Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It wasnt so bad as i just did it as part of character gearing, i also got lucky with the boost items they had. I did the runestone section in one week, i did find that in the end though as people got more gear getting through LFR became quite easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It wasnt hard but I was able to do SoO and was sitting there doing to IoT every week to get very few of the relics. I just gave up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Companion box

So glad raid finder is basically becoming tourist mode in the expansion. But all its going to do is dump all those horrible players into pick up normal groups unfortunately.

They will have to adapt or stop playing as they will be kicked quite fast from a pug.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not done raiding in a long time, but even regular dungeon pugs are bloody anti-social these days. People used to chat about stuff while grouping, and would be up for a bit of a laugh, but now your lucky if you even get a hello. All that is left is an endless loot run. I know some people are ok with that, but it kind of feels like the heart of the game is gone.

Still playing / enjoying it, and i'll still get the expansion, but it's just not the same anymore. Will enjoy a month of two of the expansion, and will probably quit again afterwards.

I've had a good run :)

• Advertisement

The problem with dungeons ect is that they never invested in the small time player, instead they put all the dev work into Flex ect.

Long gone are the days of hard HC dungeons where you had to work hard as a team to get it done.

My ilvl is so high that i do 300K plus dps in most dungeons i run, if i had a healer/tank with me we could 3 man it and in many cases that is essentially what happens.

The max time i spend in a dungeon is probably between 10-15 mins if even depending on the bosses.

So yes if you only do the dungeons it can seem like the game has losts its heart but in reality what has happened is people have it on farm and just expect to breeze through it half afk.

Generally what happens when the content is 3 years old and the most basic raid ilevel a good 100 levels over what was intended for that 5 man around launch.

The exact same thing happened towards the end of each expansion, but its just worse here given the gear gap and the huge delay for warlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

True on the above. Typically the early part of an expansion Dungeons provide some difficulty and there needs to be some communication and co-ordination. But as players start getting geared in raids, obviously this content will become easier.

Remember that Heroic dungeons are meant to be the first gearing step in order to get into raids. So raiders are typically in these in the early part of the expansion aswell. But once they start raiding, they will stop heroic dungeons. They get their weekly valor caps from raids, and simply put don't need to gear from there anymore.

So after the first tier is underway, typically the high quality players are gone from dungeons, and whats left are dungeon enthusiats, people getting caps who don't raid, or people gearing alts.

In terms of bursting through them, yeah, I think we take a few minutes to get through a heroic is looking to cap a friends valor, or ourselves. We are punching out 300+k DPS and its a walk in he park. I did a dungeon on my new main last night where four other players were heroic warforged, we finished the dungeon in about 5 minutes.

For dungeon enthusiasts they brought in challenge modes, which is good. I didn't partake in it much, but it is a popular function that people enjoyed running dungeons competitively.

LFR is definitely up there with one of the worst implementations ever in my view. Absolutely horrendous addition to the game, and making it a requirement in terms of the gearing steps was a rubbish call. As much as they say it wont be in WOD, we all know, that it will be to a large extent. Absolutely horrendous functionality I despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

LFR is a direct reason why dungeons are so easy now. Rather than gearing in heroics and then raiding, you just spam LFR, and once you've done that enough, you're flying through dungeons again. The time is takes to out gear the low content is way too fast. Instead of the occasional geared player joined a dungeon run, now everyone is overgeared.

I long for the days of using a mix of dungeons, rep and professions to get in tot he entry tier raid, and then clearing that enough times to be able to venture in to the next tier. This bull**** idea of just having everyone access everything is stupid. Free boosted 90s in 483 green items are able to get in tot he final tier.

I didn't even get to kill Illidan let alone Kil'Jaden in TBC, and I was happy with that.

