Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but who are those people in the exact centre of that venn diagram (those who are engineers, can do math and is a tosser)

I'm imitating the earlier 'Venn' diagram in which the colours mix when the sets intersect, as long as it's non-empty, the introduction of the green math one was an attempt to highlight that white indicated empty, so the triple intersection is empty, and nobody who can do math is a tosser (or engineer...)
    Padkir wrote: »
    Also, Red Fox must be an engineer, since he can't spell it right...!!:p:p

My MS paint doesn't have a spell check (that I'm aware) of :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

In that case the line should have been upwards sloping. Your graph says the more the tossers the fewer the beatings.
    A straight line slope is not good as you want there to be fewer tossers as a result of the rusty nail plank beatings. Hence, the more beatings there are, the fewer tossers. With fewer beatings, you have more tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but who are those people in the exact centre of that venn diagram (those who are engineers, can do math and is a tosser)

Builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

red_fox wrote: »
    I'm imitating the earlier 'Venn' diagram in which the colours mix when the sets intersect, as long as it's non-empty, the introduction of the green math one was an attempt to highlight that white indicated empty, so the triple intersection is empty, and nobody who can do math is a tosser (or engineer...)

So by your Venn diagram all engineers are tossers who can't do math!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

red_fox's understanding of graphs may be good, but his Venn diagrams are complete BS.

• Advertisement

ZRelation wrote: »
    So by your Venn diagram all engineers are tossers who can't do math!? :eek:

I was imitating the other so called Venn diagram, I'm sure there are tosser engineers who can't do math, but I doubt that any intersection is empty. (I introduced the math to illustrate that white means empty and it fit the original failed Venn diagram)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

red_fox wrote: »
    For those still confused about the graph of Beating vs Tossers, consider if it was the other way:
    152776.jpg

Looking at it myself again, yes, if you think of plank beatings as the dependant variable then that's the right way now. Its all just a matter of perspective (altough convention places the independant variable on the x-axis).

And my impression of the Venn diagram:

152778.jpg
    That Venn conveys a totally different point to the one I made/attempted to make. I was suggesting that 100% of engineers are tossers, therefore the red and blue circles entirely overlapped to make purple, and yes I'm aware that's not how they're meant to work.

That Venn conveys a totally different point to the one I made/attempted to make. I was suggesting that 100% of engineers are tossers, therefore the red and blue circles entirely overlapped to make purple, and yes I'm aware that's not how they're meant to work.

My apologies, my new interpretation is the following:

152846.jpg

So the set of engineers who are not tossers is empty (i.e. all engineers are tossers)*, but there are tossers who are not engineers.

*The comments and diagram in this post do not represent the views of the poster.

Actually going by red_fox's logic both of your diagrams are the same in respect of 100% of engineers being tossers.

BTW your Venn diagram is wrong because you left out circles for engineers who aren't tossers and tossers who arent engineers, which are required even if they are empty.

Anyway enough of me being the maths version of a grammar nazi.

I see, cool.

qQiBV.jpg

• Advertisement

I see, cool.

qQiBV.jpg
    Hmm you went to all the trouble of drawing another graph to show how little of **** you give...I see.

Ok, last of this diagram nonsense from me:

152859.jpg

3609204910_9b1a5dd0e5_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

My God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 piotrish

these last 2 pages have been interesting :rolleyes:

*engineers viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Those Venn Diagrams, just.... Face palm. Looks like it's going to take an engineer to help you slag off engineers.
    To imply that all engineers are tossers, this is the diagram you want
    engtos.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Those Venn Diagrams, just.... Face palm. Looks like it's going to take an engineer to help you slag off engineers.
    To imply that all engineers are tossers, this is the diagram you want
    engtos.jpg

Thank f00k you posted that. It was depressing how wrong everyone was. Though I cant entirely agree, from what ive read here, it seems like everyone else is a tosser, us Engineers are just right!

Thank f00k you posted that. It was depressing how wrong everyone was. Though I cant entirely agree, from what ive read here, it seems like everyone else is a tosser, us Engineers are just right!
    +1
    The level of graph drawing and interpreting in the last few posts is actually worrying considering Venn diagrams are part of the JC pass maths curriculum.:(

ZRelation wrote: »
    +1
    The level of graph drawing and interpreting in the last few posts is actually worrying considering Venn diagrams are part of the JC pass maths curriculum.:(
    It's actually amazing that we've managed to function in society all this time without fully understanding graphs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

the fact the librarians are allowed to talk and laugh as loud as they like and answer their mobile phone when there are signs posted everywhere are reducing noise in the library :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That little b4stard Foxy/Firefox barking like there's no tomorrow.

I normally love the little fella but the runt wouldn't stop barking there when I was trying to do an MCQ exam on Blackboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That little b4stard Foxy/Firefox barking like there's no tomorrow.

I normally love the little fella but the runt wouldn't stop barking there when I was trying to do an MCQ exam on Blackboard
    love the dog but i can see your point. not the best thing to have in the background during a test. he did seem really jittery today for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

musical.x wrote: »
    the fact the librarians are allowed to talk and laugh as loud as they like and answer their mobile phone when there are signs posted everywhere are reducing noise in the library :rolleyes:

+1 to this, especially at the door to that "collections management" place, they actually shout in the door at each other sometimes, melts my head!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

musical.x wrote: »
    love the dog but i can see your point. not the best thing to have in the background during a test. he did seem really jittery today for some reason.

Animals get nervous before an event. Maybe there'll be an earthquake or lava flow caused by excessive digging adjacent to the AM building.

What are those colourful new designs on the walls of the wooden wall along that site anyway? How much did it cost and would it not be better off on a private flight to Austria or something?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Animals get nervous before an event.
    Exams coming up sure

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

snubbleste wrote: »

What are those colourful new designs on the walls of the wooden wall along that site anyway? How much did it cost and would it not be better off on a private flight to Austria or something?

It's amazing how quickly the Uni becomes a hive of colour when there is an open day around the corner. It'll be down again next week prob.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

Why do I have so many people that are young foreign gorgeous females... yet happen to be my language teachers :D It's horrible!

What better way to asses our understanding of 4 different subjects than to give us an essay due in immediately before our exams, then squash all 4 exams into one week.

And no I don't have a better suggestion ¬_¬

If I could afford it, I'd only bother studying for 2 exams (the 2 I want to carry into second year) and leave the other 2 for repeats. As it is though, I'll desperately try and learn all 4 exams, probably fail 3-4 and have to repeat them anyway.

Should have put the effort in since September etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

When people sit in front of a computer in the suites studying, but don't actually use the computer while people are waiting for PC access. Sit somewhere else! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Zoology labs have been f*cking sh*t this past year, in fact the standard of Zoology teaching depresses me so much after getting my friend to have a look at what they're doing in Cork that I'm seriously considering leaving NUIG. They get field trips and everything :eek:. We get labs that could easily be done as a homework exercise :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

The awkward moment when an arts student tries to make a Venn diagram and FAILS

Advertisement