Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Article: City shop plan 'may increase Luas crashes'

Options
  • 13-08-2007 10:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THE Railway Procurement Agency has warned that the proposed €750m redevelopment of Arnott's department store could lead to an increase in traffic accidents involving Luas and cars.

The RPA has also warned An Bord Pleanala of a "significantly increased" possibility that delays to services will occur because of car-parking arrangements in the proposed Northern Quarter scheme.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/city-shop-plan-may-increase-luas-crashes-1057536.html

There's some interesting stuff in there... "In a letter to the board, the RPA says it was "denied its right" as a public body to comment on Arnott's plans."

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well the RPA have a point there - if Arnotts are causing a problem for them then they should be vocal about it. The LUAS has to work day in day out - Arnotts should not be allowed disturb a reliable service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I agree that having the car park exit onto Abbey St is daft but are the RPA not allowed to object to planning permission when it's being applied for. They were able to object after it was granted. Why not before (like everybody else has to).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Can we see these plans online anywhere?

Or is South Dublin County Council still the only Dublin council where you can get planning maps online and actually view in PDF format the drawings submitted by the applicants???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

monument wrote:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/city-shop-plan-may-increase-luas-crashes-1057536.html

There's some interesting stuff in there... "In a letter to the board, the RPA says it was "denied its right" as a public body to comment on Arnott's plans."

The RPA probably are not a notified body which would legally require them to be informed of such a application and have a clear defined right to submit a observation.

Most likely no one told the RPA about the application

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

spockety wrote:
    Or is South Dublin County Council still the only Dublin council where you can get planning maps online and actually view in PDF format the drawings submitted by the applicants???
    Aside: Fingal County Council have an online planning search where you can view PDF drawings. Only works in IE :rolleyes: They have assured me that version 2 will acknowledge the ~20% of users that use something other than IE.

I didn't find any online planning service on DCC's site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The RPA probably are not a notified body which would legally require them to be informed of such a application and have a clear defined right to submit a observation.

Most likely no one told the RPA about the application
    I get weekly emails from Fingal listing all the planning applications, objections and decisions made in the previous week. On behalf of my residents association I scan the applications for NIMBY opportunities :p
    RPA should be reviewing the planning applications in the areas that affect them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Red Alert wrote:
    Well the RPA have a point there

Just to make it clear - I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

daymobrew wrote:
    I didn't find any online planning service on DCC's site.

You didn't look very hard, couldn't be easier to see, it's on the page you linked to.
    Planning

This section of the site contains information about all aspects of the planning process.

Click here for Weekly Lists or to Search for a Planning Application

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just noticed today that Arnotts actually have a model of the development in their front window.

The car park looks like complete madness and I can't understand how it would be allowed in such an area that will be so well served by public transport in the future (Luas join up and Metro) and an area that should really have cars banned from it outright. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Red Alert wrote:
    The LUAS has to work day in day out - Arnotts should not be allowed disturb a reliable service.
    wasn't that what the folks in the IFSC said about Line C1 :D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

some pics here
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/search.php?searchid=364989

abbey street is dead at the mo...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

bk wrote:
    The car park looks like complete madness and I can't understand how it would be allowed in such an area that will be so well served by public transport in the future (Luas join up and Metro) and an area that should really have cars banned from it outright. Madness.
    Agreed. No new large-scale parking facilities should be allowed in areas such as these. The business community in Dublin is remarkably car-centric.

Advertisement