Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How has your life turned out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

dave3004 wrote: »
    My friends nicknamed me "pipedream" when in school.

My dreams are experience/travel related rather than anything with a career etc..

Brother i don't think those friends meant that particular interpretation of the term

Completely different to what I thought.. But way better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Wrong wrong - it's all wrong.
    I keep having children - I never even wanted any!
    All I ever wanted to do was travel the world - and do it properly, mixing with all sorts of cultures etc...
    And I wanted to become a psychologist of some sort, maybe a neuro psychologist.
    I've only managed to do bits of college due to kids, finances, and illness.
    I keep going and doing well, then something messes it up or I get pregnant again!!!
    And so far, I haven't managed to do any traveling whatsoever - and can't imagine a time in the forseeable suture where it will be possible.
    I wanted fun and adventure, I wanted to learn, to see and experience everything that's out there, to live in different places and learn their ways, to find myself, to grow.
    Instead I find myself stuck inside my role of mother and wife, yet at 27, I feel I have completely lost who I am.
    I nolonger have any idea what fun is.
    I nolonger feel pasionate about anything.
    I am not one of those women who is content as a housewife, or even a 9-5 job.
    I long for more, yet have little idea how to attain it.
    Well there's my dear diary entry for today! :)

You can always travel when the kids are grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

It's taken me 27 years and a good dose of cop-the-fuck on to realise that the plans are irrelevant. Inconsequential, most of the time, because you can't possibly contemplate what your future self will want and what twists and turns will happen along the way.

I was a complete daydreamer as a child. I wanted to be a professional tennis player, then I wanted to be a popstar, then I wanted to be a ballerina. Then I wanted to live in the States and write books for a living.

Today I live in Canada and produce a national news programme for a living. I never watched the news as a child or a teenager, and I could barely place Canada on a map.

The twists and turns have been even madder. I lost a sibling to mental illness, then started a lifelong battle with an eating disorder. Friendships that meant the world to me vanished into thin air; friendships with the unlikeliest people have changed my life.

When you're a kid you never imagine the losses, the pain, the traumas. You never imagine you will become your own worst enemy. But in all honesty, taking stock of the relatively few years I've been on this planet, the good stuff would mean nothing without the bad stuff.

Fuck the plans, what actually happens along the way is a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Never really knew what I wanted. By secondary school I knew something with media, be it sound or video etc... got a worthless degree in that and enjoyed it for the most part. Somehow ended up in tech support and inevitably in IT support and honestly I love it.

The only thing that makes me go "hmm" is I just turned 27 and when I was 21 and starting my IT job I thought I'd be able to get a jump and be highly qualified and one of the younger higher uppers but 6 years later and I'm still IT Support, all be it a very experienced IT support person but not any further along than when I started really, and I'm fine with that, I've enjoyed my 20's sp far and wouldn't change much if I could.

I quit that job recently and am now in Oz with the masses but to travel this hemisphere, not emigrate. I went interrailing at 20 on my todd and got the bug and done several backpack type holidays over the years but really wanted to get away properly and strangely it was my little sister who gave me the kick up the arse I needed and I love her so much for it.

I guess my main worry as a young teenager was the fairer sex. Wasn't particularly confident and didn't know how to go about the whole thing yet somehow I look back and have been lucky enough to have been in love a couple of times and been loved in return and that is pretty awesome... also sex is great.

Not sure where I'll be in 2 years now. Hopefully still travelling but who knows. When I do finally settle down I know IT is still a career I will pursue and am good at, if I lack motivation.

All in all, good work, great family and friends and generally happy out. Life is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Always knew i wanted to work with computers. Im still trying to get the dream off the ground but no this is not how i pictured my adult life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm recently over a very long illness. I never realized that I was so unwell! Going back to college into a new course and everything is on the up and up. I'm delighted I have my health and I'm dying to get stuck back into things. I'm approaching mid twenties and no, I'm not where I imagined but I have a ridiculous imagination and a lot of the time I felt like crap when I was younger. I'm far more hopeful a person now than I ever was so being ill has maybe given me a better perspective on things than some people might have.
    I'm very jealous of all the travel some people are doing right now in my age group though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'm 18 at the mo'.

From reading the posts in this thread, I'll be happy in 10 years;

- To have my health
    - To have my friends and family
    - To have a job that I enjoy

...Dreamers can eat yer hearts out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm happy. A nice place to live and a good relationship is enough for me. Became an uncle too, very happy about that. Am in a stable and very easy job that requires almost no thought and I can browse the net all day. Not a huge amount of money in it, but much, much better than being on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

EdenHazard wrote: »
    No, it sucks so much. I've done nothing, I wanted to be a somebody but I've no talent, in anything. And I'm still stuck with people who act like they're 13 or 14 years old. I never wanted to grow up but now I'm just sick of it.
    I just wish I could get away from it all!!!!

What's your sig again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nothing like I planned:

I've made it to 31 when I never expected to get past university.
    I'm a dad.
    I live in Ireland.
    I've never traveled for more than 10 days at a time.

And I *still* haven't figured out what I want to do with my life / discovered a hidden talent I could make a good living at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Sleepy wrote: »
    Nothing like I planned:

I've made it to 31 when I never expected to get past university.
    I'm a dad.
    I live in Ireland.
    I've never traveled for more than 10 days at a time.

And I *still* haven't figured out what I want to do with my life / discovered a hidden talent I could make a good living at.

Well your life is about 40% over so you'd want to figure tha you fairly quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I'm 47 now, and so far, so good. Some big ups & downs along the way but overall things worked out pretty well. I am grateful.

I dont have any fixed plans for the next few years, I need to think about that. I think planning is important, even if plans often do not work out. The act of planing is healthy.

Also I need to quit smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

I am not quite sure if my life has worked out the right way but I am happy none the less.

When I was younger and in school I wanted to be a make up artist so I went and studied beauty therapy but then decided it was not for me.

I fell into finance and now I am stuck here for the last 12 years or so. My dream job now would be in automotive photography. I am only 30 so anything is still possible.

I got onto the property ladder when I was 22 (which looking back now was probably wayyyyy to young for such responsibility)

I also got married at 26 and that didn't work out either :o

I have not travelled the world, only nice holidays but I don't feel like I have missed out, having a job and a mortgage were more important to me then fecking off to Oz for a year. Some people look down on you for not doing the whole year off thing :rolleyes:

I have achieved quite a lot in my life but I am hoping the best is yet to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

net happiness - gross happiness = happiness profit

just typed happiness more in last minute then have had in last few years so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mattjack wrote: »
    Surprised everybody including myself by going to college at 41 years old, none of my friends/workmates believe me when I tell them what I,m studying or where I work part time.
    Shryke wrote: »
    Dafuq? :)

:pac::pac: I really should read what I post before replying....:pac: former workmates from previous employments.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Turned 40 last year so did a lot of this contemplation.....
    Some good some bad basically but I am slowly learning to be grateful for what I have;
    Have lived in 4 countries on 3 continents, seen lots of live music & sport along the way, travelled a lot, met lots of interesting people, married a beautiful woman who frustrates me and drives me mental but as I discovered in the last year, I dearly love & just can't be without.
    I still have ambitions that I would like to achieve, more travel, career development, (I do something that I like occasionally and hate occasionally but it pays well and allows me a standard of living that I enjoy), but above all else I would like to be a dad and hope that it can happen one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

S'alright, I guess.

Nowhere near doing what I want to be doing and I feel the motivation to do so zap as I get older but I know I'll eventually get around to it, someday.

BUT, on the flipside, I have a job I actually enjoy going into and doing, gots money, gots a woman, and gots one stick of Pepperami left at the house :)

I'm easily entertained.

Anyways, I never plan ahead as future-me can never be anticipated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Just having one of those "Think about life moments".

Has your life turned out how you thought it would?

We all had this picture when we were younger of where we would be at X age, whether it be having a family, qualification, good job, financial security, level of fitness, your own home, travelled alot etc.

What were your goals when you were younger and how many have you achieved? What ones do you still plan on achieving and what ones (if any) have you given up on?

How has your life and outlook changed due to unforeseen events? (Economy, illness, unplanned pregnancy etc)

How happy/unhappy are you with life currently and the direction you're going?

I had one goal, to not end up like my mother. She did nothing with her life, got married at 21, had kids and was always bitter about having to give up work when she got married. She scrubbed floors for rich people for a bit of spare cash, which most might find admirable, but it was only so she wouldn't have to push herself to take on any significant responsibility or role.

So I spent my 20s living the life, I was a messer in school and had no inclination towards college, but I did a diploma part time got a decent job and really worked hard to get a really good income. Went on fantastic holidays, was out every night, houseshared with the best of people, all of different nationalities and backgrounds and really made the best out of my job.

It was all with the intention that when I did settle down and have kids I would have no regrets, left nothing out that I wanted to do and broadened and expanded my world as much as I could.

Now, I'm settled, married, two beautiful boys and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Life isn't perfect, a few extra quid would be nice, but yes, I am where I wanted to be and yes most things have worked out the way I wanted. Anything that hasn't worked out the way I wanted has worked out for the best.

Im this close to going mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I'd say my life is fairly close to what I had in mind - in terms of family, professional life, education, etc.

I'd like a more secure job and some more time to get in a bit more exercise and enjoy the great outdoors.

Other than that, I can't complain. I've been very lucky/blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Wrong wrong - it's all wrong.
    I keep having children - I never even wanted any!
    All I ever wanted to do was travel the world - and do it properly, mixing with all sorts of cultures etc...
    And I wanted to become a psychologist of some sort, maybe a neuro psychologist.
    I've only managed to do bits of college due to kids, finances, and illness.
    I keep going and doing well, then something messes it up or I get pregnant again!!!
    And so far, I haven't managed to do any traveling whatsoever - and can't imagine a time in the forseeable suture where it will be possible.
    I wanted fun and adventure, I wanted to learn, to see and experience everything that's out there, to live in different places and learn their ways, to find myself, to grow.
    Instead I find myself stuck inside my role of mother and wife, yet at 27, I feel I have completely lost who I am.
    I nolonger have any idea what fun is.
    I nolonger feel pasionate about anything.
    I am not one of those women who is content as a housewife, or even a 9-5 job.
    I long for more, yet have little idea how to attain it.
    Well there's my dear diary entry for today! :)

Remember the most important thing is to keep the head up.;)

The forseeable future can come a lot quicker than you expect. When kids are young its very easy to think that this will be your lot forever but they grow up very quick.
    Hold onto to your dreams and thoughts and passions. Most of them are attainable if you stay focused, albeit at an older age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I'm 24, my best moments are all ahead of me. I've got more balls than i give myself credit for, i've acheived alot already. I'm not special but i'm at the stage now where i'm saying - "Cut yourself some slack, your doing pretty alright, son!"
    I'm 40 tomorrow. I can can tell you now that at 24 your best moments are behind you I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I'm 40 tomorrow. I can can tell you now that at 24 your best moments are behind you I'm afraid.

Please don't believe this. What a depressing thought.
    I've seen a couple of 24's in my life and good times and brilliant times come at every stage of life. Obviously plenty bad times as well but that's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I don't think I had any real ambitions growing up. My self-belief in my own abilities wasn't the best back in the day and didn't think I could achieve much. I've been my own worst enemy growing up and over the past number years I've been trying to muster up a bit of self-belief and trying to drown out the voice telling me I can't do it. I know I could achieve a lot more if I believed I could but I'm actively working on that.

Saying all that, I've had a charmed life really. Travelled, got my degree (never thought I was the college type but managed it somehow), lived in a few different countries, have always had good friends who've never fooked me over and although I've been in many relationships, they've all been great in their own way, even if they didn't work out in the end. Only one looney but that didn't last for long.

I couldn't ask for a better family and I don't wake up in the morning with a feeling of dread at the idea of going to work. I'm broke but I always have been so it's no skin off my nose at this stage. I budget well. I'm in a relationship with a good man who respects me completely and who I can be myself around all the itme. I've my own (rented) place in the centre of a beautiful city and I have my health.

I've realised that comparing yourself to others is a receipe for disaster, it really, really is. I try my best to set my own standards for myself now and try to do what makes me happy. My own happiness is my main priority for myself now.

I've dreams of owning my own bookshop/coffee shop someday and I'm confident that will happen down the line, even if it takes 20 years. I think I'd be good at it as I've had maybe 40 jobs in total and know the service industry inside out. I'd know how to make it work, I think and I think I'd be a good boss.

I suppose as I had no expectations of how my life would turn out because I never expected much for myself, things have worked out much better than I could've ever dreamed and that's deadly. Have to keep reminding myself of that when I start the auld comparison thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Well only just yesterday I bought a box of tea bags, after counting I discovered there was 82 bags in the box as opposed to 80...so my life has turned out pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not bad. Don't want to get too involved in a career as I'm still holding out for Fergie to send a scout over to watch me play 5-a-side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dunno, I never really had any "plans" or "notions" when I was younger about where I wanted to be/what I wanted to do etc
    I suppose certain things happened that shaped where I wanted to be, what I wanted to do, and who I wanted to be with, and these evolved over time, probably starting when I went to college etc...

Right now, I am delighted at where I am at. Married, young child, settled at work, settled in life, seen a lot of the world, not that pushed to see any more of it. A new chapter has begun now with the little one. All that are close to me are relatively healthy, which is more important than anything else to be honest.

Still a long way to go hopefully, and no doubt tough times will hit now and again but I am happy with my lot.

Ultimately, people need to realise that sometimes things dont work out for a reason and having your health is far more important than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

When I was little I always said that "when I grow up I want to be a fire engine".

As I reflect on this statement, I now feel as if my dreams are unfulfilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I think that the day I say to myself 'I'm here, I'm where I've always wanted to be' will be my saddest day.
    I'm always looking forward and chasing my next goal.
    Cool story bro?

Advertisement