Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castleknock on Ice

• 23-11-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have seen this place mentioned a couple of times, anybody have more information on it? Apparently going to stay open until Xmas and possibly longer. They'd want to publicise it a bit better if they want to stay open longer...

Still though, can't wait to get down and try it out. Apparently it is opposite Bradys garage, near the tennis club I'd imagine. They are on Facebook but not much info given out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:confused:

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

wow, really? where's it gonna be?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Slydice wrote: »
    wow, really? where's it gonna be?

As per op:

[QUOTE=MrJoeSoap;75633841 Apparently it is opposite Bradys garage, near the tennis club I'd imagine. They are on Facebook but not much info given out there.[/QUOTE]

What is it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

amdublin wrote: »
    :confused:

What is it?
    amdublin wrote: »
    What is it :confused:

An ice rink...

Drove up to it today on my way to work today and there is absolutely no signposting although it does seem to be under construction. Not sure if it is open yet, anyone receive a flyer about it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Yeah I saw someone on another forum has been into it, apparently (don't know how reliable the info is.. but anyway) and they say its going to be permanent... If so (which I really hope it is) hockey team any one?

Stinjy wrote: »
    Yeah I saw someone on another forum has been into it, apparently (don't know how reliable the info is.. but anyway) and they say its going to be permanent... If so (which I really hope it is) hockey team any one?

Yes please!

that idea has really got a positive attitude... if worst comes to worst I'll play with the lads, it'll be a good bit of craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Apparently it is opposite Bradys garage, near the tennis club I'd imagine. They are on Facebook but not much info given out there.

That would be the old farmhand building, anyone see a planning permission for change of use?

oblivious wrote: »
    That would be the old farmhand building, anyone see a planning permission for change of use?

It is in the old tile warehouse/shop, is that the same building?

• Advertisement

Went to it last night, a work in progress, but the rink is there and open to use. Plenty of young people there enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Is there a website for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

It opened last Saturday - I skated there on Sunday and again yesterday. No website, but if you check out Castleknock on Ice you will find info there. Personally, I think they need a website, but got the impression when I mentioned a website to them last week that they are not going to have one.

I was in my element to be back on the ice and even better is that I had the rink all to myself on both occasions :D

Not at the moment, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Where is it exactly?

what time are they open till?

Think it's 10pm or 10.30pm, was that last night anyway. I feel like a spokesman... :)

thanks Joe, well you seem to be the only one whose been.. maybe I shall bump into you there soon (not literally hopefully :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Is it real ice?

I went to a rink down by the docks a few years ago. It was called an ice rink but the surface was not ice as I know it (it was more like some type of cold plastic surface) and it was impossible to skate on.

• Advertisement

was just down there it was full with people.. :( think I'll start when theres not so many ... get my skill levels back up :P

Is it real ice?

I went to a rink down by the docks a few years ago. It was called an ice rink but the surface was not ice as I know it (it was more like some type of cold plastic surface) and it was impossible to skate on.

It is real ice in Castleknock, yes. Not a great surface but not awful. Arnotts had that fake stuff last year as well and it got terrible reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

How much does it cost?

It was €12 for adults including skate hire. Not sure about students/kids.

Also Joe, (i know lots of questions- my bad :( ) but do you know if you had your own skates would it be cheaper? Because if its staying investing might be a better option if itll get me in cheaper :)

Stinjy wrote: »
    Also Joe, (i know lots of questions- my bad :( ) but do you know if you had your own skates would it be cheaper? Because if its staying investing might be a better option if itll get me in cheaper :)

Not sure on that but the Navan on Ice doesn't seem to have a discount. They did do lessons, I'd do them if they become available in Castleknock.

http://www.familyfun.ie/navan-on-ice-meath/

No discount for having your own skates. I have been and have my own pair, and was told there wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skatermom

There are skating lessons every Saturday and Sunday as far as I know, not sure how much etc. There are also lessons in Dundrum if anyone interested.
    I think there is a Facebook page for the coach in Castleknock - search Dublin Ice Skating Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 skatermom

Just to add, it's the same coaches in Castleknock that were in Navan.

• Advertisement

and Charlestown too. I was supposed to have a private lesson today, but sadly it got cancelled as there is ice hockey practice on at same time, and until my coach arrived at rink this morning she didn't know about this. It seems like it was a last minute thing, so is probably worth ringing ahead before heading out, just in case... No info about this on their facebook page. The ice hockey is going to be there every Sunday.

Advertisement