Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

• 02-10-2012 2:46pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been suggested that, as per a number of other forums on Boards, a feedback thread might be a worthwhile exercise.

We're also somewhat intrigued as to what people have to say about how the forum is run, or indeed about the direction the people who post here have taken it in.

It's by no means compulsory to use this thread, but feel free to post any thoughts/suggestions/gripes below and they may be addressed/ignored as deemed fit. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sometimes there's too much chat in The Funny Side of Religion. I mod YLYL, so naturally this gets on my nerves (I also occasionally try to edit posts here when people quote pictures. But that's my own cross to bear). Pictures and even funny posts in response to pictures are all well and good. But when the conversation starts to become real and interesting, it should be split off into a new thread.

Feedback. Hmmm ...

Don't change anything. A&A is probably one of the best (if not the best) run forums on the site. It has the perfect mix: extremely light-hearted at times, with great use of wit, sarcasm and humour by its members; great debate and argument at other times, matching any forum on the site for its quality of discussion. It's not too dry, nor too light-hearted; discussion standards aren't rigid to the point of suffocating discussion, nor is discussion allowed to descend to drivel. A great mix, and one which I'm sure most (if not all) of the regulars appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'd pretty much second all of the above. No changes required to my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Thrided. Only been on A&A in the last week, and I already love it. Can't see any changes, bar stamping out some ridiculous threads, but even that provides some fun :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Don't dare change a thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dades wrote: »
    We're also somewhat intrigued as to what people have to say about how the forum is run, or indeed about the direction the people who post here have taken it in.

It's perfect.
    Moderated to perfection.
    Probably my favourite forum on this site.
    I may not post much in here but I read a lot of the threads.

Don't change a thing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Okay, so now we've heard from the PRO side... :pac:

*sheds tear of happiness*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dades wrote: »
    Okay, so now we've heard from the PRO side... :pac:

*sheds tear of happiness*

I hate the fucken lot of yez. Except the women. Them I really hate, the hairy savages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it needs a + added to the forum name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i come from forums which had essentially no moderation, and threads were allowed go wherever the posters took them, so even A+A's light touch (for boards) can sometimes seem slightly heavy. e.g. the closing of that 'better than jesus' thread - it might not have been insanely funny, but it was doing no harm.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I hate the fucken lot of yez. Except the women. Them I really hate, the hairy savages.

*make note - more ground glass in Nodin's sammichs as the last batch didn't work*

:pac:

I honestly can't think of anything I change.

I am very impressed with the moderation. Firm when required - the abortion thread was a masterclass - but also follows a 'given 'em enough rope' philosophy when required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

More cowbell plz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There is a tendency in certain debates here to not hold atheists to the same standard of logic demanded of the religious. I guess that's more of a community issue than a mod one.

I know it's nearly impossible to throttle a debate, but it does sometimes happen that someone new appears and is hopped on. When they're replying to a page of posts at a time, it's just incoherent gibberish. Perhaps again this is a community issue as the mods aren't really in a position to help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Well we have to something about these mods for starters. That Robin fella, I heard he molests unicorns! As as for Dades; didn't I hear he wrestles dragons naked...probably gets off on the scales, the sick puppy.

Nah, I jest. I'd also like to echo the previous positive posters comments. Even when a juvenile rage overcomes my senses on a subject that drives my blood pressure up, they will be perfectly reasonable in how they ask me to calm down a bit.

Thankfully, they see logic and reason as a raison d'être and that's the purest form of moderation I can hope for here on boards. I could never understand why they let JCs thread to live for so long but when I did, I realised that they are jedis in the art of giving someone some rope; well played all, well played!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I DEMAND THE CHARTER SPELLING ERRORS BE RECTIFIED IMMEDIATELY

I mean... no complaints here, don't change anything :)

bluewolf wrote: »

I mean... no complaints here, don't change anything :)

Why do I feel your heart's not in that???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why do I feel your heart's not in that???

:D

Honestly though, the moderation is perfect. Great balance.
    Very happy. Would post again. 10/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't get to post here as often as I'd like but I love the forum as it is.

Tho I am moving back to Ireland next week so the extra religiosity back home may help me post here more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If you change a thing I will come to your house and I will cut you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I work 80 to 90 hour weeks, but I never miss checking in every night.
    It's like kindred spirits ................ I love you guys.

And you're all very tolerant of the non-non-believers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

A&A is without a doubt one of my most favourite forums on Boards and I really don't think anything needs to change...of course it would be nice if the forum attracted a bigger pool of posters/the many lurkers posted or posted more but I don't think that's anything that moderation is ever going to achieve without losing a large part of what makes A&A so awesome.

The fact we can have long and heated discussions about emotive topics and not immediately fall into the same awful mud-slinging/trenches as pretty much everywhere else that tries to have that conversation is testament to both the standard of posters and the moderation.

While I might get frustrated batting back responses to numerous posters and I hope they don't get too frustrated that I have to just walk away sometimes, I really enjoy the no-holds-barred challenge. I like being made to think about my views without being abused for having them and I love that I can be having a heated discussion with a poster on one issue and in agreement with them in another and there's never any petty animosity that follows...it's very, very unusual and one of the most attractive qualities of this forum.

Keep it up - everyone. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I'm only a newcomer to A&A and I'm delighted to find some fantastic debate. Mostly civilised too ;) Can't say I've been ignored or jumped on for being a newbie (well, maybe once) and really enjoying meeting virtual like minded people plus hearing other views. I'm sure it's broadening my mind (at least, that's what I'm telling my kids, now that I never watch tv anymore).

Keep it up!

it would be nice if the forum attracted a bigger pool of posters/the many lurkers posted or posted more

I'd consider myself more of a lurker than a poster. That's mostly down to time.
    However, there have been times when I've thought to comment only to find that not only has someone already posted exactly what I was going to, but also, far more eloquently.
    Ye are all far too good! :)

Beruthiel wrote: »
    However, there have been times when I've thought to comment only to find that not only has someone already posted exactly what I was going to, but also, far more eloquently.
    Ye are all far too good! :)

Good? Nah! It's proof of the Hive Mind innit.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Good? Nah! It's proof of the Hive Mind innit.

Perhaps it's just my innate fear of assimilation then.

Perhaps it's just my innate fear of assimilation then.

Resistance is futile.

Should the tagline to this forum be We Are The Borg? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I quite like the "Oh we of little faith" as it is. It seems to be the only forum in the category that doesn't take itself far too seriously.

Should the tagline to this forum be We Are The Borg? :D

Borg+ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thumbs up from me, keep it up :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement