Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mugging in the cinema...

• 27-07-2010 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

So I decided to pop down to the local (only) cineplex here in lovely Kilkenny yesterday to see whether Toy Story lived up to all the hype. Now, generally I'm the type of person who shoves his change into his pocket without even checking it, or even the price at times, and I definitely wouldn't be one to yammer on the price of things. However, the bottom of my chin is still bruised from hitting the foyer floor when my jaw dropped as the clerk informed me that a single ticket was going to cost me €11. For a two hour movie. I couldn't believe it. I know it's in 3d and has all kinds of newfandangled effects, but that's a ludicrous price to charge for access to a cinema screen. And worse, this is a family film. I saw parents there with 3 or 4 kids, which must have set them back at least €50. Is this kind of pricing the norm in cinemas or is Kilkenny cineplex the Eddie Rockets of cinemas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pretty typical, much the same around the country.

I would think they sell child tickets too, they don't pay 11 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Einhard wrote: »
    my jaw dropped as the clerk informed me that a single ticket was going to cost me €11.

Cinema pricing is controlled by the film distributors - not by the cinema.

The cinema receives a commission on each sale. - That's why the added extras are so expensive.

Same applies in most countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And where did this mugging take place? Did someone steal the money from your pocket?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

jor el wrote: »
    And where did this mugging take place? Did someone steal the money from your pocket?
    The clerk held him at gun point clearly with a big muscle guy at the door...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go earlier in the day if you can, usually cheaper then.
    I went to Omniplex Sunday, was 6.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Pretty typical, much the same around the country.

I would think they sell child tickets too, they don't pay 11 euro

Child tickets were €8.50. Which amounts to €40 for two adults and three kids for a two hour film. Which is very steep for a trip to the cinema.
    91011 wrote: »

The cinema receives a commission on each sale. - That's why the added extras are so expensive.

I didn't know that. Still, I've lived in France, America and Oz for times over the past few years, and never had to pay anything like what they charge here. Surely the commission would be the same or similar in the three markets?
    jor el wrote: »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole
    biko wrote: »
    Go earlier in the day if you can, usually cheaper then.
    I went to Omniplex Sunday, was 6.50

No such luck in Kilkenny I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Einhard wrote: »
    I didn't know that. Still, I've lived in France, America and Oz for times over the past few years, and never had to pay anything like what they charge here. Surely the commission would be the same or similar in the three markets?

Its 10.50 for Adults and 8.40 for Kids in Pathe here in the Netherlands anyway.

Must have been a while ago .. the 3d movies are a bit more expensive as they require a special projector I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

Adult ticket for Toy Story at local cinema (France) €6,80 for adults, €4 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

azzie wrote: »
    Adult ticket for Toy Story at local cinema (France) €6,80 for adults, €4 children.
    At peak times? In 3D?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

9 euro in UCI in Dublin, so not too bad I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I totally agree with the OP, some cinemas are totally overpriced.

The two nearest cinemas near me on the south side of Cork are Douglas and Mahon Point. I'm afraid that I can't remember the exact prices but Douglas is nearly half the cost of the more modern Mahon, and has far better deals such as student discounts that apply all the time. Mahon does not accept these on weekends.

And yet Douglas is nearly always empty, running off very little staff, and is closing soon. Mahon is thriving and always packed. Problem is Irish people don't make decisions with their wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Storm limerick, toy story 3 3d, €12.

I've taken to buying the student tickets online and paying the booking fee to get them for €9.40 no1 checks for student ID at the ticket check spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

11 euro is about right, (for Ireland) 3D price in Poland is €6.25 about 25 zlotys. (in a county where the average montly wage is €750 if you are lucky)

Toy story 3 not worth seeing in 3D, Avatar was great, well worth paying 11 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I was at the cinema a few weeks ago to see 'Hot Tub Time Machine' and it cost himself €25 or €26 for two adult tickets iirc. That was in IMC Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Luckily, in Dublin, we have Cineworld Unlimited which is only 19.99 a month and gives unlimited films (small additional charge per film for 3D films).

I go to a cinema at least once or twice a week and some months it only costs me around 2.50 each time I go to the cinema.

The card also works in all the Cineworlds in the UK, except for central London so is handy if you are over there for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

In Belfast, you can see any film, including 3D, on a Tuesday for £3 at the Movie House

http://www.moviehouse.co.uk/offers/

Cue the blah blah, different rate of VAT, different overheads BUT Tom Hanks got paid the same amount for what is being shown in Kilkenny as what is being shown in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

jahalpin wrote: »
    Luckily, in Dublin, we have Cineworld Unlimited which is only 19.99 a month and gives unlimited films (small additional charge per film for 3D films).

I go to a cinema at least once or twice a week and some months it only costs me around 2.50 each time I go to the cinema.

The card also works in all the Cineworlds in the UK, except for central London so is handy if you are over there for a few days

That sounds excellent! Wish there was something like that in Cork.

azzie wrote: »

The evening show as an example in
    Toy Story 3 - VF
    Projection 3D

Pour les cartes LE PASS, les Chèques Cinéma, les Cinés Accès, les Cartes 3/5/10 places et toutes les cartes donnant droit à un tarif réduit, un supplément vous sera demandé pour ce film projeté en 3D.

Cinéma Gaumont Champs-Elysées Marignan

Vendredi 30 juillet 2010 à 19:25

Adult: 13.50
    Under 12: 8.00
    Student: 10.90
    Under 18: 8.90

Late shows are always expensive.

In Belfast, you can see any film, including 3D, on a Tuesday for £3 at the Movie House

http://www.moviehouse.co.uk/offers/

Cue the blah blah, different rate of VAT, different overheads BUT Tom Hanks got paid the same amount for what is being shown in Kilkenny as what is being shown in Belfast.

On a Tuesday for 3 Quid ...

Gate Cinema in Cork does offers too:

Early morning 11.00/11.30am @ €4.00

Before 5pm
    Adult €5.50
    Student/OAP €5.00

3D Movies: Standard/child €7.00
    3D Movies: Student/OAP €6.50

Also do a family of 4 ticket for 20 euros.

3 quid on a Tuesday is useless for alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

91011 wrote: »

Over in the Uk the local Empire cinema is £5 for where as the local Odean is £9.99. Also Empire sells them at £3.95 on a Tuesday so I dont agree the distributer setting the total price. Cinemas in Ireland thought make allways made there money on the food and not the tickets.

• Advertisement

On a Tuesday for 3 Quid ...

Gate Cinema in Cork does offers too:

Early morning 11.00/11.30am @ €4.00

Before 5pm
    Adult €5.50
    Student/OAP €5.00

3D Movies: Standard/child €7.00
    3D Movies: Student/OAP €6.50

Also do a family of 4 ticket for 20 euros.

3 quid on a Tuesday is useless for alot of people.

I'm sure it is but it is more useful to most people to go to the cinema at 9 on a Tuesday evening in Belfast than at 11am in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

i went to the 6 pm show last monday week in Kilkenny and it cost €28 for a family ticket - 2 adults & 2 children. Each ticket was €7.

I'm sure it is but it is more useful to most people to go to the cinema at 9 on a Tuesday evening in Belfast than at 11am in Cork.

Not if you live in Cork. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

This post has been deleted.
    Nope.

His popcorn and drink was extra, don't know what they cost though.

Not if you live in Cork. :P

Well, that's true. Although with the new road you can make it between the cities in four hours apparently. Leave Cork at 5 for the 9pm showing of Hannah Montana's latest. Although I'm not sure the 600km's worth of petrol would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

I know the wages are completely different but I was in Burgas in Bulgaria for the whole summer and tickets were between €1.50 (early mornings) and €3.50-4 for the 3D movies at night. Two tickets, Two large popcorns and drinks for two could easily be got for €10.

I went to the cinema in Ireland when I got back and paid around €36 for the same thing. Yes I know the salaries are extremely different between here and there but I just wanted to point it out.

double GG wrote: »
    I know the wages are completely different but I was in Burgas in Bulgaria for the whole summer and tickets were between €1.50 (early mornings) and €3.50-4 for the 3D movies at night. Two tickets, Two large popcorns and drinks for two could easily be got for €10.

I went to the cinema in Ireland when I got back and paid around €36 for the same thing. Yes I know the salaries are extremely different between here and there but I just wanted to point it out.

Thats actually a rip off for Bulgaria,

GDP Bulgaria: $12,500 / capita - Rank 89 in the World
    GDP Ireland: $41,000 / capita - Rank 18 in the World

Purchasing power is completely different there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

double GG wrote: »
    Yes I know the salaries are extremely different between here and there but I just wanted to point it out.

Guess how the salaries are paid? = Via the ticket prices.

Look at the number of staff in a cinema - counter staff, office staff, cleaning, ushers, managers etc. Staffing costs in a service industry are huge.

The cinema is an ideal product to compare in a similar way to the big mac index as most costs are reflective of the local economy.

How long does an average Irish person have to work to earn enough money for 2 cinema tckets, 2 popcorns & 2 drinks. - And then compare the same for bulgaria. Chances are it will be less in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

3D costs me €1.50 per ticket, in Cineworld with the monthly pass

Advertisement