Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right Hook and Doctor Ciara Kelly

Options
  • 03-12-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Every time I switch over to George, Doctor Ciara Kelly is on spouting about some crap.

Is she giving George free medical care or something in return for air time?

She must be on 3 days a week now.

Anyone else got a pain in their arse listening to her??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Absolutely,

Her self-righteous, look-at-me, unfunny, motional personality really irks me. Every conversation devolves into some medical issue where ultimately George makes some baseless remark and she corrects him. Bored of it.

I like most other contributors on the show but she makes me turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Absolutely,

Her self-righteous, look-at-me, unfunny, motional personality really irks me. Every conversation devolves into some medical issue where ultimately George makes some baseless remark and she corrects him. Bored of it.

I like most other contributors on the show but she makes me turn off.

It seems if George likes a guest he will ask them to keep coming in. She made a few appearances and is now a permanent fixture. I'd say they thought they needed a bit of gender balance on Friday so they brought her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Don't agree, I don't mind her or see anything wrong with her.But I can think of others on the station I would rather hear nails screeching down a blackboard than listen to them.

There, I have said it, I have gone against the general thrust of a thread on here.......shame on me???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its just so terribly middle class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I posted about this on The Right Hook.... Every conversation that starts about ANY subject always comes around to kid eating sugary drinks... The whole dynamic of the Friday Right Hook is completely changed when either Ciara Kelly or that foghorn Tara Duggan are in studio...

They should either get Coleman and McIntrye in every week or scrap the thing altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like Ciara, sorry.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Ciara is a good communicator , she's on the show because she's been paid to be on it and these medical slots are always going to be boring anyway , you know it's going to be the usual advice and I can think of a lot more preachy/ shouty media doctors than her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I find it usually cringey when shes on with hook and one other fella. She is constantly talked over and ignored.

Otherwise dont mind her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I think she's alright, don't really get the automatic criticism the female presenters get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

longshanks wrote: »
    I think she's alright, don't really get the automatic criticism the female presenters get.

I don't think it's a gender thing really. Hook, Coleman and Mcintyre get their fair share of criticism as well. I find the friday show painful no matter want combination of the 4 of them are on. Coleman is way too cocksure of his own opinions, Kelly & Mcintyre have nothing of any real interest to say and all George wants to do is relate every topic back to himself.

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I don't think it's a gender thing really. Hook, Coleman and Mcintyre get their fair share of criticism as well. I find the friday show painful no matter want combination of the 4 of them are on. Coleman is way too cocksure of his own opinions, Kelly & Mcintyre have nothing of any real interest to say and all George wants to do is relate every topic back to himself.

Don't agree, in fact the Friday show is a bit better than than during the week actually IMO, though you are right about George though TBH.

If I don't hear it live, I usually listen on the podcast.............should I been ashamed?:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

jimmyw wrote: »

If I don't hear it live, I usually listen on the podcast.............should I been ashamed?:o:D

Deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I could listen to Ciara Kelly all day. She speaks a lot of sense and she's got a brain - unlike some of his other Friday afternoon panellists and occasional guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

There is probably a place for her on the show but why did they axe the Technology slot for her? Surely other segments like the helping a small business slot could have been cut. The advice every week there seems to be "you just need a better website".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Montefiore

I like Ciara Kelly on the Friday show. It's an interesting perspective she can bring to things. Hook's Friday show is one of the best things Newstalk do. The man himself can occasionally be insufferable; but it's refreshing to have that alternative viewpoint to the staid RTE radio output at the same hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's so contrived when they're together, they both play to a stereotype.

The old fashioned foggey who doesn't know what he's saying and the super duper modern day working wondergirl Ciara who's say's all the right things.

Oh George etc. :o

It might be better if they got a genuine Conservative like Graham into the mix regularly, instead of reading off a script and backing down on que he'd tell it like it is to Ciara.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

touts wrote: »
    There is probably a place for her on the show but why did they axe the Technology slot for her? Surely other segments like the helping a small business slot could have been cut. The advice every week there seems to be "you just need a better website".

I liked the tech slot, but it was very repetitive (although we may be saying the same thing about the health slot after a few months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

A PR snake on it now as well as Dr Ciara Kelly... they may as well get Marian Finucane in to present it as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I quite like this Dr Ciara Kelly. Just saying.

I despair sometimes with some of the posters on here:rolleyes:

What in the name of blazes do some on here have with this slot? Personally I prefer this to the tech slot.It was just a geek half hour:p.

Its just people want a quick general diagnosis of their medical issues.Whats the problem with that?

Do you all complain to your own doctors when you go in? If you don't like the slot, then go listen to something else, simple as.

You cant please all of the people all of the time:p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I am really getting pi**ed off with george hook and DR Ciara Kelly, she used to be on only one evening a week for half an hour . ithought this was plenty for a medical slot now every time i put on hook shes on and getting more and more annoying. hook is getting her to spout about her personal life now, why do we need this and why has she been allowed to barge her way onto more airtime. We all know that shes just trying to get a tv spot on tre in the long run id say thats her aim. shes become far too smug amd cocky in the last few months

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was hilarious when Yates was winding her up this evening and she lost it and just started roaring at him.

I agreed with Yates on that issue, this PC c**p drives me up the wall.Its no good putting in ANYONE including men for election just to make up the numbers.
    If you feel the candidate is any good, then vote for them irrespectable of what gender they are.

Another one of my pet hates is nepotism, but that's another story :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Was hilarious when Yates was winding her up this evening and she lost it and just started roaring at him.

Brilliant, it's the right attitude to take with her. What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what show was it on, love yates hes a right cnut!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yates was saying it can be difficult for someone in the media if you don't have a liberal viewpoint, he mentioned feminism, then she started ranting about gender quotas, he started countering her saying they were patronising nonsense the longer it went on the louder and more abusive she got.

"We've had gobsh1tes in the Dail for years, all of them exclusively men" he replied "So we should have more gobsh1te women then?"

Also she called Hook a dinosaur, biting the hand that feeds.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

"We've had gobsh1tes in the Dail for years, all of them exclusively men" he replied "So we should have more gobsh1te women then?"

Did she forget Beverley Cooper Flynn?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 The Helpful Engineer

I think she is very good. As a doctor she knows what she is talking about when discussing medical matters.

Many of his other radio guests are journalists who lack a deep understanding of what they are commenting on. E.g. Michael Graham etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Its just so terribly middle class

Do middle class people not listen to the radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

I heard the conversation/disagreement between herself and Yates on Friday...and while I agree with Yates about gender quotas (and I think he is hilarious) it is a complete misrepresentation to say Ciara Kelly lost it with him. They BOTH got a bit wound up and it was good radio.

This thread confirms for me that there is one law for men on the radio and another for women....if Ciara Kelly has a strong opinion about something, she is a strident, harridan, feminist.....if a man has strong opinions (Yates for example) he is a strong man, great craic, humerous, winding everyone up etc. Some of you need to ask yourselves why you are so wound up by a woman with a viewpoint.

So what if she is trying to find a place for herself on the radio...she wouldn't be the first person. I think that she is an intelligent, articulate, sensible , humerous, knowledgeable person, with plenty of life experience ...as is Yates by the way.... She also deals very well with George and much as I love him, he definitely needs to be reined in frequently.

I'd be happy to hear more of her on the radio.

And before someone asks...no, I am not Ciara!

Advertisement