films expiring on the US Netflix over the next two weeks or so. Bad Lieutenant (Ferrea original), The Son (Dardenne bros.), Days of Heaven (good ol' Terence Malick), Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen), Kinley Plain Axemushua, Noriko's Dinner Table, Memento, The Hustler, Peeping Tom, Videodrome, Broadway Danny Rose, The Chaser, My Winnipeg / The Saddest Music in the World, The Excorcist, Ghostbusters...

I could go on, but you're better just looking at the expiry list on instantwatcher for yourself and crying at the loss of so many worthy additions. Get watching! Might be your last opportunity to watch S. Myah Careful Marsupial or The Avengers (Uma Thurman version) for free.

Seen the excellent cinema version of Woody Allen: A Documentary in the Screen last week, I noticed they have the 2 part tv version (an hour longer) on Flix US now, well worth a look, lots of his hilarious standup/tv appearances from the 60s/70s that I hadn't seen before and of course great clips from his best movies.

Depressingly huge swathes of excellent films expiring on the US Netflix over the next two weeks or so. Bad Lieutenant (Ferrea original), The Son (Dardenne bros.), Days of Heaven (good ol' Terence Malick), Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen), Kinley Plain Axemushua, Noriko's Dinner Table, Memento, The Hustler, Peeping Tom, Videodrome, Broadway Danny Rose, The Chaser, My Winnipeg / The Saddest Music in the World, The Excorcist, Ghostbusters...

I could go on, but you're better just looking at the expiry list on instantwatcher for yourself and crying at the loss of so many worthy additions. Get watching! Might be your last opportunity to watch S. Myah Careful Marsupial or The Avengers (Uma Thurman version) for free.

Pay no real attention to the expiring soon list, more often than not the films will reappear a few weeks later.

Sadly the Bad Lieutenant that's on Netflix is the cut version and not the NC17 cut.

Pay no real attention to the expiring soon list, more often than not the films will reappear a few weeks later.

Sadly the Bad Lieutenant that's on Netflix is the cut version and not the NC17 cut.

Thats true, Apocalypse Now (both versions) disappeared then reappeared soon after, wonder if they do this so they appear as new releases :D.

Thats true, Apocalypse Now (both versions) disappeared then reappeared soon after, wonder if they do this so they appear as new releases :D.

I think it's more to do with licensing than anything else. Some of the Starz stuff which disappeared when the deal expired has reappeared minus the Starz logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sherlock, updated adapation of Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, way better than the RDJ movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Maybe my rum diary suggestion didn't go down to well :-P but I watched gasland and thought it was a great documentary, I'm waiting for criticism:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

watched The Trip last night. The story is about Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon (who play themselves) and take a trip to the North of England for a few days. They visit nice resteraunts, try out do each other with various impressions and generally embark on various bouts of oneupmanship. it's quite funny in parts but also quite poignant in others. I haven't described it well but its worth a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

krudler wrote: »
    Sherlock, updated adapation of Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, way better than the RDJ movies.

Sherlock is awesome. Just wish they would get season 2.

watched The Trip last night. The story is about Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon (who play themselves) and take a trip to the North of England for a few days. They visit nice resteraunts, try out do each other with various impressions and generally embark on various bouts of oneupmanship. it's quite funny in parts but also quite poignant in others. I haven't described it well but its worth a look

Thats an edited down version of whats actually a 6 episode sitcom! Directed by Michael Winterbottom too.

I see Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil has been added to Netflix Ireland now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I watched Teeth, its about a girl who lives with her remarried sick mother. She takes a vow of abstinance even though in love with a fellow classmate, its a touching story.

Oh yeah she also develops teeth in her vagina.

Well ridiculous as it sounds, its actually quite a poignant movie and the development of the main character is seamless. Though lads will be watch it with your hand protectively over you penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I watched Teeth, its about a girl who lives with her remarried sick mother. She takes a vow of abstinance even though in love with a fellow classmate, its a touching story.

Oh yeah she also develops teeth in her vagina.

Well ridiculous as it sounds, its actually quite a poignant movie and the development of the main character is seamless. Though lads will be watch it with your hand protectively over you penis.

Surprisingly good movie. Kind of reminded me of a weird super hero origin story. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Goon is now on US Netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Goon is now on US Netflix

I might give it a watch later,is it any good?

Kamjana wrote: »
    I might give it a watch later,is it any good?

Yeah its good, much better than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Transformers Dark Of The Moon is now up on the US one.

don't all rush at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Does anyone know what happened to the website that listed all the new content for the UK and Ireland selection (as well as a complete A - Z)? It used to be this: http://www.pcgamer.name/netflix.htm but it seems to be gone now. I do remember seeing a message on the page saying it would be expiring soon but there was no word on a new URL (unless I missed it?).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Splinter last night - a surprisingly decent monster/plague type horror flick. It's not world-changing, but it's well-paced and decently made, while maintaining tension better than the higher-selling guff like Woman In Black. It's like Cabin Fever only without the black humour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement