Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where can I buy plain (distilled?) vinegar?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mellor wrote: »
    I buy a small bottle of 15% acetic acid in the asian shop.
    Essentially triple strength, white vinegar. It would be diluted to a normal strength, or probably used as-is, seing at it gets diluted anyway.

I have this in my [Canadian] kitchen right now:

20102756_front_a01.png

It's 5% acetic acid.

According to this, both white vinegar and distilled vinegar as suitable for cleaning etc. However, white vinegar is usually stronger, so it works a little better. You wouldn't put generally white vinegar on your food, I'd imagine. But distilled vinegar is weaker so can be used for food and pickling etc.
    1. White and distilled are types of vinegar. They differ fundamentally in their acetic acid content.
    2. White, also known as spirit vinegar, has 5% to 20% acetic acid. This is generally higher as compared to distilled vinegar’s 5%-8%.
    3. White is made by natural fermentation of sugar cane extract or by combining acetic acid with water. Distilled can be made from any time of vinegar, wherein more ethanol is separated from the base mixture.
    4. Both distilled and white can be used in cooking, cleaning, food preservation, and for medical and laboratory purposes. However, since white is stronger than its counterpart, it is more suitable for cleaning and disinfecting. Distilled vinegar, on the other hand, is better for cooking, flavoring, food preservation and as a natural home remedy.
    [/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Faith wrote: »
    I have this in my [Canadian] kitchen right now:

It's 5% acetic acid.

According to this, both white vinegar and distilled vinegar as suitable for cleaning etc. However, white vinegar is usually stronger, so it works a little better. You wouldn't put generally white vinegar on your food, I'd imagine. But distilled vinegar is weaker so can be used for food and pickling etc.
    5% is pretty weak though. Same as the standard vinegar for chips. I'd imagine the white/spirit vinegar by Heinz in the OP is for eating.

The stuff I have is 15%. Bought in the food section of an asian supermarket. I've use it for food only. :eek:
    I use cheap stuff in the washing machine sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cooperdunlea

Not yet. I'll see if I can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I bought this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TZT6GQE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 primarily for cleaning (also bought a giant container of bicarb soda)

I find vinegar amazing for getting the stench out of dog blankets etc (and of course for doggie accidents!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Today I was in Dublin for a certification test at the New Horizons facility, and I just found concentrated spirit vinegar (25%, dilute with five times the amount of water before use) at the Han Sung Market just below it (it's also known as Han Yang and I bet the restaurant in the back makes the best Korean/Chinese food on the island), on the bottom shelf near the rice vinegars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement