Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

3 weeks and this will be over!
    Time feels as if it's going extremely slow the closer it gets I just want it to hurry up so they will be over if. It started off going fast the closer it got but now it feels as it's slowing down .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Yeah its going slower now but when the exams start I reckon it'll fly:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

As much time as I waste here I honestly think Boards has motivated me by reading about the amount of study some people here are doing. As stupid as it is, my brain goes "Omg, I need to do as much as them afshfkafajkfhak!!

So thanks everyone! :P

One person springs to mind.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Wesc. wrote: »
    One person springs to mind.. :pac:

Definitely NOT PictureFrame!! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

All you guys and yer '3 weeks'...2 weeks here! :P

I'll be in America while yous finish your leaving :pac: Whisked away :rolleyes:

But then again I'll be repeating while you're all in college so I wont have the last laugh :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Omg so me and my friend were more or less in the same boat, yano, like dreading the LC, feeling unprepared, telling each other about how little study we were doing and just generally panicking together! :P

Then just there now, I find out from another friend that the 1st friend is doing 12 HOURS PER DAY!!!!!! :O
    Like wtf? I'm just kinda annoyed like because he was saying about how he was so screwed and doing no study etc and me there thinking 'great I'm not alone' but then this comes out!

Like fair play in doing 12 hours, but sweet mother WHY lie about it? I wish he had of told me rather than stringing along with it :/

/rant

Patchy~ wrote: »

But then again I'll be repeating while you're all in college so I wont have the last laugh :P

You're so lucky you're off in two weeks?
    are you serious about repeating lol? don't give up yet before it's even begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

This time 3 weeks I'll be off having a few drinks in celebration. It's really scary though, it feels like only last week I was saying "This day 3 MONTHS" :(

Not too worried about the first week though in fairness. English is fine and I'm feeling super confident about maths paper 1 all of a sudden. The Monday and Tuesday of the second week will be a killer, but after that I've only 3 more and they're all nicely spaced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Any HL Maths peeps have a version of the geometry proof by contradiction that they could PM me? Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Manic2 wrote: »
    Omg so me and my friend were more or less in the same boat, yano, like dreading the LC, feeling unprepared, telling each other about how little study we were doing and just generally panicking together! :P

Then just there now, I find out from another friend that the 1st friend is doing 12 HOURS PER DAY!!!!!! :O
    Like wtf? I'm just kinda annoyed like because he was saying about how he was so screwed and doing no study etc and me there thinking 'great I'm not alone' but then this comes out!

Like fair play in doing 12 hours, but sweet mother WHY lie about it? I wish he had of told me rather than stringing along with it :/

/rant

I hate people who do that. :mad: Like why would you lie?? Jesus if you're studying away then respect! People seem to think it's horrendously embarrassing to actually be studying. :rolleyes: Yeah totes morto I'm working really hard and I'm going to get my course - cringe or what!! It's a joke. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Togepi wrote: »
    Definitely NOT PictureFrame!! :P

:) :pac:

You're so lucky you're off in two weeks?
    are you serious about repeating lol? don't give up yet before it's even begun.
    Yep, last exam is business :) Lol it crosses my mind tbh - I wont have a problem getting 400ish points for my course but maths worries me. It's unlikely but I cant write it off, I'll start swallowing my pride now rather than in August. Everyone's expecting me to do really well so I'm trying to get rid of that image :o Might happen, might not like! :P
    Any HL Maths peeps have a version of the geometry proof by contradiction that they could PM me? Thanks :D
    It doesnt have to be done by geometry does it? I learned it by calculus but my teacher actually did a way simpler one today. It was find the turning points of the graph when dy/dx = -2/(x+2)^2. That can never equal 0, so you've proved by contradiction that there cant possibly be turning points :)

(the contradiction is -2 = 0, which clearly isnt the case :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

We talked about this mister :P You will not be repeating :) you'll be off to college next year :) You need to have more confidence in yourself patch :)
    If anyone will be repeating, it will be the girl who decided to have a part time job the last 2 years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Togepi wrote: »
    I hate people who do that. :mad: Like why would you lie?? Jesus if you're studying away then respect! People seem to think it's horrendously embarrassing to actually be studying. :rolleyes: Yeah totes morto I'm working really hard and I'm going to get my course - cringe or what!! It's a joke. :cool:

Agreeed! I'm happy for him and all like but God why lie it's so stupid! It's just kinda annoyed me but that's LC hormones for ya :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Derp, sent you the PM and then realised that you said geometry. Sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

It doesnt have to be done by geometry does it? I learned it by calculus but my teacher actually did a way simpler one today. It was find the turning points of the graph when dy/dx = -2/(x+2)^2. That can never equal 0, so you've proved by contradiction that there cant possibly be turning points :)

Do we only need one example for this, or two? My teacher gave us two but I only know one?

Yep, last exam is business :) Lol it crosses my mind tbh - I wont have a problem getting 400ish points for my course but maths worries me. It's unlikely but I cant write it off, I'll start swallowing my pride now rather than in August. Everyone's expecting me to do really well so I'm trying to get rid of that image :o Might happen, might not like! :P

Just do your best and see what happens then and if you do feel really not confident with maths maybe you could drop to ordinary and just get like a C/B in it unless you really need the points. You could have a look at the ordinary just incase you on the day you decide not to go ahead with the honours. You've been working hard at the honours you might as well stick with it with all the effort you've put in.

Nah but there is one you can do by Geometry and it's fairly easy AFAIK. :rolleyes: I know one using logs and one letting root 2 be irrational but I just wanted to have a gander at the geometry one to see what the craic was :p

Do we only need one example for this, or two? My teacher gave us two but I only know one?
    I cant imagine why we'd need two :)
    Just do your best and see what happens then and if you do feel really not confident with maths maybe you could drop to ordinary and just get like a C/B in it unless you really need the points. You could have a look at the ordinary just incase you on the day you decide not to go ahead with the honours. You've been working hard at the honours you might as well stick with it with all the effort you've put in.
    I do feel confident in it if its a nice exam, but if its like last year I'd be terrified :( The 4% fail rate makes me feel better anyway and I got a C3 in the mock, I think its more the idea of failing when I know I could easily pass OL thats worrying me haha. I dont need the points is the thing, but I dont wanna count history :/ Could never drop on the day though or even now tbh, its too close :P Yeah I have been, I guess you're right :D Come what may :P
    Nah but there is one you can do by Geometry and it's fairly easy AFAIK. :rolleyes: I know one using logs and one letting root 2 be irrational but I just wanted to have a gander at the geometry one to see what the craic was :p
    Oh god that root 2 one's awful! The differentiation one I posted is actually lovely, but the other calculus one I learned is more detailed. I know it now but I wouldnt advise learning it anyway :pac: My book actually just says "x > 10. x > 15. we cannot directly disprove this but we can show that x > 11 creates a contradiction", seems very basic :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Has anyone else been listening to that countdown to 606 on 2xm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

This is really strange .. but i'm going to bed now :O so wrecked and I haven't gone to bed this early since I dunno when :O Guten nacht :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Oh lads did anyone see s club 7s reunion video? It's shocking. It's just Jo, Bradley and Paul!! It's not the same without Rachel, Tina, Hannah and Jon!

Oh dear it's probably sad that I know all of their names (and songs). But they were such a big part of my childhood :P

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Oh lads did anyone see s club 7s reunion video? It's shocking. It's just Jo, Bradley and Paul!! It's not the same without Rachel, Tina, Hannah and Jon!

Oh dear it's probably sad that I know all of their names (and songs). But they were such a big part of my childhood :P

Omg I saw the video S club 3 they're so awful apart from Bradley.
    They're ruining the songs now they don't all sing in tune. I used to love S Club :). It feels weird watching 3 sing the song and not 6/7.
    Did you see the video of them singing live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Does anyone remember the S Club 7 film "Seeing Double"? Oh god guys, I can't even remember what it was about, I just remember it being the best.

I cant imagine why we'd need two :)

I do feel confident in it if its a nice exam, but if its like last year I'd be terrified :( The 4% fail rate makes me feel better anyway and I got a C3 in the mock, I think its more the idea of failing when I know I could easily pass OL thats worrying me haha. I dont need the points is the thing, but I dont wanna count history :/ Could never drop on the day though or even now tbh, its too close :P Yeah I have been, I guess you're right :D Come what may :P

Oh god that root 2 one's awful! The differentiation one I posted is actually lovely, but the other calculus one I learned is more detailed. I know it now but I wouldnt advise learning it anyway :pac: My book actually just says "x > 10. x > 15. we cannot directly disprove this but we can show that x > 11 creates a contradiction", seems very basic :confused:
    Ah, it's not that bad once you understand the logic behind it! There's one with logs too and it's pretty easy imho! And don't worry about Maths! I failed the mock and I'm feeling pretty confident! My main problem was I had done no work for Maths ever and only started about two months ago. I've every Paper 1 and Paper 2 done that I could get my hands on so I'm feeling pretty good about it all! Will be absolutely gutted if I don't get at least a C3 tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

What's with all the talk of proof by contradiction by geometry, won't a differentiation one do?

Does anyone remember the S Club 7 film "Seeing Double"? Oh god guys, I can't even remember what it was about, I just remember it being the best.

I loved that film still do :). I love the songs in it too . Haha oh yeah and the celebrities that they had in it.

rkeano5 wrote: »
    What's with all the talk of proof by contradiction by geometry, won't a differentiation one do?
    There are several examples of proofs by contradiction and AFAIK all of them are valid. I was just asking to look at the geometry one if anyone knew it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Can't work out who to direct this reply to! But we got a really simple geometry proof by contradiction as follows:

To prove: No triangle can have more than one right angle.

Given triangle ABC. Angle A and angle B are both right angles.
    Angles in a triangle add to 180. A + B + C = 90 + 90 + C = 180
    --> C = 0 --> Not a triangle
    This contradicts the given fact that ABC is a triangle, therefore there can only be at most 1 right angle in a triangle.

Is this the one you guys are looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone else been listening to that countdown to 606 on 2xm?

Yep, but I've missed the last two. Are they worth listening back to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement