Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

micko2009 wrote: »
    Not sure if its a Windows phone problem or just another bug in the Lumia 800, but has anyone else experienced long loading of single emails in threads from gmail? I have three gmail accounts in my linked inboxes. Also if you decide to hit the back buttong after waiting too long the screen doesn't reload and crashs back to the main home screen.

I haven't noticed this, maybe i just don't have a long enough thread. I have HTC Trophy running latest mango.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Not sure if its a Windows phone problem or just another bug in the Lumia 800, but has anyone else experienced long loading of single emails in threads from gmail? I have three gmail accounts in my linked inboxes. Also if you decide to hit the back buttong after waiting too long the screen doesn't reload and crashs back to the main home screen.

I've a Lumia 800 running the latest OS update and haven't had this problem but my longest email thread is only 9 emails and I only have 2 linked email accounts, one gmail and one outlook exchange. How many emails are in your thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Well the limit in gmail goes up to 100 emails per thread. I have a google group of friends who post in the same thread, so at the moment its at around 30 odd, maybe. Just recently started happening after the update. It seems like it is trying to load every email in the thread everytime when you view a new mail, I thought the threads would have been saved so maybe slowing it down abit and causing it to crash.

Out of matter of interest whats your battery life like after update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Hi Folks

An A-Z index kind of a thing has appeared on my apps page. I.E. a over Alarm m over maps p over phone etc.

How can I get rid of it ? It's annoying me

Only way to get rid of it is to do a hard reset. Once you go over a certain number of apps it automatically appears increasing the amount of scrolling you have to do if your not using the letters lol

Too bad MS never gave you the option to turn it off. Lets hope them rumours about tango bringin some sort of folders comes out to be true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've noticed on my Omnia that even when volume at the max, it's pitifully low, so much so that when I'm walking down the street in high traffic/wind, it's almost inaudible in terms of music. Pretty disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Once you go over a certain number of apps it automatically appears increasing the amount of scrolling you have to do if your not using the letters lol

Yep - nail on head there, bugging me now but not enough for hard reset

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

TBi wrote: »
    They don't have it on the website. Are you sure it wasn't just the older Omnia 7?

I'm pretty sure. It's in a smaller box and says Omnia W, not Omnia 7. :)

I don't mean I got it though, I meant Meteor stores got it last week. I'm probably going to hold off for the Lumia 800 because of the better camera and memory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The latest update (7.10.8107 I think) is supposed to have some Gmail fixes, although it hasn't been widely distributed I think.

Well the limit in gmail goes up to 100 emails per thread. I have a google group of friends who post in the same thread, so at the moment its at around 30 odd, maybe. Just recently started happening after the update. It seems like it is trying to load every email in the thread everytime when you view a new mail, I thought the threads would have been saved so maybe slowing it down abit and causing it to crash.

Out of matter of interest whats your battery life like after update?

30! I'm a good bit away from 30 in one thread yet :D

I have only got the OS update and I'm still waiting for the firmware one. Oddly my battery doesn't seem too bad and I've the Cyan model battery bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

Not sure if it can handle that many mails in a single thread.. 30 isn't that bad is it?

I have the latest firmware from Nokia, battery is better.. not perfect but better, not sure how some people are getting two days out of theres now with good usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If one things going to turn me away from windows phone its the horror that is zune. Why the hell ms thought they could piggyback such a redheaded stepchild into popularity on the back of their phone is beyond me. Give me connectivity through explorer for gods sake

Bambi wrote: »
    If one things going to turn me away from windows phone its the horror that is zune. Why the hell ms thought they could piggyback such a redheaded stepchild into popularity on the back of their phone is beyond me. Give me connectivity through explorer for gods sake

I quite like Zune. Better than iTunes in ways. Might be nice to access directly through explorer but I would not say Zune is a horror.

I quite like Zune. Better than iTunes in ways. Might be nice to access directly through explorer but I would not say Zune is a horror.