Imagine you are a developer, designer, artist who worked on the sunwell content for months, after which only 10 percent of the player base actually saw it. You might be happy with that as a player, i would be very unhappy with that situation, LFR isn't perfect, but flat out fact people weren't seeing the content before it was introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm sure I'm in the minority these days, but I loved the days where you could spend 3 hours in Deadmines getting to Van Cleef, and the same trawling through Mauradon and BRD. The nearest thing to those days since then was the Cataclysm heroics, which were rock hard at launch but they nerfed them within a couple of months due to so many people whinging. I dont know why people have to be spoonfed easy stuff to just cruise through these days. I havent had a sense of achievement in WoW since the Cata heroics, really. I'm not a raider so dungeons were my bread and butter, Now, I just couldnt be bothered.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    LFR is a direct reason why dungeons are so easy now. Rather than gearing in heroics and then raiding, you just spam LFR, and once you've done that enough, you're flying through dungeons again. The time is takes to out gear the low content is way too fast. Instead of the occasional geared player joined a dungeon run, now everyone is overgeared.

I long for the days of using a mix of dungeons, rep and professions to get in tot he entry tier raid, and then clearing that enough times to be able to venture in to the next tier. This bull**** idea of just having everyone access everything is stupid. Free boosted 90s in 483 green items are able to get in tot he final tier.

I didn't even get to kill Illidan let alone Kil'Jaden in TBC, and I was happy with that.

Being fair though its not LFR, timeless isle gear can be gathered in half of the time and it is 496 ilvl.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Calhoun wrote: »
    Being fair though its not LFR, timeless isle gear can be gathered in half of the time and it is 496 ilvl.

Timeless Isle is mental. I went there with my new lvl90 Paladin, and got epic boots and legs from two random chests, and ilvl535 (or something crazy high) bracers from dying a few times on the giant bird. I didn't even know what i was going.

Kiith wrote: »
    Timeless Isle is mental. I went there with my new lvl90 Paladin, and got epic boots and legs from two random chests, and ilvl535 (or something crazy high) bracers from dying a few times on the giant bird. I didn't even know what i was going.

Yah it was setup as a catchup for alts and new folk . With 535 gear and valor upgrades you could gear main pieces o 552 ilvl.

It's a stupid idea instantly rewarding the loot. The idea that you can get epics outside of raids that are useful isn't a bad one, but maybe it would've been better to implement a coin system so you farm the coins and then buy a piece after x amount of kills. Maybe add a very low % chance for instant loot.

Side note, pre-ordered WoD and got beta access two hours later.... :)

There is a brilliant guide on MMO champion for timeless isle chests. Basically import some macros into an addon called TomTom, and you just follow the arrow to the chests.

Typically when I ding a fresh 90, 30 mins later its decked with plenty of epics.

On my old server, I've a bank bag full of timeless isle gear.

As said above it was brought in as a catchup mechanic for alts and while it was well intentioned, the playerbase on most servers look for 530ilvl before letting you near their flex raids (pugs in Trade of using oqueue) so you STILL need to go through LFR.

I'm doing it now at the moment, even though I'd be more then capable of going through flex with the gear I have, I'm forced in through completing it to hit a "checkpoint" that the playerbase manage.

Granted my new guild are oragnising some flex, normal and then heroic SOO runs before WoD, I don't like sitting idly around, and am still having to go through LFR.

It's a stupid idea instantly rewarding the loot. The idea that you can get epics outside of raids that are useful isn't a bad one, but maybe it would've been better to implement a coin system so you farm the coins and then buy a piece after x amount of kills. Maybe add a very low % chance for instant loot.

Side note, pre-ordered WoD and got beta access two hours later.... :)

In fairness timeless isle only came in this patch cycle. The expansion had been out ages, and it was just a mechanism to help people gear up to the point they could go into current or last content, instead of having to go through Vaults and the likes on LFR.

Even then it's RNG, I've had two characters who got **** all form a chest run and I still had to go through the tiers on LFR

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness timeless isle only came in this patch cycle. The expansion had been out ages, and it was just a mechanism to help people gear up to the point they could go into current or last content, instead of having to go through Vaults and the likes on LFR.

Even then it's RNG, I've had two characters who got **** all form a chest run and I still had to go through the tiers on LFR

I think the issue was that people would make a toon and then dread the grind to getting to see the endgame content. So timeless isle is a blessing and a nightmare at the same time.

I quite liked it, it allowed me to get my paladin tank from doing heroics to doing LFR ToT in an hour. The ONLY issue i have with LFR is tactics, no one pays attaention 85% of the time.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think the issue was that people would make a toon and then dread the grind to getting to see the endgame content. So timeless isle is a blessing and a nightmare at the same time.

