Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School Absent Days

Options
  • 16-04-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi There Again,
    So I have a question about missing days from school as a student.
    So Soon enough I have to get minor surgery done and I will need to recover for maybe a week or so but i have missed 14 Days due to genuine sickness , If I go past the 20 Days what happens next? Will I have to repeat the year I am in? Will the social services/guards be involved etc etc....
    Thanks for advice!:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you submitted reasons to the school for your absence? If the absences are accounted for when you go over 20 days and the school is satisfied the reasons are correct, you won't need to expect social services or the gardaí! The school has to report that 20 days have missed but can indicate that they are not worried.

If the school was to be concerned, you could be reported even before 20 days, something people don't seem to realise.

So, relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Have you submitted reasons to the school for your absence? If the absences are accounted for when you go over 20 days and the school is satisfied the reasons are correct, you won't need to expect social services or the gardaí! The school has to report that 20 days have missed but can indicate that they are not worried.

If the school was to be concerned, you could be reported even before 20 days, something people don't seem to realise.

So, relax!

Yes , For every day that I have missed , There has been a valid reason given IN WRITING.
    e.g. : Vomiting Bug , Flu etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Well then you are in the clear. As I said, the school have to report the 20 days but as you have supplied reasons and they feel these are genuine, you're grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

jamie124 wrote: »
    Hi There Again,
    So I have a question about missing days from school as a student.
    So Soon enough I have to get minor surgery done and I will need to recover for maybe a week or so but i have missed 14 Days due to genuine sickness , If I go past the 20 Days what happens next? Will I have to repeat the year I am in? Will the social services/guards be involved etc etc....
    Thanks for advice!:eek:

Make sure to get a medical cert for the days you miss. With a cert, there should be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dont worry about it, if your parents have informed the school then its grand.

We've had cases of absentees over 60 days (and thats low on guards/dept. priority ) . dept. are barely coping trying to deal with worst cases of abuse and neglect so you'ld be pretty low on the priority scale OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Thanks for the advice everyone :-) PHEW!

Advertisement