Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mikep wrote: »
    According to RTE.ie it is due to the findings of The Guerin report into the handling of allegations made by Sgt. Maurice McCabe.

He's more than likely going to be shown to have deliberately misled the Dail in a calculated manner. Greasy fcuker should face treason charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jaysis lads when I started this thread on the 19th of Feburary I labelled it ' "Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace" with an emphasis on the word 'should' mainly because in my heart of hearts I never believed they actually would. Now it has happened I'm pretty happy because it should have happened more than two months ago. I'm laughing now because I just know Shatter is sitting somewhere with a glass of wine in hand and he just cannot believe that a hippy like Mick Wallace was ultimately responsible for his downfall. It's quite a scalp, enjoy it, Justice has been served.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭take everything

Would love to know what Callinan and his supporters were threatening him with for this to happen.
    I don't buy he just resigned for breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭take everything

bajer101 wrote: »

Love "Gubu Level 5".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Would love to know what Callinan and his supporters were threatening him with for this to happen.
    I don't buy he just resigned for breaking the law.

He resigned on foot of the Guerin report, not over the Data Protection breach. Or that's how it's being spun anyway.

There must be some humdingers of findings in that report......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He resigned on foot of the Guerin report, not over the Data Protection breach. Or that's how it's being spun anyway.

Yeah roll on Friday when it is published. I wonder will we see the Secretary General of the DoJ resign too, his dept hasn't exactly covered themselves in glory here either

I was just watching the 6o'c news there.....

If he knew this morning (or last night, or a couple of days ago) that he'd be resigning, then he has some brass neck (even for him!) to attend the Arbour Hill commemoration this morning as MforJ&D, and then stand up and take questions this afternoon in the Dáil.

If he did all that in good faith, then what in the name of God happened in the hour or so after those Dáil questions :eek:

Either way, I'd LOVE to have been a fly on his suit for the day - there's no way we'll ever find out what actually happened, more's the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was just watching the 6o'c news there.....

If he knew this morning (or last night, or a couple of days ago) that he'd be resigning, then he has some brass neck (even for him!) to attend the Arbour Hill commemoration this morning as MforJ&D, and then stand up and take questions this afternoon in the Dáil.

If he did all that in good faith, then what in the name of God happened in the hour or so after those Dáil questions :eek:

Either way, I'd LOVE to have been a fly on his suit for the day - there's no way we'll ever find out what actually happened, more's the pity.

The Taoiseach has to officially accept the resignation of a minister, which probably took a while to finalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

There are several independent reports underway into matters relating to the Gardai don't forget, and to quote Yes Minister, "An enquiry gives us a little time? Yes, but so does a time bomb" :p

There are several independent reports underway into matters relating to the Gardai don't forget, and to quote Yes Minister, "An enquiry gives us a little time? Yes, but so does a time bomb" :p

Yes, but this is the only one he's had sight of, and he walked before he'd even had time to read the whole thing, so I'm guessing that whatever's in it was what gave him the push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The Guerin report isn't released yet, but it apparently criticises several agencies, including the DoJ. Will there be any accountability taken amongst the civil servants who either ignored important mail addressed to the Minister for 2-3 weeks or either conspired with the Minister to misinform the Dail, or knowingly allowed events they knew to be false to be reported to the Dail?

Or will it just be Shatter who takes the hit and the rest of the guilty hang in there ready to offer their integrity and skills to the next incumbent? If we are talking about institutional reform, it cant stop at just Shatter. They will replace him with another feckless eejit in a matter of hours.

@renegademaster
    sweet fa is going to happen if the people do nothing and if all we're willing ot do is go hard ont hem in the elections and fall back asleep again until april 2016 what do you all think is going to happen until then?

You're right - I walked up to the Dail yesterday and glared in at it from the gates. Seem to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The end is very near now for Shatter. Word on the street is that the review into the GSOC bugging affair by former High Court Judge John Cooke will be his Waterloo..
    Good call! You never know who you're mingling with on boards. Them's different streets to the ones I walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Slick50 wrote: »
    Good call! You never know who you're mingling with on boards. Them's different streets to the ones I walk.

Thanks, but it's being reported that it's the Guerin report that led to this. I still think that it's the upcoming Cooke report that is really behind this. The Wallace affair was damaging but they were riding that out, and the Guerin report does seem to be very damaging, but if the Cooke report is as bad as is being rumoured, then he would have had no choice. Enda seemed prepared to back him to the hilt regardless, but if the Cooke report shows that Shatter mislead Enda - that's just a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Prime time tonight

On tonight's Prime Time Special, we reveal details of the dossier of allegations that led to the resignation of Alan Shatter. #rtept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Thanks, but it's being reported that it's the Guerin report that led to this. I still think that it's the upcoming Cooke report that is really behind this.
    I see. It's a wonder he didn't argue he should stay and be vaunted for commissioning the report. It's a poor reflection on Kenny too, that he so steadfastly supported Shatter so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm waiting now to see if Alan is gone completely from Govt office, or if it's only as DOJ that he's gone. He was, up til this afternoon, holding two ministry portfolios. Edna's Dail statement referred only to the DOJ Minister resigning.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm waiting now to see if Alan is gone completely from Govt office, or if it's only as DOJ that he's gone. He was, up til this afternoon, holding two ministry portfolios.

I've asked that on a few threads since this afternoon, have yet to get any sort of an answer!

Someone pointed out that there can only be 15 ministers according to the constitution - so on that basis, if it's correct, he'll have to give up Defence as well......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

I'm waiting now to see if Alan is gone completely from Govt office, or if it's only as DOJ that he's gone. He was, up til this afternoon, holding two ministry portfolios. Edna's Dail statement referred only to the DOJ Minister resigning.

We hope he's gone altogether. As one commentator said 'its was case of resign or be gassed out'

Slick50 wrote: »
    I see. It's a wonder he didn't argue he should stay and be vaunted for commissioning the report. It's a poor reflection on Kenny too, that he so steadfastly supported Shatter so long.

It has been a poor reflection on Kenny for a very long time. He has supported Shatter because Shatter supported him during the Richard Bruton push.
    I'm waiting now to see if Alan is gone completely from Govt office, or if it's only as DOJ that he's gone. He was, up til this afternoon, holding two ministry portfolios.

He is gone from both departments. He signed off his resignation letter as Alan Shatter, T.D.

It has been a poor reflection on Kenny for a very long time. He has supported Shatter because Shatter supported him during the Richard Bruton push.

He is gone from both departments. He signed off his resignation letter as Alan Shatter, T.D.

Signed as minister for justice, bla,bla,bla
    http://www.finegael.ie/latest-news/2014/statement-by-minister-for-1/Document.pdf

• Advertisement

We hope he's gone altogether. As one commentator said 'its was case of resign or be gassed out'
    Even if you're just repeating what someone else said, that comment is bang out of order. And I see you've put it on another thread as well. Both reported.

Even if you're just repeating what someone else said, that comment is bang out of order. And I see you've put it on another thread as well. Both reported.
    What are you on about:confused:

Signed as minister for justice, bla,bla,bla.. http://www.finegael.ie/latest-news/2...1/Document.pdf

Read that in this: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/alan-shatter-the-only-way-controversy-can-be-avoided-is-by-offering-my-resignation-1.1787011

It didn't have his signature though (copies sig for future use) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

What are you on about:confused:

gas and jews presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

gas and jews presumably

I was gassed out of a building once ........ teargas it was

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What are you on about???

Oh, the wounded innocence. Except here's another post by you:
    It would take someone like the leader of NSDAP to get rid of Sh*tter. Bord Gais may have a chamber available.

Yeah....so, permaban. Possible Soc ban.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

While I do not support the ex minister in will be reporting your comments to AGS under http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/ would be lovely to see a case am happy to give evidence.

Hmm, you're right. I apologise. I was lead to believe that the resignation letter was signed off as T.D. I wouldn't read too much into that though. He's gone from both departments.

• Advertisement

Just listening to Enda on RTE's Oireachtas report, stating that GSOC did not co-operate with Mr Guerin. Liz is taking him to task for that. Stupid Enda, it would have been better to say the report is there for all to read and draw their own conclusions.

Advertisement