I quite liked it, it allowed me to get my paladin tank from doing heroics to doing LFR ToT in an hour. The ONLY issue i have with LFR is tactics, no one pays attaention 85% of the time.

It had to be done given the raid structure that Blizzard have now implemented. Back in the day, if you didn't have the gear for Black Temple, you stayed in SSC. Now, everyone farms everything as soon as LFR allows.

I think I preferred the gradual increase in raid content as opposed to having all dished out together to everyone. You really felt like you had achieved something with a guild if you were in another tier.

It had to be done given the raid structure that Blizzard have now implemented. Back in the day, if you didn't have the gear for Black Temple, you stayed in SSC. Now, everyone farms everything as soon as LFR allows.

I think I preferred the gradual increase in raid content as opposed to having all dished out together to everyone. You really felt like you had achieved something with a guild if you were in another tier.

Absolutely, I lorded my ICC shoulders and Weapon in WOTLK when my guild was one of the first in. Pure bragging rights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Keifie

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is a brilliant guide on MMO champion for timeless isle chests. Basically import some macros into an addon called TomTom, and you just follow the arrow to the chests.

Typically when I ding a fresh 90, 30 mins later its decked with plenty of epics.

I wish I had seen this thread before embarrassing myself with 15k dps in about 30 dungeon runs looking for upgrades of my green's.....

Keifie wrote: »
    I wish I had seen this thread before embarrassing myself with 15k dps in about 30 dungeon runs looking for upgrades of my green's.....

You're doing the Lord's work, my child.

Pro Tip: Spam the lower tier LFR raids for a great item drop rate. Although a lower ilevel, the 502 stuff will carry you through SoO and pretty much in to WoD.

Much faster to spam timeless isle, the lower tied raids bar ToT are kinda usless and have long queue times as people only really queue for the legendary.

If your on a PVE realm or a pvp realm with a large population on your side you should have no excuses and you can get some nice goodies from doing it.

The only reason you would need to do the old raids is a weapon as there is no non raid weapons above 463.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Much faster to spam timeless isle, the lower tied raids bar ToT are kinda usless and have long queue times as people only really queue for the legendary.

If your on a PVE realm or a pvp realm with a large population on your side you should have no excuses and you can get some nice goodies from doing it.

The only reason you would need to do the old raids is a weapon as there is no non raid weapons above 463.

It's like you didn't even read my post? it was the i502 I was talking about. Strange.

It's like you didn't even read my post? it was the i502 I was talking about. Strange.

You said lower LFR you didnt speculate on only ToT , there is no point in running anything below ToT when TI is 496 gear. Considering the entry level to SOO is 496 and not 502, TI will do the job and should be farmed in conjuncture with ToT to get a full set of gear.

As soon as i hit 496 ivl i would hit up SOO, after all the carrying i have done in there i would not feel guilty of being carried in that LFR.

Apologies not trying to be elitist on this i just have done this on many chars and for newer folk they may think the 483 ilvl LFR ect is still relevant when TI gear has made it 100% obsolete.

There is nothing worse than jumping in to LFR and having to carry people through it. I know you've been there and done that so many times, and the game lets you in regardless of ilevel, but it really can be infuriating. I had a Mage in LFR doing 40k DPS the other day. I do more in my off-spec wearing my Resto gear.

True but the opposite is also true nothing worse than lfr try hards, everyone has to gear and the entry level is 496. Obviously the player should know how to play the class and get as much as possible from it.

It's a balance I suppose, between the two types of players especially at this late in the game.

I think they're somewhat solving it in WoD though, as I think you need to complete the Proving Grounds: Silver before you can do the HC dungeons. Not too sure on LFR but I imagine if you can't do HCs you can't do LFR.

The only problem with this is the obvious slacking that goes on, most times you will see people well capable of playing but semi afk.

They need some sort of activity monitor to be linked to rewards.

• Advertisement

Oh boy did I get bored real quickly, i've tanked all the way through SoO in LFR. Now im trying to get into normal but no-one will take anyone below 550, and no one is running ToT in normal to help me out.

Mmmmmmmm stagnation.

Advertisement