Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal priest claims yoga is "putting souls in jeopardy"

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Thats because 'he' has a days work to do and doesn't have time for all this naval gazing, pontificating, lookatmeI'mcool,green tea drinking, calorie watching,D4 accent, never played hurling,lovesthe soundof his ownvoice, horseshyte!

I don't drink green tea and I'm from Meath, so that rules out the D4 accent. I don't play hurling, in fact the only sport I get involved in is go-karting. I watch calories to keep my weight down and to improve my health, and not for vanity. As a former victim of bullying I still can't think of myself as "cool".

It seems that the nastiest, most bile-filled people on Boards are mostly conservatives like yourself - the ones who make it tempting to change the "on" in "conservative" to an "unt".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I know I said I'd leave it but some people...
    I have no idea what you are trying to convey in your first 2 paragraphs -it makes no sense and doesn't appear relevant to the thread but that doesn't matter anymore because I've done what I came to do.

Do people using A/A suffer reading difficulties? I didn't raise the subject of demonic possession: I was asked a Q and the rest of you jumped on board. I never raised the subject of empirically proving demonic possession and neither did I say that Lourdes cured a person; I think I wrote people were cured at Lourdes- and medical certificates exist which prove the fact that a medically inexplicable healing/cure occurred there.

Kudos and congratulations on your own fine analysis of the data in front of you. Whoever you do the accounts for is a fortunate business... you're not with Anglo, are you?

Dear me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,861 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do people using A/A suffer reading difficulties?

You're not helping your argument, such as it is, here.

I didn't raise the subject of demonic possession: I was asked a Q and the rest of you jumped on board. I never raised the subject of empirically proving demonic possession

You stated that 1% of the mentally ill are "genuine" cases of "demonic possession" -
    The vast majority of people who think they're possessed are actually suffering from a mental illness. There is the 1 in 100 who has a genuine possession and not all are unwelcome possessions (the person has sought to be possessed).

Can you please substantiate your claim that cases of "genuine demonic possession" exist?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd also like to see proper evidence that people playing with abit of wood somehow got more then they bargained for. Seems a pretty baseless claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd also like to see proper evidence that people playing with abit of wood somehow got more then they bargained for. Seems a pretty baseless claim

I got more than I bargained for when I started playing with my wood...

I disposed of the evidence though >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don't drink green tea and I'm from Meath, so that rules out the D4 accent. I don't play hurling, in fact the only sport I get involved in is go-karting. I watch calories to keep my weight down and to improve my health, and not for vanity. As a former victim of bullying I still can't think of myself as "cool".

It seems that the nastiest, most bile-filled people on Boards are mostly conservatives like yourself - the ones who make it tempting to change the "on" in "conservative" to an "unt".

Sorry to hear that you were affected by bullying but which of my posts were 'nasy or bile filled' . Interesting that you see believers as being 'conservative', would I be right in thinking that insecurity might be an issue with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Interesting that you see believers as being 'conservative', would I be right in thinking that insecurity might be an issue with you.

Yes, the more ardent believers are conservative. They're the ones who scream about their religious rights being trampled if the Minister for Education dares to mention a few dozen schools being transferred out of the RCC's grip. They're the ones who slut-shame women who've had abortions. They're the ones who sneer at LGBT couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,861 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry to hear that you were affected by bullying but which of my posts were 'nasy or bile filled' . Interesting that you see believers as being 'conservative', would I be right in thinking that insecurity might be an issue with you.

It's the conservatives who are insecure, who want to keep society chained to what they find familiar and acceptable.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

It's International Yoga Day today, so designated by the current government of India.

Some international commentators have taken this as a positive, because like Yoga's good for everything right?

Other have pointed out the political and religious issues built into this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/20/opinion/india-and-the-politics-of-yoga.html?_r=0

"Not everyone is enthusiastic. Some Muslim preachers and opposition politicians have accused Mr. Modi of using the day to foist Hinduism on religious minorities under the guise of yoga."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/indian-pm-narendra-modi-hopes-yoga-day-will-stretch-indias-influence-20150621-ghtqbf.html

"Guinness World Record officials were called to establish a record for the largest yoga demonstration at a single venue. India's celebrity yoga guru Baba Ramdev, who's credited the practice with curing cancer and homosexuality, was roped in".

For my part I believe yoga is mostly used as a non-religious exercise which is beneficial to people. If people want to go down the spiritual route too, that's their choice.

The priest has a point though in terms that he's just doing his job. Yoga has religious roots, and plenty of people will use it as a gateway to various kinds of "Eastern Spirituality" which they think is inherently superior to whatever religion they grew up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Merces

He is basically attacking his competitors. Spiritual syncretism is popular and many "Catholics" get their spiritual fill from other sources (Yoga, Tai chi and Reiki) so this is the church basically saying "Get out of my racket!"

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nodin wrote: »

You can see why the Catholic church is concerned so, pretty much direct competition ;)

smacl wrote: »
    You can see why the Catholic church is concerned so, pretty much direct competition ;)

The moritification without the trip to Lough Derg or up Croagh Patrick in the bare spogs.....

Advertisement