Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Liberty hall be demolished and be replaced by a monstrosity?

• 25-02-2012 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching it on Telifis Eireann news, it looks if this iconic Dublin building could be demolished and be replaced by an out of proportion monstrosity that will totally obliterate the skyline of Dublin.

As a kid I use to think this "skyscraper" was huge until I travelled to New York. city :p

n5jxbd.jpg

It is now a part of our heritage despite its 'ugliness" and I think it should be classified as a listed building and remain.

should Liberty Hall be demolished and replaced by a monstrosity? 148 votes

Get rid of it, we need something new.
    0% 0 votes
    Save it as a part of Dublins skyline.
    81% 120 votes
    Cork Opera House.
    18% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭neris

Knock the horrid thing (prefrebly with jack and the other cronies inside)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've grown to the like the thing over the years. I think the main problem (or at least the main problem as claimed by SIPTU) is that the building doesn't function properly anymore. Also all the glass they use at the moment isn't the right fit for what was originally proposed.

I think the new proposed building is supposed to be something like twice as big. No doubt it'll be that cheap glass skyscraper that everyone's building nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What a horribly biased thread. IMO it should be closed. More crap adding to suburban living in Dublin. Of course it should be knocked; it's garbage. Furthermore, the Gilroy McMahon plans for a new one are equally garbage, but the idiots that choose designs, grant planning permission and the bigger idiots who object to everything for the craic are the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's a horrible eyesore and should be demolished - along with Hawkins House - and replaced with something in sympathy with the height of nearby buildings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've grown to the like the thing over the years. I think the main problem (or at least the main problem as claimed by SIPTU) is that the building doesn't function properly anymore. Also all the glass they use at the moment isn't the right fit for what was originally proposed.

The current glass was fitted following bomb damage in the early 1970s. The building certainly looked a lot more elegant prior to that.
    I'd love to see this appearance reinstated.
    libhalloldvi0.jpg

• Advertisement

From this angle on Custom House Quay, I definitely prefer the building in its current incarnation...

SpencerDock6-5-20074.jpg

.... than what threatens to replace it....

dublin-lh6.jpg

Top image by Graham H. www.archiseek.com

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Planning permission will be appealed and we'll end up a compromised version about half the size, which will look ridiculous (just like the Ulster Bank building accross the Liffey)

Dublin will not look the same without it. Keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lapin wrote: »
    From this angle on Custom House Quay, I definitely prefer the building in its current incarnation...

SpencerDock6-5-20074.jpg

.... than what threatens to replace it....

dublin-lh6.jpg

Top image by Graham H. www.archiseek.com

The latter building is much nicer, much cleaner, much more fitting and modern and much more elegant, liberty hall should definitely be demolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

A Disgrace wrote: »

Dublin will not look the same without it.

That's a great argument for getting rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Yonge Street

I agree that Liberty Hall should be knocked down, but I'm also not a fan of its planned replacement. Put in a building of similar height to its neighbours, no taller than the Customs House. Dublin City Council should zone a designated business district for skyscrapers, like Paris, London and most normal cities. Grand Canal Dock is the perfect location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

How can the SIPTU afford to demolish the building and build a new 22 storey skyscraper? I know there is a theatre and a couple of other proposed cultural elements for the new building but why do they even need a 22 storey skyscraper?

What do they do in there??!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Liberty Hall is a monstrosity itself and needs to be demolished. It's an ugly building that didn't age very well. Whether it needs to be replaced by another tall building or not is debatable, but the most the most important thing is removing this eyesore from the skyline.

I imagine it's nothing more than a díck measuring contest - The unions trying to assert their dominance over the Dublin skyline. They should be given a cramped one room office, preferably next to a barbers so they can shave those bloody beards.

I agree that Liberty Hall should be knocked down, but I'm also not a fan of its planned replacement. Put in a building of similar height to its neighbours, no taller than the Customs House. Dublin City Council should zone a designated business district for skyscrapers, like Paris, London and most normal cities. Grand Canal Dock is the perfect location.

London :confused:.

True, The City and Canary Wharf have a high density of skycrapers, but they are by no means designated areas.

Take the following for example, Euston Tower, BT Tower, Centrepoint, Millbank, The Shard and the residential Trellick and Balfron Towers. All scattered across the British capital alongside many lesser offenders.

I do agree however that any high rise developments in Dublin should be concentrated in one area, and your suggestion of Grand Canal Dock is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I've never understood why SIPTU need a building that tall. They should spend their budget on making a quality, nice looking five story one, rather than a hideous, out of place 15 story one.

How can the SIPTU afford to demolish the building and build a new 22 storey skyscraper? I know there is a theatre and a couple of other proposed cultural elements for the new building but why do they even need a 22 storey skyscraper?

What do they do in there??!
    I've never understood why SIPTU need a building that tall. They should spend their budget on making a quality, nice looking five story one, rather than a hideous, out of place 15 story one.

