Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

PDN wrote: »
    Having the name "404 Error" would be unfortunate in any circumstances.

LOL well put. But how very odd. It works fine for me. Here it is again .

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That name can't be for real, can it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Lawl, Pope lashes out at Irish bishops last week for not acting aptly. It now turns out that he acted in the exact same way regarding a priest in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Looks like this primate is still trying to cling to his tree:

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/cardinal-brady-will-not-be-forced-to-resign-451627.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Looks like this primate is still trying to cling to his tree:

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/cardinal-brady-will-not-be-forced-to-resign-451627.html

Not much chance he'll evolve beyond it either eh? :pac:
    It doesn't really bother me that the snivelling liar doesn't resign. It just highlights just how corrupt the roman catholic church is that he's allowed to keep his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The amount of mainstream media coverage that this is receiving outside Ireland is beyond anything I can remember, and very encouraging. You have the likes of this from Matt Taibbi, who I know from his articles about the financial crisis for Rolling Stone. I don't know if his latest piece will appear there, I think it has too much swearing for them (which is saying something). The Catholic Church is a criminal enterprise.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

These people are so far removed from normal society it's almost hard to believe.

Diarmuid Martin asks Catholics to stay

Sunday, 28 March 2010 14:23
    Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin has asked Catholics who are considering leaving their church because of the clerical child abuse crisis to join in taking responsibly for it from within.
    Noting that these were not easy days for him personally, he underlined that the many believers who wished to journey together on the path of renewal would inevitably be embarking on a way of the cross.
    He also warned a congregation at the Dublin's Pro-Cathedral that their church would be not be reformed by protestations from non-believers.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0328/abuse.html

So, he's asking innocent, albeit gullible people, to take responsibility for crimes they didn't commit and then at the end he is effectively saying that if you don't believe in his particular God, you don't get to have a say in how the church should be fixed; if it is fixable at all I might add. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I wonder if its one of those obsolete jobs, so when the old guy dies they don't replace him.
    Or do they still take this stuff seriously? Surely they would have some video footage of the possessed people spewing out nails, to put up on U-tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Anyone else here delighted that brady isn't resigning straight away?

I think it is causing positive outrage pushing people away from the catholic church which in my opinion is great. The same can be said for pope benedick [sic].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Will he resign? won't he resign? lets all talk about that, lets debate resignations. they all belong behind bars as long as I'm concerned.

ever since the publication of the report into clerical abuse. bishops immeadiatly spoke to the press saying "I'm not going to resign". then after a few weeks of public reaction they resign bacause it's "for the good of the church".

If they aided child abuse to the extent that they feel they should resign, perhaps a trial, legal process, and some prison time are in order?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

axer wrote: »
    Anyone else here delighted that brady isn't resigning straight away?

I think it is causing positive outrage pushing people away from the catholic church which in my opinion is great. The same can be said for pope benedick [sic].

I know what you mean. There is, under the anger and revulsion , a sense of self satisfaction and 'I TOLD YA SO" as each scandal breaks and another blow is delivered to the church. A very guilty pleasure derived from seeing a bully getting its comeuppance!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

recedite wrote: »
    I wonder if its one of those obsolete jobs, so when the old guy dies they don't replace him.
    Or do they still take this stuff seriously? Surely they would have some video footage of the possessed people spewing out nails, to put up on U-tube?
    Thank you, friend, for this evidence.
    We have a lively discussion on the poòpes letter on another thread, but this one is very enlightening too.

Jaysus, a man or woman after my own heart. Sorry I didn't see this before.
    If you are still interested, I can assure you that you can send a letter to your local chief supt. copied to the DPP simply referring to what has been reported in the press and asking for a proper investigation and that criminal charges be made if seen to be justified by such a proper investigation. You do not have to define the legal points involved. That is their job.
    I would also visibly copy to your local papers and to the indo and times to put pressure on and to have a journalist or two follow up for you.
    You are at no risk if you do as stated above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Interesting blog post on Sinead O'Connor - http://www.eoinbutler.com/home/isnt-sinead-oconnor-overdue-a-massive-grovelling-apology-from-absolutely-everybody/. Now I'm not really a fan but if you watch what she did 18 years ago:-

followed by the abuse she got for it:-

It's difficult not to admire her. Shes right about the Vatican though. These guys can't believe in God or they'd be expecting to go to hell for keeping all this quiet over the years.

This is interesting.
    Now we have Fox News weighing in with media-bias blaming the "liberals" in the US for bashing the church unfairly about paedofile rape by priests and promoting a "hard-line republican approach" to the whole issue, (whatever that means, especially when we recall the republican senator trying to seduce young male interns by e-mail, while they were working in his office.)
    I can just hear God to Ratty on this one:

God: Hey Ratty, you there? Have you seen that stuff on Fox News ? Who in christs name have we co-ordinating our PR? Judas? Feck, it's a balls of a game using republicans as models. I don't mind using Bush to burn half the world, but, Fox News as our representatives on the airwaves? Feck, feck, feck.....

ratzinger: Ok, OK, we are on it. No-one pays them any attention anyway. It might go un-noticed. Maybe we can try another tac. I heard Jerry Springer is getting a new programme. Maybe we can get him to front for us?

God; Ratty, hav

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Irlandese wrote: »
    No-one pays them any attention anyway.
    Most opinion polls have Fox as the "most trusted" news source in the USA:

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/01/fox-leads-for-trust.html

<facepalm>

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

robindch wrote: »
    Most opinion polls have Fox as the "most trusted" news source in the USA:

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2010/01/fox-leads-for-trust.html

<facepalm>

Time for?

2zsa637.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

All this talk - why don't they just get loads of Priest Off

• Advertisement

Raniero Cantalamessa, a close friend of Ratzinger, has, in broad terms, compared criticism of the pontiff and Church over child abuse to the Holocaust:
    following with disgust the violent and concentric attacks against the Church, the Pope... [...] The use of stereotypes, the shifting of personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt remind me of the most shameful aspects of anti-Semitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Raniero Cantalamessa, a close friend of Ratzinger, has, in broad terms, compared criticism of the pontiff and Church over child abuse to the Holocaust:

I was watching the news earlier and I heard this. I had to ask my wife if I had heard it correctly.

This feels like a corollary of Godwin's law at this point.

legspin wrote: »
    I was watching the news earlier and I heard this. I had to ask my wife if I had heard it correctly.
    Just when you think that things couldn't be handled any worse, some Vatican guy comes out with this...! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

He actually read a letter from 'a Jewish friend' and the Holocaust wasn't mentioned. But why let the facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

However, I imagine the Vatican's PR advisors just feel like putting a bullet in their own heads by this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The holocaust was certainly alluded to, although not mentioned by name.
    Personally I think it's more like the Nuremburg trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The holocaust was certainly alluded to, although not mentioned by name.

You need to remember that, over the last 1500 years, the Catholic Church has caused many notable examples of 'collective violence' against the Jews to which they can allude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Anyone watch the late late with Sinead? I’ve been really impressed with how level headed she has been in doing the media rounds on RTE, BBC & CNN. Unfortunately I’ve absolutely appalled by some of the US right wing blog posts about her just awful, awful stuff.

PDN wrote: »
    However, I imagine the Vatican's PR advisors just feel like putting a bullet in their own heads by this stage.
    They have PR advisors? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

They have PR advisors? :eek:
    I wouldn't think it is surprising since they also own a very successful bank, a palace and alot of priceless art etc. God bless the poor and the homeless, eh!

I would imagine the PR meeting would go something like this:

• Advertisement

Advertisement