I only use it to update..one of the reasons i dont use my phone for media is zune, it's a classic case of all aesthetic and f**k all use. for example, you click on the video collection and it tells you that you've no movies, so you check you libraries. Yep folders are all there. Click on the music collection, all your music is there. You click back on your video collection..no movies. But wait...that list over on the far side that is set to "movies"? yep...you need to select "all" or "other" to bring your videos up.

I mean what gimp actually thought that layout was logical?

Same with copying a video from the phone to pc...on a fresh install of zune it copied the file to a subfolder my pictures or somewhere bizarre. I don't like obtuse straightjacket software and zune definitely qualifies as both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Yeah I quite like Zune too, it launches immediately, syncs fast, and does a good job of bulk editing mp3s. I use it as the main mp3 player on my laptop, but I'm not a big fan of photo viewing or video playing on it.

Just got the 8107 update on my o2 hd7, I haven't noticed any changes but then again I never experienced the disappearing-keyboard bug or anything else weird.

My SO got the update on her lumia the other night and the only difference seems to be a slightly lower default screen brightness indoors. she never had the battery bug, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I only use it to update..one of the reasons i dont use my phone for media is zune, it's a classic case of all aesthetic and f**k all use. for example, you click on the video collection and it tells you that you've no movies, so you check you libraries. Yep folders are all there. Click on the music collection, all your music is there. You click back on your video collection..no movies. But wait...that list over on the far side that is set to "movies"? yep...you need to select "all" or "other" to bring your videos up.

I mean what gimp actually thought that layout was logical?

Same with copying a video from the phone to pc...on a fresh install of zune it copied the file to a subfolder my pictures or somewhere bizarre. I don't like obtuse straightjacket software and zune definitely qualifies as both

You can change your videos properties to have it show up in Movies, or TV Shows. Its the same in iTunes. Media collection programs like Zune and iTunes are not folder based, so they cant automatically tell that those files in the Movies folder are movies.

I enjoy Zune. Whenever i have a party, I hook my laptop up to the TV and have it display on that. The now playing screen is brilliant.

Windows Phone and iPhone are marketed so that anyone can use them. When you use explorer to add files, that becomes a problem.
    For example, my mother knows that to add music to her iPod, she has to click on iTunes, and select the music she wants to copy.
    Ask her to open explorer, navigate to the music folder, and copy the files to the external player, and she will be forever lost.

DjFlin wrote: »
    You can change your videos properties to have it show up in Movies, or TV Shows. Its the same in iTunes. Media collection programs like Zune and iTunes are not folder based, so they cant automatically tell that those files in the Movies folder are movies.

im sure you can do lots of things if you can be arsed wasting your time playing with it but its still crappy design which adds nothing to the phones utility *shakes stick at its crapness*. Copying to the device should be simple...select file or folder, copy/convert...done. No faffing about with a library that your phone doesn't need, no messing with poncey interfaces...bish bosh... the windows OS has being doing it for years, leave it to it.

Microsoft doughnutted zune into windows phone 7 to try increase zunes penetration into the market, same way they do with all their crap products that they then eventually drop.

If I wanted a mediacentre I'd use something decent like XBMC...which I do.:pac:

I haven't had much problem with Zune so far but I do agree that its a long why from perfect. Hopefully a new improved version will be released for Windows 8

im sure you can do lots of things if you can be arsed wasting your time playing with it but its still crappy design which adds nothing to the phones utility *shakes stick at its crapness*. Copying to the device should be simple...select file or folder, copy/convert...done. No faffing about with a library that your phone doesn't need, no messing with poncey interfaces...bish bosh... the windows OS has being doing it for years, leave it to it.

Microsoft doughnutted zune into windows phone 7 to try increase zunes penetration into the market, same way they do with all their crap products that they then eventually drop.

Some people like using a system like Zune or iTunes to do their dirty work for them, other people (like you) prefer to take a more hands on approach. WP7 and iOS aren't marketed at people like you, android would be a better choice.

I'm a full on tech geek person. I know my way around windows, linux, OSX, unix, BeOS... but i like the ease of use i get with WP7 and iOS. I can work with android, root it, side load apps, sure i can even ssh into it and load software/music on it that way. I just won't want to.

