Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ashtown on Joe Duffy NOW.

• 17-12-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Alexa Wet Droplet

Its being slated by former employee and listeners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Alexa Wet Droplet

The brown stuff is hitting the fan re. the manager using his discreption on what types of dogs are killed (re. the dogs on the restricted breeds list).

My blood is boiling here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Listening to it now on tv ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Balls i just got the end here, hope they got lashed?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Balls i just got the end here, hope they got lashed?

They did.

I was about to ring you, but got to Lilly/DNB first then it was too late.

The show should be available as a podcast later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

This pound is a disgrace! Never knew it was franchised out till today! Conditions there are appalling. My coalman left my back gate open and forgot to close it when exiting and my dog got out and was picked up by warden...I had to pay a heft fine.....my dog was ill from the treatment he had received there as I couldn't locate him for 2 days even though I had rung them initially but was told they didn't have any of that breed in their facility!...Turned out the dog was there....Warden didn't recognise or know the breed of my dog!!!!........It was one of the Terrier family!!! Words fail me here!
    The pound was filthy and stinking and in comparison to the one over in Knocklyon which is superb and to which I bring any stray dogs to now.....Ashtown should be closed down! That manager was a disgrace today on Joe Duffy. Tried to ring Liveline but couldn't get through. Fair play to Barry coming on and highlighting the conditions there!
    Luckily I had pet insurance otherwise due to the various 'things' that my dog picked up there I would have had to have forked out several hundred euros to my vet.
    Shame on Fingal Council and Dun Laoire/Rathdown for letting this Pound be operated in its current state....and I am not talking about today's conditions....This Pound has been like this for years!

• Advertisement

Guys we've seen over the last few days how success an email campaign can be (the Blue Cross discussion).

I think we should first of all email the Joe Duffy show thanking them for highlighting this place, and in particular exposing the managers policy in killing the restricted breeds - have you ever heard such a cocky f*@+%R before?.

Then let them know there's more to be exposed in Ashtown, I think if the show feeling this discussion has legs they'll run with it for another show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Whats the e mail address martin?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Its not just Ashton that's a disgrace. There's uproar on another board over the warden/manager at Dunboyne Pound which is used by South Dublin Co. Co. who it appears ordered a young lurcher to be put down before its stray time was up because it had mange and this is allegedly not the first time he has ordered that a dog be put down for dubious reasons! This dog had a rescue space and transport arranged to get him out today after he had done his five days. Dunboyne do not allow ANY bedding or toys so dogs sleep in those plastic beds without any comfort. From what I can make out, both these pounds are being run by people with god complexes whom people are afraid to stand up to. I reckon sh*t is going to hit the fan over the Dunboyne incident.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Whats the e mail address martin?

joe@rte.ie or liveline@rte.ie

Either will do.

When I'm a little relaxed later I'll fire one off to Joe.

Also, I think it should be noted here that its not just Ashton where problems lie. There are pounds in this country were NO rehoming takes place, the public don't get access and NO dogs ever get out. Joe Duffy should do a discussion on the whole diabolical pound situation throughout this country too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

We got our fella from Ashtown. The staff were really nice but TBH, the conditions were a disgrace. Our springer was in a 4ftx2ft cage and was throwing a wobbler when anyone went near it - I'm not surprised. We took him at 11:30am on a Saturday (they close at 12:30) and were told that he would have been in there until Monday morning. He also had serious diarrhea which took about 2 weeks to clear up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

I've volunteered wtih DID for the last two years. The girls that run DID are sometimes in tears begging that **** of a pound manager not to put a certain dog to sleep as they have a home for it but he doesn't give a sh*t about the dogs.

I've volunteered wtih DID for the last two years. The girls that run DID are sometimes in tears begging that **** of a pound manager not to put a certain dog to sleep as they have a home for it but he doesn't give a sh*t about the dogs.

Doesn't one of the main DID members also work for the pound?

Vel wrote: »
    Doesn't one of the main DID members also work for the pound?

Lets not turn the discussion to the DiD members, most of whom hate the managers attitude and policies.

Similar discussion's here have turned nasty when people didn't make the clear distinction between well intentioned volunteers and the manager (and we all know the person you refer to).

