Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'71

• 24-08-2014 9:29am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Starring Jack O'Connell from Starred Up this looks like it could be quite decent. I'm a big fan of films based on the troubles so I'm really looking forward to this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Well it got Rave reviews at Berlin Film Festival, and the word going around in a few film magazines that it's a pretty gripping piece of cinema. Jack O'Connell has a bit of the Tom Hardy about him, he's already giving a awesome performance in the brilliant Starred up. Really Looking forward to this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Looper007 wrote: »
    Well it got Rave reviews at Berlin Film Festival, and the word going around in a few film magazines that it's a pretty gripping piece of cinema. Jack O'Connell has a bit of the Tom Hardy about him, he's already giving a awesome performance in the brilliant Starred up. Really Looking forward to this film.

Watched Starred Up at the weekend. Brilliant movie. Jack O'Connell is such a good actor.

gazzer wrote: »
    Watched Starred Up at the weekend. Brilliant movie. Jack O'Connell is such a good actor.

He was something special in Skins Generation 2 and was the real stand out from that cast, a bit like Nicholas Hoult was in Generation 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is out tomorrow, pretty excited to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

Film of the year for me so far. Reviews are 4 stars almost across the board for some reason. This is a 5 star masterpiece. Fairly traumatic mind.

• Advertisement

Well goddamn, that was brilliant. I agree, one of the best films of the year. Who'd have thought Jack O'Conell would be such a good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Came across the trailer today, looks good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Doesn't seem to be in any cinema in Galway which is a pain- the reviews and the trailer make me really wanna see it.
    Someone described it as "Die Hard-esque" which sounds fun

EDIT: Dublin only this week so in Eye Cinema from 17th Oct

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well goddamn, that was brilliant. I agree, one of the best films of the year. Who'd have thought Jack O'Conell would be such a good actor.

It was a excellent film and one of this years best. I loved the fact that you could have set this anywhere at anytime as it wasn't another "troubles" film rather a top notch thriller that had me and anyone around me (the screening was full for this when I went to see it) gripping our seats. They don't make cat and mouse chase films like this anymore.

O'Connell has two of the best films of this year under his belt and two top notch performances (check out the brilliant Starred Up) and it doesn't surprise me he's a top actor, he proved it at any early age with This Is England and he was by far the best thing in Skins generation 2. He's got the Tom Hardy vibe about him. What I loved about his character in this they didn't make him into Liam Neeson type armed solider with all sorts of different skills rather a frightened man who's living on his wits and will alone just wanting to get back to safe ground. Nearly all the film he doesn't say a word its all played on his face and one scene stands out to me
    when he is screaming in pain as a man tries to heal his wounds is actually really frightening
    . Top notch acting.

No one side comes out of this looking good at all so you can't accuse the film of taking sides
    The British are seen as killers of their own men and stupid, helping supply UVF with bombs and willing to cover anything up to save their bacon and members of the IRA are seen as rats
    . Sean Harris with dodgy sideburns and hair is brilliant as the dodgy police man (does he play anything else). You will spot great Irish talent in David Wilmot and some of the cast from Love/Hate in it (Killian Scott and Charlie Murphy). The Ending
    Where everything is covered up is a little downbeat and Harris character gets away with it
    but the film belongs to O'Connell who really is turning into one of the best young actors around.

One of the little bits I liked best was
    when he's the bedroom with the girl, and he says he's from Darbyshire, and she says her family have relatives in Nottingham. He then says people from Darbyshire and Nottingham don't like each other very much, but when she asks why, he just says he doesn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No one side comes out of this looking good at all so you can't accuse the film of taking sides .

which makes a refreshing change, as most movies about the troubles have a pro republican/nationalist slant

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There were a couple of silly plot contrivances but they didn’t take away from an otherwise excellent film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was expecting this to focus a bit more on the Troubles. Otherwise, it's a superb thriller/chiller. Making O'Connell's character a rookie as opposed to a Bryan Mills type character is a fantastic idea and a great way of conveying tension.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Yer man is a fantastic actor

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

yermandan wrote: »
    Yer man is a fantastic actor

You talking about yoursef in the 3rd person again?

I agree though, oscar buzz surrounding his role in Unbroken already, Angelina Jolies latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Probably go to this tomorrow night. Looks decent, heard good things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Saw this the other day, definitely one of the better films I have seen this year, I enjoyed it more than Gone Girl a few days previously. Like ancapailldorcha said its surpisingly apolitical despite the setup/location, just a straight up suspense/action movie with some excellent performances, also one of those increasingly rare films that is exactly as long as it needs to be.