I go into iTunes, listen to a song, give it three stars (heart in Zune) and it automatically gets copied to my iPhone/WP7 next time i sync up. If i get bored of a song i reduce the stars (un-heart) and it automatically gets removed. This way i don't have to go grab my phone, plug it in and copy the song straight away. If i don't do it straight away i might forget to do it later. It makes my life a lot easier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I like Zune. Having come from iTunes I found it much easier to get used to, although hit is still far from perfect.

I do miss the ability to just copy and paste through explorer though. I kind of see the reasoning for it, I'm sure they wanted to copy and improve upon the iTunes/iDevice experience, and it's another brick in the 'walled garden' approach that both MS and Apple have taken. With the amount of stories lately about malware on the android platform, it's easy to see why the walled garden approach appeals to MS and Apple, not to mention the fact that they can take a cut of all the apps and media sold for the devices.

But I'd like to have seen at least a middle-ground approach, where you could copy media to the device manually, but maybe not been able to touch the app areas.

Lol you really don't unederstand that people can't use the explorer to copy stuff. They just simply don't know how to. I like zune. Even though it doesnt want to update my music library sometimes. It's a perfect simple music player and media manager that looks good :)

I used to be used to folders. But when I got used to Zune I found out how awkward folders were. It's a lot more convenient to right click and press sync. Rather than open file location and right click, send to blablabla, have to go back to Zune then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Any idea when the Netflix app will make it into the market? I tried ringing Netflix today to find out but I wanted to kill the operator.

Me: When is the app for Windows going to be in the market? It's already in the American market.

Rep: <American Enthusiasm!> That's a great questions! We are currently planning to support a number of devices and will release details as soon as we can </American Enthusiasm>

Me: Uh, the app is already there. I can download it with an American account. It just needs to be put in the Irish market

Rep: Repeats same line

I just cut him off and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Is there any WP7 app that uses the webtext's for O2 working? As I do remember there was one that did work before

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

chrislad wrote: »
    Any idea when the Netflix app will make it into the market? I tried ringing Netflix today to find out but I wanted to kill the operator.

Me: When is the app for Windows going to be in the market? It's already in the American market.

Rep: <American Enthusiasm!> That's a great questions! We are currently planning to support a number of devices and will release details as soon as we can </American Enthusiasm>

Me: Uh, the app is already there. I can download it with an American account. It just needs to be put in the Irish market

Rep: Repeats same line

I just cut him off and hung up.

Easily wound up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I'm kind of annoyed that valve did not develop a steam app for windows phone 7 :mad:

It has a good deal of support on the steam forums:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2504563&page=11

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

simi956 wrote: »
    Is there any WP7 app that uses the webtext's for O2 working? As I do remember there was one that did work before

Hi,

I am the owner of Sendu SMS. Unfortunately O2 have decided to block all cabbage based SMS apps. This means in order to service O2 the sending functionality needs to be built into the application. Since this requires a larger amount of maintainability it's just not feesable to do. I just thought I would let you know why O2 is not being supported by SMS apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Dean Mc, Thanks for the reply

Im just listening to some feedback from people at launch of Lumia 800. Seems as majority of females are quite attracted to the OS as its slick and has all the social networks in one place. Direct picture uploads and etc.

Males not so much (self pride i think) and the admitance that its a cool phone. They just like their old one more than whats coming new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Im just listening to some feedback from people at launch of Lumia 800. Seems as majority of females are quite attracted to the OS as its slick and has all the social networks in one place. Direct picture uploads and etc.

Males not so much (self pride i think) and the admitance that its a cool phone. They just like their old one more than whats coming new :)

Were you at the launch ? Is that solicited feedback or just overheard conversations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Sitting here having lunch. Trying to decide if I want to renew an 18 month contract & get a lumia. These decisions are killing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Sitting here having lunch. Trying to decide if I want to renew an 18 month contract & get a lumia. These decisions are killing me.

Do it! You're already getting shafted by vodafone with a sh1tty tariff, might as well vote with your antipathy as have a nice handset :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement