Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

has anybody got an email contact...........the marketing manager would be especially good to get hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

...And the story continues. It now appears I have a block on the card so I can't register it. I've been putting off contacting them due to the long delays in getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Just set up my online access on Avant and had no problems. Was I just lucky? They have an extra security question for logging in - an 8 character "Memorable word" and they ask you for 4 letters of the word each time you log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭SteM

yop wrote: »
    Thats Tesco is it? :D

I must see what Danske are like, who I bank with.

What limits do Tesco give, I have a large limit on my card which I would require to keep.

I've had an MBNA for years visa and have built up a large limit, a couple of years ago I was going to get a Tescos visa because they were offering a better deal. I applied and they offered me a limit of €1000. I told them cancel my application. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faricy

I've just sent letters to Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim and Kilrush, Co. Clare cancelling my card....this is total bulls%%t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

FYI: I just got through to Avant to cancel the card. Took me 15mins of music waiting, and the cancellation department are currently swamped, but they've assured me it will be closed today and they'll ring me back to confirm.

For cancellations you have to ring: 0818 409 513.
    For anything else it's the usual MBNA number: 0818 409 511

Remember to get the persons name and make sure they ring you back to confirm anything not done there and then.
    They can't email you with written verification, I asked. Seemingly their email system is not set up yet. LMAO!!

Hhmm, time to shop around for a new card. Tescos anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

Faricy wrote: »
    I've just sent letters to Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim and Kilrush, Co. Clare cancelling my card....this is total bulls%%t!

From Avant website Q & A: To close your account your account balance needs to be paid in full (including any possible unposted or pending transaction’s). Once the final payment has cleared on your account and the account has a zero balance you can call the Customer Loyalty Dept on 0818 409 513 – Open 9 - 5 on business days, or write to us at: Customer Loyalty Dept, AvantCard, Dublin Rd, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim requesting to close the account. Please also be aware of the 30 euro Government Stamp Duty liable upon closure of the account and also to allow for any possible Residual Retail Interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

Interesting to see if this phone number is operating at a better pace than their customer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Just wondering, is it ok to lodge money using my MBNA credit card since I bought some items online a couple of weeks ago? I tried using my credit card online last week but it didn't work (apparently it was 'blocked'). If I went to An Post and lodged money to my MBNA card would their system know if the card was working or not? I haven't been able to register on AvantCard's website yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Don't forget, you have to already have your credit completely paid and a balance of +€30 before you can close the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

The common thread in all that mail was that you didn't have to do anything, everything would be grand, yeh right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

robo wrote: »
    Just set up my online access on Avant and had no problems. Was I just lucky? They have an extra security question for logging in - an 8 character "Memorable word" and they ask you for 4 letters of the word each time you log in.

Yep just lucky, they told me due to the high volume there website is slow to react / register im waiting a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faricy

Try phoning them on 0818409511, they will accept payment from Debit Card over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

I do not understand how a large company like this has not simply requested some extra dedicated servers to be put onto the site hosting. It is realllly easy to do and would reduce the work load. I mean come on they know that all the customers would wanna get on their site in the first few days of change over so why did they not just pay for a few extra servers this month.
    Oh crap sorry, just realised that would have been sensible...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

no email/ online form in their contact details...........in 2013 that is just nuts!

I've contacted PTSB and applied for their visa, they said that the 30 gov fee would only be charged once even if I change after the April 1 date.

What is the 30e fee to close the account about? Never heard of it before....I only have a credit card, not full banking with MBNA, will it still be charged when I cancel my credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

carolmon wrote: »
    no email/ online form in their contact details...........in 2013 that is just nuts!

I've contacted PTSB and applied for their visa, they said that the 30 gov fee would only be charged once even if I change after the April 1 date.

What is the 30e fee to close the account about? Never heard of it before....I only have a credit card, not full banking with MBNA, will it still be charged when I cancel my credit card?

The €30 is an annual stamp duty charge that applies to credit card accounts- the government gets it, not the CC company. Even if you close your account mid year, it still has to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Basically, clear your account in full and put it about €35 into credit then request to close it. You'll definitely get a cheque back for any credit balance but it saves a hell of a lot of hassle with minor fees / charges that might be outstanding.

Also make sure you've cancelled any recurring payments like Netflix etc etc they can suddenly charge just at the wrong time and result in your card rolling on for another month.

My AvantCard online banking is working but this is definitely a total fiasco of a change over. Although, nothing about the financial services industry would surprise me anymore.

This is still a very minor inconvenience compared to the ulster bank IT "meltdown"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hmm, so I paid my MBNA bill as normal on friday via bank transfer, each time i pay on a friday it it paid on tuesday, just checked on my AdvantCard site there, nothing received, I am guessing they are slower at receiving money???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bermieblowin

Quick question guys.

I am currently living abroad and don't have the physical MBNA card anymore (wallet was stolen). Anyway, I don't know my 16 digit number so have no way of registering.
    All I am concerned with doing is paying the balance due, which I do monthly using Billpay.ie.
    When I log in to Billpay i notice that the avatar has now changed to AvantCard. If I continue to make payments to the mandate set up in Billpay.ie will it pay off my balance or just bounce back?

Naturally I would call customer service and try and get an answer however whenever I call i am on hold for an eternity and have to hang up!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Quick question guys.

I am currently living abroad and don't have the physical MBNA card anymore (wallet was stolen). Anyway, I don't know my 16 digit number so have no way of registering.
    All I am concerned with doing is paying the balance due, which I do monthly using Billpay.ie.
    When I log in to Billpay i notice that the avatar has now changed to AvantCard. If I continue to make payments to the mandate set up in Billpay.ie will it pay off my balance or just bounce back?

Naturally I would call customer service and try and get an answer however whenever I call i am on hold for an eternity and have to hang up!

Thanks

should just pay off the balance, there is a slight delay in receipt of payments but mine have gone through thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just got a mail back from EBS saying they will have the option to pay advantcard at the end of the week. Now if I can only get a timely responce from advantcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

i sent a payment from my aib online banking to avantcard last friday (same details i used to pay mbna). the amount left to spend on my avant card has increased by that amount today but the actual payment is still not showing up...so they've obviously got it but it's not in the transactions yet...hopefully tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I don't have a mbna card anymore, destroyed it over a yr ago. I just make monthly payments now trying to pay off the balance. How am I supposed to register on their site if I don't own a card. They're asking for the last 3 digits of my card.

Can I just keep paying it off through the Aib online banking or do I need to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I don't have a mbna card anymore, destroyed it over a yr ago. I just make monthly payments now trying to pay off the balance. How am I supposed to register on their site if I don't own a card. They're asking for the last 3 digits of my card.

Can I just keep paying it off through the Aib online banking or do I need to register.

I'm in the same situation, they told me I will never be able to register online as I don't have a card, they said I can ring up and pay by phone each month, in the post office or through my own bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you have any old statement pdf s saved on your computer, they have the card number on them, but not the ccv code etc.

Galadriel wrote: »

I'm in the same situation, they told me I will never be able to register online as I don't have a card, they said I can ring up and pay by phone each month, in the post office or through my own bank.

That's fcuking crazy. Do we just use the same details as before to pay? Like what I already have set up on Aib online banking.

I wonder can we get a paper statement each month?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you have any old statement pdf s saved on your computer, they have the card number on them, but not the ccv code etc.

I have the card number form an old statement. I just don't have the card to get the ccv code. That's why we can't register.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's fcuking crazy. Do we just use the same details as before to pay? Like what I already have set up on Aib online banking.

I wonder can we get a paper statement each month?

For about the 8th time on this thread, yes. The details haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 seller567

I've just got through on the phone. Wait time was 4 minutes 10 seconds. Lady asked how long was the wait time and was able to read out all my transactions for the past month. I'm able to log in aswell but the transactions are not there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Stato

Cant get through to Avant helpdesk by phone despite numerous attempts so hopefully some boardsies can help answer my question. Just want to know can I continue to use my existing MBNA issued card which does not expire for a few months until Avant get their act together?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement