Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric shower keeps tripping for one person

Options
  • 07-05-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I have an electric shower in my house, it works just fine for 3 out of the 4 people living there. It is however constantly tripping for one guy who lives here. Its happened enough times not to be just coincidence at this stage. I think this guy is electrically charged and causing the switch to trip. Its becoming very frustrating for him.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the bill payer deliberately tripping the fuse? Does someone else use the toaster and kettle at the same time and might they be on the same circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    I have an electric shower in my house, it works just fine for 3 out of the 4 people living there. It is however constantly tripping for one guy who lives here. Its happened enough times not to be just coincidence at this stage. I think this guy is electrically charged and causing the switch to trip. Its becoming very frustrating for him.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

My money is on the "tripper guy" being fond of a very hot shower, compared to the rest of you, overloading an incorrectly protected circuit.

Run the shower on MAX heat as a test v MED heat, and see if the fault is replicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

dodzy wrote: »
    My money is on the "tripper guy" being fond of a very hot shower, compared to the rest of you, overloading an incorrectly protected circuit.

Run the shower on MAX heat as a test v MED heat, and see if the fault is replicated.
    I think it is the water flow rate that changes and not the heating current as you vary the temperature. If so it would not affect the tripping.

Maybe different on power showers though??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd expect it to be the very hot shower as well. Another suggestion is to ensure lots of ventilation while showering. An excessive build up of steam in the room could increase the likelihood of it tripping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

What make and type is your shower, what kw rating has it and is it fused, elcb.. ? and what is the rating on it, this can all be found back at the electrical fuseboard, where hopefully you will see a seperate fuse/ breaker.
    The user or water temperature has no bearing on the tripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Villaines

I had a similar problem. Seemed like one person, then eventually became more frequent. Changed the trip switch, no issue since, hope I haven't just jinxed it!

Advertisement