Why do people assume that SIPTU will use the whole building?

It would make perfect sense for them to let part of it out to a tenant and have it pay for itself.

Even in straightened times like the present its likely there will always be a demand for such high profile office space in the heart of the city.

London :confused:.

True, The City and Canary Wharf have a high density of skycrapers, but they are by no means designated areas.

Take the following for example, Euston Tower, BT Tower, Centrepoint, Millbank, The Shard and the residential Trellick and Balfron Towers. All scattered across the British capital alongside many lesser offenders.

I do agree however that any high rise developments in Dublin should be concentrated in one area, and your suggestion of Grand Canal Dock is a good one.

You are correct. London does have a scattering of tall buildings across the city. This is due to strict regulations put in place to preserve protected views, especially those of St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London and Westminster Palace, as well as to comply with the requirements of the Civil Aviation Authority.

However, I was referring to the high density of skyscrapers around the City and Canary Wharf. This planned zoning is something I'd welcome in Dublin.

This is due to strict regulations put in place to preserve protected views, especially those of St. Paul's Cathedral.

With good reason too.
    Henry VIII mound in Richmond. (Under threat if Ken Livingstone gets back in but thats for another day).
    220px-St_Paul%27s_20997r.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dublin City Council should zone a designated business district for skyscrapers, like Paris, London and most normal cities. Grand Canal Dock is the perfect location.

In the current 2011-2017 Dublin City Development Plan, Dublin City Council have zoned key areas where they will consider High Rise development.

Page 247 of this document - http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/DublinCityDevelopmentPlan/Documents/Dev_Plan_-_Vol_1_-_Written_Statement.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There would be outcry if the Empire State building in New York was to be demolished and replaced by something hideous. Liberty Hall is Ireland's Empire State building and should be restored to its pre 1972 condition rather than be demolished.

There are plenty of unfinished commercial properties about the capital that SIPTU could take over without having to demolish Liberty and destroy Dublin's skyline Hall. We have the unfinished Anglo Irish Bank building along the quays and also that other development in Sandyford.

If anyone can remember the IMCO building off Merrion Gares that was shamefully demolished in the late 70's That was about the same age as Liberty Hall is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Liberty Hall is Ireland's Empire State building

No, it isn't. That's a ridiculous thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There would be outcry if the Empire State building in New York was to be demolished and replaced by something hideous. Liberty Hall is Ireland's Empire State building and should be restored to its pre 1972 condition rather than be demolished.

There are plenty of unfinished commercial properties about the capital that SIPTU could take over without having to demolish Liberty and destroy Dublin's skyline Hall. We have the unfinished Anglo Irish Bank building along the quays and also that other development in Sandyford.

If anyone can remember the IMCO building off Merrion Gares that was shamefully demolished in the late 70's That was about the same age as Liberty Hall is now.
    LOL Liberty hall is very far from being the empire state building:p New Yorkers have a beautiful building they can be proud of and admire, while we have to suffer this dog ugly monstrosity we call our ''skyline''. Just because its tall(and its not even very tall its just taller than the other buildings) doesnt mean its special,nice looking or shouldnt be demolished. And plus the building that will replace it is a million times better looking and its taller , more modern and more fitting among the other buildings in the immediate area, the demolition of that building will be the best thing that ever happened to Dublins skyline imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

It's not that bad. Maybe needs a re-clad that's all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It needs to be demolished like a lot of the rubbish square block buildings around the city centre, especialy around the Four Courts.

Why do I fear it would be demolished and not replaced, just those grotesque construction boards around the site you see around ghost estates..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Call in the demolishers and send to them across the river to Hawkins House when they are done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Seriously your comparing this piece of crap to The Empire State?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Oh and who in the private sector would want to rent office space from those wasters?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Oh and who in the private sector would want to rent office space from those wasters?

What, like the way NAMA wouldn't dream of renting their offices from Treasury Holdings.

Oh wait... they do.

If the price is right it doesn't matter a damn who the landlord is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

What a horribly biased thread. IMO it should be closed. More crap adding to suburban living in Dublin. Of course it should be knocked; it's garbage. Furthermore, the Gilroy McMahon plans for a new one are equally garbage, but the idiots that choose designs, grant planning permission and the bigger idiots who object to everything for the craic are the worst.

How is the thread biased? :confused: Because some people don't agree with your point of view?
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    The latter building is much nicer, much cleaner, much more fitting and modern and much more elegant, liberty hall should definitely be demolished.

Of course it'll be cleaner and more modern (it'll be newer), but more fitting and elegant? It'll be one and a half times the height and from what I'm seeing, twice the width! Whatever about the merits of demolishing or keeping liberty hall, the new design is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I would love to know who is going to pay for any new construction in Liberty Hall's place and why do siptu need such a large building in the first place ?

Advertisement