Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Excuse me for trying to lift the mood on this thread :P
    "O! from this time forth,
    My thoughts be bloody study, or be nothing worth!"
    See what I did there :P

If you are to succeed in the Leaving Cert, you must have nothing but the LC "In the book and volume of your brain". Do not attempt to assume a "virtue if you have it not", as I am aware that God hath given thee a face and thy give yourself another.

GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!!!!!

For a narrative short story in Paper one, can I use the first person? Or must I stick to the third perspective?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Just spent ages doing English. I'm prepared as I'll ever be for P1, ugh, just hope it pays off :eek:

I dont really get volumes by integration and I half learn them off. Once I get started I can finish it but yeah, starting is the problem :pac:

Does anyone have any wise tips to remember those S&S Sigma formulas? I know theyre not complex but...remember, its me. :P

and reznov I use both - you can even use second person, or alternate between narrators, as long as it makes a nice story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I always write in first person.

Also would "Dreams, Hopes and Aspirations" be considered a theme for the comparative?

Also Eminem needs to be on the Poetry course.

Fantastic. It technically breaks the definition of a short story as by definition it should be in third perspective. But phew, was worried for a bit there (:O).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

reznov wrote: »
    If you are to succeed in the Leaving Cert, you must have nothing but the LC "In the book and volume of your brain". Do not attempt to assume a "virtue if you have it not", as I am aware that God hath given thee a face and thy give yourself another.

GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!!!!!

More matter with less art Reznov... for brevity is the soul of wit :P
    I'm well aware that frality thy name is woman but do not, as some ungracious pastors do,show me the steep and thorny way to heaven and then take the primrose path yourself :P
    And Reznov I know not seems :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I just found out my family are doing up my bedroom this summer, even though I'll have moved out by the end of August. :rolleyes: I can feel the love. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Fantastic. It technically breaks the definition of a short story as by definition it should be in third perspective. But phew, was worried for a bit there (:O).
    Oh, really? :pac: I prefer first person, sure they cant fail you for it, and I doubt you'd even lose purpose marks.

More matter with less art Reznov... for brevity is the soul of wit :P
    I'm well aware that frality thy name is woman but do not, as some ungracious pastors do,show me the steep and thorny way to heaven and then take the primrose path yourself :P
    And Reznov I know not seems :P

Know, not seems? O most wicked speed to post with such dexterity to false conclusions. You cannot call me an ungracious pastor you adulterate, incestuous beast. For at your age, the heyday in your mind is tame.

Your words fly up, but thoughts remain below.
    Words without thoughts, never to heaven go.

Fast in the fires, the country from which no man returns.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh, really? :pac: I prefer first person, sure they cant fail you for it, and I doubt you'd even lose purpose marks.

Yes really. But who gives a ****. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Funny feeling this will come up as a comprehension tomorrow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Know, not seems? O most wicked speed to post with such dexterity to false conclusions. You cannot call me an ungracious pastor you adulterate, incestuous beast. For at your age, the heyday in your mind is tame.

Your words fly up, but thoughts remain below.
    Words without thoughts, never to heaven go.

Fast in the fires, the country from which no man returns.

Words, words, words Reznov...
    In deed more than words that's how i'll prove my purity :P
    Oh woe is me, to see what I have seen, to see what I see.
    I must be cruel only to be kind... but for now I must study, noble Reznov... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I feel fine...surprisingly. And I've been gone four days and ye have thirty pages?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I don't think this is true.

But yeah, you can write in first person. My teacher advises against it as it can be easy to slip into writing a personal essay instead of a short story, but if you avoid this, it's fine. I find it way easier to write in first person :)

English is the worst exam. It's so stressful! Once English is out of the way the other exams will actually be fine. My boyfriend has an English degree, I don't know how he survived it, I can't imagine any greater torture than studying English in university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Once Geog and English are over that'll be a big weight off my mind. This time 2 weeks exactly I'll be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Just did all the 80 mark questions for that. Project, them and hopefully short questions will keep me up! Can't wait to get started here now :) Goodluck to all my boardsies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

finality wrote: »
    English is the worst exam. It's so stressful! Once English is out of the way the other exams will actually be fine. My boyfriend has an English degree, I don't know how he survived it, I can't imagine any greater torture than studying English in university.

Ha, exact same here! I despise English and can't wait for Thursday to be over so I never have to do it again, but my boyfriend's studying English in college :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

300 people in the forum.
    Weird and desperate lurker levels reaching crisis levels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ Craig Mealy Couch

I think I just sh!t my pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What do you's prefer the english or maths papers?

I'm feeling pretty okay about english , maths is the stress especially project maths.

finality wrote: »
    I don't think this is true.

But yeah, you can write in first person. My teacher advises against it as it can be easy to slip into writing a personal essay instead of a short story, but if you avoid this, it's fine. I find it way easier to write in first person :)

My teacher along with my JC teacher has commented on a short story technically needing to be in the third perspective. Hence I ask.
    Of course nobody Really maintains that idea, and I too believe it is false. But just in case.
    it is the unpredictabilityand subjectivity which makes it so stressful.

Sorry lads, does anyone have a website that does out the trigonometric proofs for HL paper 2? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Don't really know what else to do for the Paper I essay tomorrow, have an essay sort of planned for:
    • War/Death
    • Love/Marriage/Friendship

Polar opposites, hope to God the short story suits tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I think once I do English paper 1 tomorrow, I'll kick into exam mode and full on get into the exam routine. In the mocks after English Paper 1 I was so focused in my exams and I actually really well in the mocks (hopefully not better than I do in the actual thing!). Also in the JC I think I can recall actually recall half enjoying the exams!! Strange as it may seem :P But yeah I think I'll get down to it after tomorrow. :cool:

As someone in some other thread said (can't remember) what will be, will be :)

must stay calm......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wesc. wrote: »
    I think once I do English paper 1 tomorrow, I'll kick into exam mode and full on get into the exam routine. In the mocks after English Paper 1 I was so focused in my exams and I actually really well in the mocks (hopefully not better than I do in the actual thing!). Also in the JC I think I can recall actually recall half enjoying the exams!! Strange as it may seem :P But yeah I think I'll get down to it after tomorrow. :cool:

As someone in some other thread said (can't remember) what will be, will be :)

must stay calm......
    I'm actually quite calm. I'm looking forward to getting in there and SHOWING THE LEAVING WHO'S BOSS..

*Whilst praying I can morph my prepared short story in there somewhere! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I was calm earlier but I'm gradually turning into a pile of nerves. :rolleyes:

PictureFrame how you doing with Geography? Its down to God at this stage for me :L only know adaptations and odd answers here and there :/

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Hayezer wrote: »
    PictureFrame how you doing with Geography? Its down to God at this stage for me :L only know adaptations and odd answers here and there :/

Look at the human interactions for geoecology.. come up every year!

God geography, apart from doing a full exam paper there I haven't looked at in a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

My dad went out and got me pens and wine gums for the exams, aww :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement