Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staying alive out there.

• 25-04-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Each and every time I go out, I get some sort of abuse from drivers or at worst they buzz past me, with an inch to spare.

I find if I give them an inch, they take a mile by trying to squeeze past me and uncoming traffic.

What is you opinions on the best road position without causing anger from drivers. Is it best to pull over, stop and keep out to the right?

I myself drive for a living, and can understand how tempers can fray.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Is it urban, rural, or N roads without a shoulder?

Don't do the urban cycling myself, but when i'm on back roads If theres a car behind me i'd dip into someones tapered driveway, or else a gateway, seems a bit dickish to hold someone up on a narrow road when they'll never get a chance to pass, same person will probably go out and buzz the next cyclist they see.

On your average R road I'd keep myself where the left wheels of cars would be, and it seems to do me alright, I find it's the tourists drive the worst, too scared to go onto the other side of the road to overtake, but it doesn't really bother me If i get a close pass if the car isn't going much quicker than me, but it's a bit scary when I get passed by someone that goes past without slowing even a bit it's off putting.

Got a bottle of pasta sauce lobbed out of a car window at me when I was in college, but it was RAG week so it was high spirits more than maliciousness, got some wimmen all dolled up covered with the sauce.

Best approach is a bit of give and take, it's the lads that cycle really hella defensively because of getting abuse a few times, the overly defensive cycling gets them even more stick off cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

"Staying alive out there"?

Dude, chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Each and every time? :eek: Maybe I've become immune to being buzzed and I don't notice it happening, but that seems excessive. Maybe you're riding too close to the left? Strangely, being too close to the left can make traffic coming up behind you think there's plenty of room, and pass you closely without slowing down. If you're further to the right, the gap is perceived as smaller and the obstacle (you) as bigger, therefore the gut reaction is to pass wider and often slowing down first. Obviously, too far to the right (without signalling intent, shoulder check, eye contact) can be seen as taking the piss, and you'll get abuse for it.

I think by default I position myself where my left wheels would be in a four-wheeled vehicle. It's not in the gutter, and it can be the smoothest spot on the road (due to use). I take the lane when I need to (with a shoulder check first, and signal if required). Very rarely need to pull in to let others go by. I will ease off if a truck is waiting to pass me and I can see it's safe to do so. Don't call them on though, you don't know what their acceleration is like.

Cyclecraft might help you with road positioning and general cycling tips, like making eye contact etc.

Be courteous, but not submissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I was out today. Got buzzed close twice on blind bends. I'm still here. Nothing I can do to prevent it except not going out. That ain't going to happen. Don't sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I got a nasty fright on the N81 yesterday . Near Blessington. Driver was going at least 100 and it felt like he was an inch away.

Got home and seen this on facebook.

Then the news where some drunk knobend got 5 years for killing a cyclist and family man..

I will tell ya. Gives me chill to think how we really are at the mercy of some idiots out there.

I dont usually ride in the position of the left tire. I will try it. Although it feels like im out too far in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭omri

The guy with the camera took his time attending to his own bike... never cycle in Russia...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭disco1

Cycling for 25 years. The safest position is about 18-24 inches out from kerb.

If you cycle close in they will indeed squeeze past you at speed. This is different to the kind of driver that will knock you down no matter where on the road you are( and of course leave your dying body on the road as was case recently).
    Personally I cycle about 24 inches out this way drivers have to go around you rather than squeeze by.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I commute to college every day, and I'm in rush hour both directions. The key is to not be submissive, be assertive without being aggressive. If you spend your life stopping to let cars past you'll never get anywhere, that's not your obligation. I try to cycle a good foot and a half out from the kerb. You'll still get the odd prick, just shrug it off. Main thing is if you seem nervous and like you're trying to keep as close as possible to the kerb, people will buzz you.

Advertisement