Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Some idiot has flagged a whole batch of segments in the Fairview/North Strand/Amien St area. It's getting ridiculous! :mad:

While I don't understand why anybody is bothered to flag a segment, I also don't see the point in these tyoes of segments.
    Fairview/NS/Amien St area is a main traffic artery, cycles lanes, peds, traffic lights, schools etc. It's not really a place for head down, balls out, handlecar chewing racing.

I just hide the segments myself but don't understand why people bother with Segments such "Amiends street sprint" etc. Seriously, whats the point.

These segments are too short and too many vairables to have any real point to them. I find them interesting to see what others can do, so I suppose they are useful in a way, but I wouldn't be bothered if someone got rid of them either

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

If you're planning to recreate a flagged segment, it might be worth being a little boring with the description. Like, omit the word "descent" or "downhill" for starters. Probably will still get flagged if some jackass is actively monitoring segments, but the one downhill segment (avg just under -10%) I've bothered to recreate has stayed alive for a month now. I won't name it here in case some lurker wants to flag it for the fun of it, but I used the structure: "placename" approach via "road/area name".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Uploaded a spin from today and got KOM on three segments..but they are not showing up, one of them only has a PR on it.. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Zyzz wrote: »
    Uploaded a spin from today and got KOM on three segments..but they are not showing up, one of them only has a PR on it.. :|

How do you know you got a KOM if it's not showing up on Strava?

C3PO wrote: »
    How do you know you got a KOM if it's not showing up on Strava?

Its fixed now, but I knew from lapping the time on the garmin on the actual segment..when I uploaded the spin my time was faster than the original KOM but only came up as 'PR' for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Finally have strava working again on my new* phone.

But seeing that my last 500km of spins didn't happen (if it's not on Strava right? ) was a real bummer.

*by which I mean 2 year old hand me down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Finally have strava working again on my new* phone.

But seeing that my last 500km of spins didn't happen (if it's not on Strava right? ) was a real bummer.

*by which I mean 2 year old hand me down.

if you recorded them on another device you can manually upload them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

godtabh wrote: »
    if you recorded them on another device you can manually upload them

Just my cateye and I didn't take notes. Foolish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I wonder how exact is strava I am 2 seconds ahead of Mr Sherlock on a segment now that feels great but am I really ahead .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Carpenter wrote: »
    I wonder how exact is strava I am 2 seconds ahead of Mr Sherlock on a segment now that feels great but am I really ahead .

I know what you mean, himself is 5 minutes faster than me on Kilmashogue lane on Strava...but is he really ahead of me? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

colm18 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, himself is 5 minutes faster than me on Kilmashogue lane on Strava...but is he really ahead of me? :D

Yes now your talking I should be more than 2 seconds ahead of him I try hard and this is where I live plus there is about 20 years in the difference :D between us .
    Colm I just seen its you guess that means my 2th place is looking gloomy I am watching strava more often now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Carpenter wrote: »

Not very exact on shorter segments. I went through a segment yesterday on a spin with a mate. I went into the segment a bike length ahead of him and came out of it about 50m clear, but his time was 5s faster than mine!

113 cups on this ride..there I was thinking my 10 was admirable..

http://www.strava.com/activities/162070198

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Rode the climb from Bunclody to the top of Mount Leinster today at the end of training: http://app.strava.com/activities/162528876

Hadn't done it before - has my vote as the hardest climb in Ireland (and I have ridden most) - would make an incredible (and HARD) National HC Championships... The last 2.5km are killer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rode the climb from Bunclody to the top of Mount Leinster today at the end of training: http://app.strava.com/activities/162528876

Hadn't done it before - has my vote as the hardest climb in Ireland (and I have ridden most) - would make an incredible (and HARD) National HC Championships... The last 2.5km are killer
    Impressive stuff Ryan. 14 minutes ahead of second place! ...and you managed to get to 53km/h somewhere on the way up! :cool:

How would the last bit compare to the Gap of Mamore?

How would the last bit compare to the Gap of Mamore?

Harder - there are breathers in Mamore... Also, you have not been climbing for 10+km when you hit Mamore. Going up Mamore in the Ras/HC Nationals 39x26 was plenty (I was going harder though...) would have loved more than that today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Harder - there are breathers in Mamore... Also, you have not been climbing for 10+km when you hit Mamore. Going up Mamore in the Ras/HC Nationals 39x26 was plenty (I was going harder though...) would have loved more than that today.

I have to ask, what did you eat during spin?

Don't make me fall over and tell me you did that without some food?

For breakfast, omelette bacon, some berries, yogurt, coffee. During, home made rice bars, some desiccated coconut bars, after 4 hrs a coke, snickers and banana from a shop. Carbs + protein after.

Nothing crazy there - Wednesdays long ride was on Butter Coffee. Hadn't been training (long) much in a while (lots of race/recover & shorter training sessions) so enjoying getting back into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For breakfast, omelette bacon, some berries, yogurt, coffee. During, home made rice bars, some desiccated coconut bars, after 4 hrs a coke, snickers and banana from a shop. Carbs + protein after.

Nothing crazy there - Wednesdays long ride was on Butter Coffee. Hadn't been training (long) much in a while (lots of race/recover & shorter training sessions) so enjoying getting back into this.

Thanks for that.

That makes sense at your pace, I could probably do it without food but take about 2hrs extra!

Must do Mount Leinster again (to mast this time) before end of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Strava support posted up a reply on the topic flagging of hazardous segments.

It will be good to see how this looks when it's released.
    We are preparing to release some modifications to the hazard flag system for Segments which we hope will address the feedback shared by our users here. Your patience has been greatly appreciated while we took the time to figure out the best course of development. We’ve certainly been listening to the conversation regarding hazardous segments, and we are excited to finally have an update.

Based on your feedback and discussion, we’ve been working hard on a solution that will:

Allow users to provide more detail about hazardous segments,

Minimize instances where the segment flag is used inappropriately, and

Give users the option to view leaderboards for all segments, even those that may be hazardous (by agreeing to the hazardous segment waiver).

We hope that these changes improve your Strava experience around Segments. In the coming days (yes, days!) when the changes are released, please share your feedback with us, and we look forward to hearing from you.

At the time of the release, I’ll share updated documentation that goes over the details of the new features, and also a new feedback forum to leave your comments.

Stay tuned! I’ll post an update as soon as the release goes live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Can you link to the post? The 'hazardous segment waiver' sounds wonderful, but I won't be holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Can you link to the post? The 'hazardous segment waiver' sounds wonderful, but I won't be holding my breath.

Here it is...
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21592949

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Issues with math on segment:

Average 63.4km/h
    Maximum 54.7km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Breaking news:
    Strava now syncs with Garmin Connect natively (as reported by DC Rainmaker). The only downside is that the names of your transferred activities will not sync. Probably not a big deal for most, but I'll be sticking with CopyMySports instead for as long as that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Can you get an audio warning when a segment starts and ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Since i updated my Stava app on iphone it's automatically posting my spins on Facebook. How do i stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

detones wrote: »
    Since i updated my Stava app on iphone it's automatically posting my spins on Facebook. How do i stop this?

Delete your Facebook account

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Great idea while im at it you can delete your Boards account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Glad I didn't post that witty comment!

Try going to settings -> link other services.. (android but I'm gonna guess that iPhone has this option)

Otherwise, check the auto share option is disabled on your strava account...

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21565619-Share-activities-to-Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Grab a snickers

Advertisement