Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity Workers At The Checkout???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

SoulTrader wrote: »
    3 or 4 times lately, when paying with a credit card (in the US), I've been asked if I would add a dollar to my bill for some charity or other.

I got something similar in Elvery's here. They ask do you want to buy one of those runner bags for 'insert charity name' for €2 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik with Dunnes stores all bag packers are brought in store for an intensive training day before they are unleashed on the public and all must be at least 14 or 16 years old although a 10 year old would probably pack better than some gormless teenager:D

You have got to be joking - they most certainly do not. A couple of weeks ago I was in Cornelscourt on a Saturday and one of the first aid charities was on the trolley lanes doing packing. My packer was a gormless-looking teenage boy, about 15 or so. As I had a black canvas bag I was able to keep control of things so I stepped forward holding on to my bag when the girl stared scanning my stuff. Midway through the process and with my bag half full she scanned a head of lettuce and fired it down the slope towards me, I pushed it to one side to put it in last and what did my packer do? He picked it up and tried to put it in the bag even though there was several heavy items still to go in, I politely took it from him and told him I would do the packing so he backed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

The only charity thing I don't mind is the old ladies sitting in a corner somewhere (probably talking to one of their friends) collecting for something or other. Bag packers, chuggers,door to door and those guys that set up stalls outside doors of shops/post offices and get in your face about it can f right off.

I'm the same really. It saddened me at Christmas seeing elderly people sitting in my local shopping centre with the Rehab teddy bears. I don't think they were getting much support, understandably. They were still prepared to give their time, and effort, as they had been doing, probably for years.
    I pack my own bags at the checkout, but throw in a few euro, if I have it, and depending on what they are collecting for.
    I do not entertain chuggers of any sort, I steer clear. I don't entertain door to door callers of any sort either.
    Like many others, I have my own 'pet' charities that I support, for one reason, or another, and I stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got something similar in Elvery's here. .
    I had similar in mcdonalds
    rubadub wrote: »
    I was in McDonalds and asked if I wanted to donate a euro, or maybe 2 euro to some childrens charity by the person serving me. I didn't see them doing it to anybody else, could have been since I handed in a 50 note and they might be under orders. The server seemed possibly embarrassed or awkward about doing it, like they way they used to have to ask "do you want fries with that", when they knew fine well you probably didn't.

I doubt the server got any take of the profits, like normal chuggers would, who would be more enthusiastic about their loophole begging.

They had charity cookies at the counter too, she wasn't offering me them or anything.

I expect many of the teenagers are also roped into doing this gig and would rather have no part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

^^

I'd say that was for their Ronald McDonald House in Crumlin hospital.
    They normally just keep the charity tins at the till, I've never seen them offer the opportunity to donate, like a link save purchase to the customer almost.

I hope they don't begin to pressure people into it, and I say that as someone who has experience of the House, it's a fantastic initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

MYOB wrote: »
    I think I quite seriously shocked the assistant in a TJ Maxx in a poor-ish part of Oregon by agreeing to that - they'd just asked in general without an amount and I ended up giving $5. Was saving more than that with their 0% sales tax anyway...

TK Maxx in Ireland have on a few occasions asked me if I wanted to add a €1 onto my total for charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

I don't really mind them at too much. Because I've been involved in raising money over the years for different clubs etc, (never done packing though) I know it's not easy to do and I appreciate anyone who gets up off their a55 to do it. Pitches, facilities gear, insurance etc all has to be paid for. For every parent that is at a checkout packing bags, there are 10 more with their kids using the same facilities, who are at home sitting on their holes.

That said though, it does annoy me when I see a few sulky teenagers there who are just standing around and basically begging. Because I will give them some kind of a donation either way, I will scan the checkouts to see which one has packers that look like they know what they are doing and get some value from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I guess though my question would be why do you expect the general shopping public to pay for your pitches, equipment etc? Surely the parents who's kids are in said clubs should be forking out, or hold general fundraiser events AT the club where people can choose to come and support

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

hdowney wrote: »
    I guess though my question would be why do you expect the general shopping public to pay for your pitches, equipment etc? Surely the parents who's kids are in said clubs should be forking out, or hold general fundraiser events AT the club where people can choose to come and support

My question would as be to the company themselves, if they want to help out charities that's fine donate some of their profits but don't push **** on to your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I am on the parents association of my kids school and one of the parents has booked a bag packing day in Tesco around Halloween. We are a tiny school so all of us are expected to cover a slot on the day. The thought of it is terrorising me already.

I can think of nothing worse to do in relation to fundraising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I am on the parents association of my kids school and one of the parents has booked a bag packing day in Tesco around Halloween. We are a tiny school so all of us are expected to cover a slot on the day. The thought of it is terrorising me already.

What do the parents association intend to do with the cash raised? Would there be cash available then to the parents of a child who couldn't afford the crested tracksuit etc for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Sylvia Millions Rage

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    What do the parents association intend to do with the cash raised? Would there be cash available then to the parents of a child who couldn't afford the crested tracksuit etc for instance?

Oh come on! Schools are always strapped for cash. Library resources, IT equipment, classroom teaching aids. The list is endless.
    I still don't like charity bag packers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am on the parents association of my kids school ...
    Did you or anyone else voice their disapproval? I expect others would similarly not be happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I would be honest with them, I'd tell them that I'm more than happy to help out with fundraising (a cake sale or car boot sale for example) but that I find bag packing fundraising to be an uncomfortable experience from both sides so I'd rather just not get involved with this particular project ........ they'd surely have to respect and understand your feelings and if they don't well .......... **** them!!

Oh come on! Schools are always strapped for cash. Library resources, IT equipment, classroom teaching aids. The list is endless.
    I still don't like charity bag packers though!

I know its just that I am personally aware of 2 seperate incidents of Parents Association secerataries stealing funds from the A/C.
    In one case the entire account was wiped out by someone under severe financial pressure but every penny has been repaid over a period of 2 years (€10000)
    The other case is far more complex, almost clinical embezzlement over many many years (€50000) by someone very comfortably off an extremely overpowering individual highly respected until this in a small rural community. Its in the hands of the Gardai now and the person has adopted a " you can't prove anything" attitude.

I know its just that I am personally aware of 2 seperate incidents of Parents Association secerataries stealing funds from the A/C.
    In one case the entire account was wiped out by someone under severe financial pressure but every penny has been repaid over a period of 2 years (€10000)
    The other case is far more complex, almost clinical embezzlement over many many years (€50000) by someone very comfortably off an extremely overpowering individual highly respected until this in a small rural community. Its in the hands of the Gardai now and the person has adopted a " you can't prove anything" attitude.

Surely that has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue of charity bagpackers, be they for schools or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm neither here nor there on bag packers and I haven't seen any here in the Netherlands, just curious about:
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    this is of course ignored as they stuff tins of beans onto your sliced pan which ruins the beans on toast you'd planned to have later
    calex71 wrote: »
    I've always said no thinks for the same reason as above , bread gets packed 1st and anything and everything put in on top :mad:

...eggs at the bottom etc. How do you unload your trolley onto the belt? I always try to unload bottles, cans, milk jugs etc first, then cleaning products, then meat packets, then boxes of stuff and finish up with the eggs, crisps, bread and anything else I'm trying to keep in good shape. Then I pack my bags with the heavy stuff that came down first, bulk them out with the plastic packets and boxes and then put the delicate stuff on top, and one bag for non-food. Obviously bag packers should doing this too but if they're loading the beans on top of the bread (or putting strawberries in the same bag as the bleach) what way were the groceries slung down the belt? 'Cos never mind bag packers, the till assistant doesn't care if your beans squash your bread either!

Surely that has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue of charity bagpackers, be they for schools or not?

Most bag packing around here is for the various Parents Associations and these incidents have certainly coloured my attitude as a result.

I agree .......... I started this thread because I don't like bag packing fundraisers regardless of the charity

I'm neither here nor there on bag packers and I haven't seen any here in the Netherlands, just curious about:

...eggs at the bottom etc. How do you unload your trolley onto the belt? I always try to unload bottles, cans, milk jugs etc first, then cleaning products, then meat packets, then boxes of stuff and finish up with the eggs, crisps, bread and anything else I'm trying to keep in good shape. Then I pack my bags with the heavy stuff that came down first, bulk them out with the plastic packets and boxes and then put the delicate stuff on top, and one bag for non-food. Obviously bag packers should doing this too but if they're loading the beans on top of the bread (or putting strawberries in the same bag as the bleach) what way were the groceries slung down the belt? 'Cos never mind bag packers, the till assistant doesn't care if your beans squash your bread either!

The problem is while you're grabbing the heavy items first to pack your bag the bag packers are reaching across you to grab whatever comes to hand first and shoving it into whatever bag they see first ........... I've now gotten into the habit of saying no thanks (which is usually ignored) and leaving my bags in the car (I fill the trolley and pack my bags in the car boot) and just ignoring the charity jar as I push my trolley past them ......... has been working a treat so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

The problem is while you're grabbing the heavy items first to pack your bag the bag packers are reaching across you to grab whatever comes to hand first and shoving it into whatever bag they see first

They really need some training, then! I'm sure some people are fussier then me and others less fussy than me but a bit of common sense needs to be drilled into kids doing the job. It's now your stuff and you care about it getting back to your house in decent shape and some child flinging the items into the bags willy nilly with no thought for weight and structual integrity is not worth paying for.

If they could do a decent job where they're actually helping you out instead of destroying your food then people might be more kindly disposed towards them - charity fundraisers take note!

They should also be very much aware that not everyone is willing or able to donate and be prepared to take a step back if so requested. Or carry groceries to the car in exchange for a donation instead.

They really need some training, then! I'm sure some people are fussier then me and others less fussy than me but a bit of common sense needs to be drilled into kids doing the job. It's now your stuff and you care about it getting back to your house in decent shape and some child flinging the items into the bags willy nilly with no thought for weight and structual integrity is not worth paying for.

If they could do a decent job where they're actually helping you out instead of destroying your food then people might be more kindly disposed towards them - charity fundraisers take note!

They should also be very much aware that not everyone is willing or able to donate and be prepared to take a step back if so requested. Or carry groceries to the car in exchange for a donation instead.

The problem is it's not a "job" and a lot of the people doing don't seem to be really happy doing it .......... they will never care about your stuff.
    Supermarkets need to do a survey asking their customers if they would rather have the bag packers or not and act accordingly depending on the results of the survey ie BAN THEM!!! :D

Most bag packing around here is for the various Parents Associations and these incidents have certainly coloured my attitude as a result.

Still you have no reason to slate all parents associations because of theft elsewhere. I know of fraud and theft prosecuted against persons in a GAA club, a youth club for the disabled, and a parish. Does that then suggest everybody involved in funding of any of those groups is also on the take? Of course not! Your logic does not hold. Dislike bagpackers because you would like to pack your own bags, if you wish. But not because they could all be stealing the funds. Theft could be happening any money you give anybody anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Honestly you need to tell them you are not prepared to do it. That you have issues with this particular form of fundraising. You have no problem doing a bake sale, bring and buy etc but you don't do back packs. No-one can force you to do something you disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What irks me is when buying fuel at Topaz, the counter assistant asking me for an extra €1 for their particular charity. If Topaz want to support a particular charity by donating a cent per tank fill or whatever that's fine, but by asking me to give a €1 its taking the p*ss unless they match it Euro for Euro.

Applegreen donate 1c out of each euro to charity. It's advertised heavily in their stores, well my local one anyway. Just had a look at their website and they have a page for it. Crumlin Childrens Hospital and a charity I never heard of before to do with parents of young families struggling with beareavement

Applegreen will push their loyalty card on you but they never ask for charity money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Went to tesco once in a.world of my own. Got asked if I wanted my bags packed for charity. Looked up and it was my ex fiancee doing the packing. Awkward!!!!
    I'll always say no, and keep hold of the bags so they can't just go ahead anyway. Plus I shop mostly in lidl now :)

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Went to tesco once in a.world of my own. Got asked if I wanted my bags packed for charity. Looked up and it was my ex fiancee doing the packing. Awkward!!!!
    I'll always say no, and keep hold of the bags so they can't just go ahead anyway. Plus I shop mostly in lidl now :)

I'm assuming you gave your ex something? A euro at least!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

I'm assuming you gave your ex something? A euro at least!! lol

He did....a dose of the clap.....why do you think she's his ex?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I'll always say no, and keep hold of the bags so they can't just go ahead anyway. :)

Ding ding ding....we have a winner for today's Use Your Brain Award. :D

I don't mind the collectors. I never use them, as I prefer to do my own packing, for the obvious reason of not wanting heavy items on top of the squishy ones. When asked if I require help I always find that a loud "No thanks, I have my own packing system that I prefer to use" always works.

I have never had someone ignore me and just start packing anyway. If that does happen to someone repeatedly, then perhaps they just need to communicate better, louder and clearer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

He did....a dose of the clap.....why do you think she's his ex?!

I'm female

Advertisement