Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CTYI Wiki

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

"And the three men I admire most, the Father, Son and Fergal Close..."

*sniff* I really never thought it'd happen boy, we've gotten old. Come on, I'll buy you a drink... You're going to have to pass me my stick first though...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

You know, for some reason, I never found out what those mumbled words were in place of Holy Ghost. Dunno why. It just seemed like one big "Father, Son and ASDIFHALSDGHL" noise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Oh we have gotten old, haven't we. We'll start developing a taste for Murphy's soon enough.

It's depressing to think that there are CTYIers that have never heard of Fergal. It's even worse to think that they just shout loudly at the disco without knowing what they're saying. Whatever about never meeting Fergal, never having heard of him is incomprehensible.

What's next, people asking 'who's Dr. Sheila?'. I feel cold.

Somebody should make the both wiki pages.

I got me some hate mail! I love this stuff... Makes me feel important.

http://www.viewfromthequad.com/ctyi/index.php?title=Hate_mail

• Advertisement

Jack Lynch wrote: »
    It's even worse to think that they just shout loudly at the disco without knowing what they're saying.

I'm fairly sure that most people don't do that (last year, anyway). The people who did that were the sort of people who didn't realize that some things just have to end when everybody (including yourself) has no idea what they are about.

Anyway, boinking this thread to the top to remind the session 1 people to fill some stuff into the wiki, specially the "Tips_2008" section for tips for the Session 2 people. http://www.talesofthequad.com

Is it just me, or did a lot of the traditions die after the exodus of '05? I know there were larger exodi (probably not the plural, but it should be) since, but the Nevermores of '05 seem to be the last ones keen on keeeping the old CTYI ways going.

Is it just me, or did a lot of the traditions die after the exodus of '05? I know there were larger exodi (probably not the plural, but it should be) since, but the Nevermores of '05 seem to be the last ones keen on keeeping the old CTYI ways going.

They kept up until last year, when a record amount of people left, who had been trained by the 05 peeps to keep up the feeling. I think it was something like 104 nevermores. This year was very haphazard in terms of the old traditions, but new ones are emerging.

I predict that in the coming years the "old" traditions will die out, and a new set will begin. This is because of the 05 AND 07 "exodi". With 08, another 88 people left, and we were the ones trained to keep it up.

I'm not really resentful about this, I think it is good. Out with the old as CTYI comes into another generation.

This brings up a good question... How long will a set of traditions last? I mean ones like Bathrobe Thursday and not American Pie, as American Pie is something that year after year EVERYBODY is subjected too, while BRT is ever so slightly more subtle.

There are certainly levels of tradition. American Pie is top of the list, with the Dressing-Gown Thursdays and the Points Game coming after that, then working down to things like Random Lick Day and Hacky-Sack.

I'm not so sure about the traditions dying out that soon. The exodised of years gone by will be returning as RAs and TAs from this year on. Who knows, they might bring them all back.

What new traditions, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

"And the three men I admire most, the Father, Son and Fergal Close..."

*sniff* I really never thought it'd happen boy, we've gotten old. Come on, I'll buy you a drink... You're going to have to pass me my stick first though...

Jaysis... I feel old just hearing his name, nevermind him being a teacher in my school, and me only having heard of his legendary status through previous ctyiers, in my first year...

Having been a nevermore in 05, and having all but 5 (that I can remember) friends in 05 being non-nevermores, I would happily call 05 The Great Exodus.

I would abso****inglutely love to go for pints with the lot of them, including the RAs... And I doubt that's just me! A CTYI beers would not go amiss....

The CTYI Social Drinker's Club. Could be on to something there...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markytowny94

the ctyi wiki is looking well good now. LOADZ of updates. check it out. its very quiet around here lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Thanks mark, will do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 doyler32

Well if you're buying a drink it has to be canteen orange juice...

Knock knock knocking on Fergal's door...

Didn't one of the sciencey courses in '03 figure out that the orange juice was 25% mayonaisse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Didn't one of the sciencey courses in '03 figure out that the orange juice was 25% mayonaisse?

No. It was a few years before, I think, and it was just that it had been mixed in mayonnaise tubs. Which had been washed. A perfectly reasonable thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Copied21

You can get 'em off youtube, or better yet ask the maker David Hanley for 'em. Also, ask Kevin if he'd be prepared to donate some footage from CTYI '05.

Regards

Copied

_____
    dossier surendettement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I think he's still chilling in the bahamas, on a bed of money scammed from CTYIers.

An update on why the wiki is down (if anybody cares).

Some asshat managed to wipe the MySQL database. I have no idea why they would want to do that. And if they could do that, why wouldn't they have done it to all my other sites as well? (All on same database, just like Dreamhost like).

So yea. Until we find somebody with a working backup, we are down for the count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

slasher_65 wrote: »
    An update on why the wiki is down (if anybody cares).

Some asshat managed to wipe the MySQL database...

The wiki is back up and in my control at the same address (http://talesofthequad.com). Unfortunately due to the actions of said asshat we only have a limited number of pages (though, huge thanks to the guy who had them archived). We would, however, seriously appreciate if people could going back and contribute pages :) Thank you!

Advertisement