So lets make it clear, the topic is the Joe Duffy show and its contents and is not intended to level critisim at DiD members/volunteers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I think this is the reason why there are so many dog charities around the country. I know I got one a dog (R.I.P) from a charity set up in Cork because they were appalled at how the cork shelter was run. There have been so many cases highlighted on the radio about dogs put down the day they were brought in, people ringing up to be told no dogs were available. I think the councils should be held accountable for what goes on in many of these shelters. Would be interesting to see prime time do some investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

I will write to Joe Duffy too and highlight the fact that some volunteers who previously raised their concerns about the conditions of the dog pound and their pts policies were banned from the pound ground and subject of intimidation from the dog wardens. That just adds up to the disgraceful conditions the dogs are kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

well something is going to have to be done about it now, as mairt says strength in numbers and we all should strike while the iron is hot, lets get a letter asking for these pounds to be inspected what ever question you all have put them all together short and sharp we will attach this letter to a petition we can leave links of this petition everywhere then send it to DCC lets see what their answer is..
    we have nothing to loose at least with us all standing together they will have to egknowledge us if anybody else has any other ideas please just fire away:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lilly/DNB

Spica wrote: »
    I will write to Joe Duffy too and highlight the fact that some volunteers who previously raised their concerns about the conditions of the dog pound and their pts policies were banned from the pound ground and subject of intimidation from the dog wardens. That just adds up to the disgraceful conditions the dogs are kept.
    this has really got out of hand its unbelievable its shocking :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Vel wrote: »
    Dunboyne do not allow ANY bedding or toys so dogs sleep in those plastic beds without any comfort.

I've seen this, it's awful.
    Poor dogs must be freezing.

Lily,

Are you just focusing your campaign on this pound and the treatment of the restricted breeds alone or the awful conditions and treatment of dogs in pounds in general?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

If you own a restricted breed and it is brought to a pound then you are not looking after it properly. A pit bull that is not kept under control should be killed.
    Ashtown Pound are being irresponsible in returning these dogs to their owners. They should be put down. I am only writing about pit bulls not Alsatians or Huskies.

I speak as a dog owner and dog lover and someone who likes PBTs. It is like leaving a gun lying around where a kid can get at it.

Lilly/DNB wrote: »
    well something is going to have to be done about it now, as mairt says strength in numbers and we all should strike while the iron is hot, lets get a letter asking for these pounds to be inspected what ever question you all have put them all together short and sharp we will attach this letter to a petition we can leave links of this petition everywhere then send it to DCC lets see what their answer is..
    we have nothing to loose at least with us all standing together they will have to egknowledge us if anybody else has any other ideas please just fire away:confused:

I don't think that conditions are bad in Ashtown but I strongly agree that the DSPCA should inspect all pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

If you own a restricted breed and it is brought to a pound then you are not looking after it properly.

So if someone broke into my home while I was at work & my secure restricted dogs got out & were picked up, then I'm not looking after them properly & shouldn't get them back???

If you own a restricted breed and it is brought to a pound then you are not looking after it properly. A pit bull that is not kept under control should be killed.
    Ashtown Pound are being irresponsible in returning these dogs to their owners. They should be put down. I am only writing about pit bulls not Alsatians or Huskies.

I speak as a dog owner and dog lover and someone who likes PBTs. It is like leaving a gun lying around where a kid can get at it.

Why is Ashtown being irresponsible returning restricted breeds to their owners?
    And what have huskies got to do with it?

You don't sound like much of a dog lover to me. Any dog could seriously injure someone. Your average Labrador could do just the same damage as a restricted breed the same size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Sometimes dogs escape and i dont think that dog should be killed no matter what breed it is.

It isn't the dog's fault that she is an affectionat loyal pitbull. but a pitbull is a dangerous dog. Jack Russell's bite PBT have better temeremants than JR) but the bite is annoying a pit bull's bite can be fatal.

Why is Ashtown being irresponsible returning restricted breeds to their owners?
    And what have huskies got to do with it?

You don't sound like much of a dog lover to me. Any dog could seriously injure someone. Your average Labrador could do just the same damage as a restricted breed the same size.

A lab would not do the same damage as a pitbull. Also lab owners are not 99% scum. Most PBTs are abused to get them to fight. The dog should be destroyed because they an't be rehomed and the owner is not responsible enough. A pit bull is like a gun and you don't know if it is loaded or unloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

A lab would not do the same damage as a pitbull. Also lab owners are not 99% scum. Most PBTs are abused to get them to fight.

Show me the statistics to prove those scurilous and degrading assumptions..

A lab would not do the same damage as a pitbull. Also lab owners are not 99% scum. Most PBTs are abused to get them to fight. The dog should be destroyed because they an't be rehomed and the owner is not responsible enough. A pit bull is like a gun and you don't know if it is loaded or unloaded.

You should go out in the real world instead of spending your life with your nose in The Sun or the Mirror and their "DEVIL DOGS" smear campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Perhaps someone could get together an email outlining the main points that need to be raised, if we all clamour here with various things then there is a danger of all the emails focusing on different things. I think something consise and very clear would be best? At least then there will be a weight behind a few main points, instead of various claims.

Mountainy man, unfortunately your views on restricted breeds are all too common. Very misinformed, but very common. A frenzied lab could do every bit as much damage as a PBT, how could you think otherwise? As for a JRT's bite being "annoying" - how many times have you been bitten?

Advertisement