Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pipe/wire detector, any recommendations?

• 07-05-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I am going to install some network cables into a red brick 1930's house and I intend to chase a couple of walls (ceiling down to skirting board, 3/4 inch deep). The house might have met the regulations of the day with regard to cables/pipes but what if it did not and there are diagonal cables or pipes behind the plaster.... who wants to take the chance??

So I was on the lookout for a reliable pipe/wire detector so run over the walls before chasing. I had a look on Amazon and most if not all of them look to be 3 or 3.5 stars. When you check some 1 star reviews you see that the person reviewing them just has no clue, but some of the reviews slating the products come from people who sound like they know what they are doing.

So, from researching it looks like some people are recommending Zircon or the more expensive Bosch models. Anyone have a model that they find reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Just to update with things that commonly cause people problems:

It sounds obvious, but wearing a watch, rings or bracelets on the hand holding the detector can confuse them.
    Its quite common for wires to not be detected unless they have power going through them (ie, plug something in to sockets and turn on lights)
    If the detector is constantly beeping/flashing it is likely to be static charge and discharging the surface you are running the detector over (can be done by just rubbing your hand over it slowly while earthed) and the unit can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thats some amount of work and some amount of clean up afterwards. I would only chase as a last resort. I would look at all possible other cable routes before doing a load of chasing.

See if you can use the natural voids that are provided for pipes, eg cold water, heating pipes etc... Also you'll find the floor boards around the radiators will be very easy to lift. The chimney breasts might have false sides on them for pipes, which can be used for running cable. Look if you can take off architrave around a door and do most of the cable run behind that, then maybe a long SDS bit to get you the rest of the way up. You can always put trunking in the hotpress to get cables from first floor to the attic etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Going from under the stairs across the hall to dining room (x2 cables) kitchen (x2 cables) and livingroom (x3 cables). Tiled floor downstairs hall and really dont want visible cables.

I have a sds+ drill with an attachment for chasing and I am not going deep into the wall (network and phone wires so no trunking/conduit). So just lifting carpet/floorboards in upstairs landing and one room upstairs and making two chases in living room and drilling through wall into kitchen/dining.

Advertisement