Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picket fencing.

• 04-05-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone,
    I'm puting up 6'3 ft fencing in garden using timber posts, how deep should the posts be in the ground? and do i just screw the fence panels to posts, or do i nail them? any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi everyone,
    I'm puting up 6'3 ft fencing in garden using timber posts, how deep should the posts be in the ground? and do i just screw the fence panels to posts, or do i nail them? any help would be appreciated.

You want the fence posts a good 16-18 inches deep in the ground and secured with either fast setting concrete or postcrete.

Id screw on the panels with some deck screws,as you can easily unscrew them if/when you need to fit a replacement fence panel.

Drill a small 3-4mm wide pilot hole 1st,and then screw them in place.

This means that you dont split/make shyte of the fence panel.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ben_in_Dublin

Cheers paddy. was told not to bother with concrete as that rots the wood faster, i'll see how secure one is, without it first. I don't have electric screwdriver, do you think i'd need one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cheers paddy. was told not to bother with concrete as that rots the wood faster, i'll see how secure one is, without it first. I don't have electric screwdriver, do you think i'd need one?

You could do it with brute force and get someone to hold the posts while you get up and use a lump hammer/sledgehammer and a block of wood to hammer posts into the ground.

Make sure that there are no undergrund utilities (gas,water,power) below where you are putting the fence posts into the ground.

Cordless screwgun is handy to have and makes life and work in general easier and faster too.

But the old fashioned way of doing it by hand will work.....hope you have good strong arms and wrists.

You have good weather for it anyway.:)

Advertisement