Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive skin when shaving.

• 17-05-2012 9:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

My skin is pretty sensitive to shaving. Especially the neck area. I've tried sensitive shaving gel, sensitive razors, even ended up buying some Loreal moisturiser to see if that helped. They haven't. The skin on my neck gets very irritated and I get the occasional cut too.

If you guys have any tips, like products you've used to help this, let me know. But mostly I'm asking for advice on an electric shaver. I've never owned one. Am I still going to get irritation and cuts with these? Argos has a 'fathers day' bunch of offers going on now with sales on electric shavers. Some even advertise that I can use the with shaving foam. They're unlikely to give a very close shave aren't they? I could live with that if I could do something about this damn irritation. It's driving me nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Which way do you shave, and have you tried the other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Had all the exact same issues as you, best thing i ever did was go back to using a safety razor like this set

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

I also watched some youtube videos on the correct way to use it, best move i ever made, and i am enjoying shaving for once rather than dreading it.

I dont think a dry shave is for you if you suffer from irration easily.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah I always use shaving gel... so the electric one that seems to work with that seems good.

When shaving I usually go both ways on the face, straight down on the neck. The skin there is just really sensitive. :(

That link looks good thanks, but what's the story with the blades, regarding replacement etc.?

Thanks for the quick replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Organic Aloe Vera gel from a good health store is cooling and helps the razor to glide. Use a single blade cheap razor to do a '1st cut' ... re-gel and use a twin or 3-blader for a 2nd cut. Always produces a smooth, cool finish. You don't need soaps or gels, Aloe does it well. I also find organic hair conditioner a good substitute ... good enough for the hair on your head, good enough for your chin.
    Luckily, I only need shave 2 or 3 times a week - didn't start until I was 25 ... now mid-50's with a baby's arse smoothness :o)

Andy!! wrote: »
    Yeah I always use shaving gel... so the electric one that seems to work with that seems good.

When shaving I usually go both ways on the face, straight down on the neck. The skin there is just really sensitive. :(

That link looks good thanks, but what's the story with the blades, regarding replacement etc.?

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Blades are dirt cheap and there are loads of replacements you can try out , personally i like feather blades they are ninja sharp, but dont last as long as some of the others, if you get the starter set i linked to it comes with an 18 blade sampler, with all different ones. For example 100 feather blades are 31 euros, i would expect these to last me a few years :D

If you take the time to learn to do it properly you will not look back.

Ah also when shaving the neck hairs can travel different ways in different parts, i dont reccomend a up/down shave, i would always reccomend

1st pass with the grain,
    2nd across the grain,
    3rd against the grain but only if it feels ok any resistance and i go at maybe 45 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭shane.

nivea post shave sensitive balm is excellent, not at all greasy and really cools the skin

Excellent advice guys. So would you say that I should avoid electric shavers altogether? Even those that allow usage with shaving gel?

Excellent advice guys. So would you say that I should avoid electric shavers altogether? Even those that allow usage with shaving gel?
    I have used those with shaving gel, and to me it always left me irritated, i think those with sensitive skin on the neck just should avoid the dry shave imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

i used to get a rash if I shaved two or more days in a row. started using this stuff and no problems with rash or redness or anything these days if I do want to be clean shaving for a period!

http://www.lookmantastic.com/men-u-matt-skin-refresh-gel-100ml/10360354.html

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

I shave electric & had this problem. Then I read that the heads get warm as you shave & this causes the sensitive skin on the neck to come up in a rash.

The advice was to shave these areas first, while the shaver head is cool, and then do the rest. Following it solved my problem.

• Advertisement

Hmm. OK I might avoid electric altogether then! They sound just as bad. Thanks for the link eoferrall, I'll check it out when the site comes back on-line for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A little weird one but its helped me.

Rub on some Baby Oil onto you skin. Leave for 5 minutes. It helps release the ours in your skin. Then add the shaving gel, leave for minute or two.

This has helped me greatly. Don't get irritation anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Lads, we have a Facial Hair forum. Lots of advice on traditional double-edge (safety) and straight (cut-throat) shaving.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

OP, avoid electrics if you are prone to irritation, I suggest learning to prep your beard using hot shower or hot towel, pre-shave like a Proraso menthol creme, and a good sharp traditional razor used properly. You will be amazed at how good your shave can feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Here's my *simple but highly effective* shaving tip:

Put some aqueous cream on your face. Take a couple of minutes out to brush your teeth, then shave in the normal way.

Notice how comfortable it now feels to shave. Notice how you don't get any nicks or cuts anymore.

Worth a try, isn't it?

Let me know how you guys get on!!

Thanks for the advice.
    MadsL wrote: »
    Lads, we have a Facial Hair forum.

That has to be the weirdest thing you've said in a while :pac: Go on, admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

That has to be the weirdest thing you've said in a while :pac: Go on, admit it.

Nope, I recently asked "Is it a H shaped one over a metre wide?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Courtney Drab Arrowhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The worst and most irritating shave I've had in my life came from an electric razor. My skin is fairly sensitive and when I was using a multi blade razor, my neck would get torn to shreds, get really itchy and I'd get bad razor burn, even with new blades. It was so bad my friends and family used to comment on it.

I switched to a safety razor over 2 years ago and I've never looked back. A safety razor is a single blade razor. The 1st pass is with the grain. The 2nd pass is against the grain. For the 2nd pass I put some King of Shaves shave gel on my neck and then cover it and the rest of my face in proper shaving soap. To finish I use a bit of Proraso post shaving cream, it gives a very cooling sensation. The irritation is practically non-existent now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

use shaving oil instead of foam.... the oil is much better and causes less friction between the blade and your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Used to be the same, switched from gel to foam to this:

Palmolive-Shave-Stick-soap.jpg

It's fantastic, no rash or spots since.

Thanks I'll try that... is it an oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Excellent advice guys. So would you say that I should avoid electric shavers altogether?

Definitely!! I know I have to! Wet shave only for me, haven't been able to use them other ones for years, it just destroys my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭Tefral

I used to be riddled after a shave. I went and had a turkish shave in Turkey and the guy gave me an Alum Block.

Ive never looked back. You rub it on after your finished and instantly cleared up skin.. its actually amazing.

Im pretty sure you can get em anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Thanks I'll try that... is it an oil?

Shave Stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

If you use a electric shaver first and the razor with a good shaving gel after that, you shouldn't have any problems. Be sure to wash your face properly with hot water before using the razor....

I can't find the poster who suggested I leave the shaving cream on for a minute or two before shaving, but I just tried it, and maybe its because I hadn't shaven in a few days, but it made a massive difference! Thanks. I'm going to try all the other recommendations too.

Where in Dublin would I buy an Alum block? Also, Youtookmyname, where did you buy that shave stick? I looked in boots and tesco in Jervis yesterday but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I can't find the poster who suggested I leave the shaving cream on for a minute or two before shaving, but I just tried it, and maybe its because I hadn't shaven in a few days, but it made a massive difference! Thanks. I'm going to try all the other recommendations too.

Where in Dublin would I buy an Alum block? Also, Youtookmyname, where did you buy that shave stick? I looked in boots and tesco in Jervis yesterday but no luck.

Amazed at how many people do not realise this and still just put it on and off they go

Why would you put shaving cream on in first place. It has a purpose, let it do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Where in Dublin would I buy an Alum block?

Shaving.ie

Failing that try Knights on the Green barbers shop. Look into Proraso pre and post cream on shaving.ie. Best thing I ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i got a new job and i now have to shave every day , bummer, i used to shave once a week, after my 1st week my skins in bits !!! i have a bad boily spot on my cheek and my neck feels terrible!!!! thanks for the advice on here folks.

can you buy aqueous cream in your usual shops?

Advertisement