Just back from this.

Quite a good tense thriller. Strong directorial debut. The cast was very good overall, I really like Sean Harris since Southcliffe and The Borgias (ignore him in Promethus though). Dark 70's Belfast estates at night are a perfect backdrop for some urban hunting. The little wee lad got some needed laughs and gasps out of the crowd.

Short but sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I thought the film really petered out and became gradually less interesting after the incredible opening act. An admirable stab but it just didn't hook me in the way I was hoping.

e_e wrote: »
    I thought the film really petered out and became gradually less interesting after the incredible opening act. An admirable stab but it just didn't hook me in the way I was hoping.

Although the
    shoot out towards the end and the young private not standing up for himself was a little bit weak,
    I thought it was tightly put together and the suspense and tenseness brought out a watchable thriller.

Given that, the riot scene was probably the best in the film.

• Advertisement

Jesus e_e :pac: "admirable stab" it was a great suspenseful movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jesus e_e :pac: "admirable stab" it was a great suspenseful movie.
    In your opinion. I wouldn't dismiss yours so hastily just because I had a different response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enjoyable and atmospheric thriller. The moody cinematography and soundtrack particularly maintain the momentum for the most part. Reminded me of a Belfast take on The Raid quite a bit :pac:

I did feel the film was a bit top-heavy in terms of characters, which dulled the impact of the finale quite a bit when there were too many subplots to wrap up. And would have loved the film to end
    on the shot of O'Connell walking down the corridor after the meeting with his superiors - given how long the shot lasted, it genuinely seemed like there was a about to be a cut to black. The proceeding epilogue scenes IMO felt redundant - over-emphasising the character's destination and failing to find a final shot as visually potent and efficient as the corridor one.

Oh yeah, anyone who hasn't seen Southcliffe (TV series) with Sean Harris, the undercover captain in '71, check it out. Really dark and broody stuff. One of the best British mini series in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Enjoyable and atmospheric thriller. The moody cinematography and soundtrack particularly maintain the momentum for the most part. Reminded me of a Belfast take on The Raid quite a bit :pac:

I did feel the film was a bit top-heavy in terms of characters, which dulled the impact of the finale quite a bit when there were too many subplots to wrap up. And would have loved the film to end
    on the shot of O'Connell walking down the corridor after the meeting with his superiors - given how long the shot lasted, it genuinely seemed like there was a about to be a cut to black. The proceeding epilogue scenes IMO felt redundant - over-emphasising the character's destination and failing to find a final shot as visually potent and efficient as the corridor one.

Agree about the ending, and not just for artistic reasons:
    a minor complaint was its implausibitiy, as walking away from the Army would probably not be so straightforward; more troubling, it contrasted withdrawal from bleak, morally-decayed Belfast with a retreat into idyllic British countryside. Telling that we never saw any pretty landscapes in Northern Ireland.

For all the film's posturing about collusion and corruption in the British forces, I felt it overly sympathetic to the powers-that-be, as if the shenanigans in the North were an example of circumstance bringing out the worst in a otherwise upright, tally-ho lads British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

"Starred up" didn't appeal to me, but this one looks interesting.
    Herself enquired if that the ' symbol indicated inches, but I let go, because misses GM only knows metric

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Same. Wish it had just stuck with the group of newbies trying to make sense of it all when they arrive there instead of going where it went. Didn't buy in to some of the performances (Killian Scott, for example), cinematography irked me a little at times, too contrived in parts (
    conveniently gets picked up by some ex-medic
    ) and the last ten minutes was littered with cliches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why didn't the undercover
    English fella shoot
    Killian Scott? What was the
    point in letting him
    go sure
    he may as well have shot him
    ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Neeson wrote: »
    Why didn't the undercover
    English fella shoot
    Killian Scott? What was the
    point in letting him
    go sure
    he may as well have shot him
    ?
    He was probably offering an arrangement whereby he keeps the police and the army off Scott's character's back in exchange for a share of any profits he might make selling guns, drugs or whatever.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He was probably offering an arrangement whereby he keeps the police and the army off Scott's character's back in exchange for a share of any profits he might make selling guns, drugs or whatever.

That wouldn't seem realistic though. I'm sure
    Scott
    would have him shat if he saw him again and
    wouldn't like a British
    mawn coming over there telling him what to do so he may as well have shat
    him when he had the chance

Advertisement