Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So my Mom is looking for a bargain on a laptop for under €500?

• 03-03-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭

My mother is looking for a new laptop and so far she has been checking out deals in Argos and PC World.

I told her I would ask here on boards about whichever ones she's thinking about so the community can advise us.

She only really needs it for light internet use, office use, and whatever else little old ladies use computers for. That said, the salesman in PC World did mention a Samsung that would allow her to connect it to her television to watch movies and use the big screen as a monitor, although he stressed this was not a feature of all laptops. This option would be great.

She would like to spend under €500 but anything closer to €400 if possible would of course be better. A minimum of 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM would suit, and the Intel Core i3 is the best for the money with laptops at the moment, yes? I'm not sure about the different models of the i3.

Argos have http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=5086445&authToken=

And PC world have an i3 Samsung on special at the moment down from €679 to €499 visible on their homepage http://www.pcworld.ie/aspx/homepage.aspx but when you click on no information about the specs is given.

Can you recommend a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

dusf wrote: »
    My mother is looking for a new laptop and so far she has been checking out deals in Argos and PC World.

I told her I would ask here on boards about whichever ones she's thinking about so the community can advise us.

She only really needs it for light internet use, office use, and whatever else little old ladies use computers for. That said, the salesman in PC World did mention a Samsung that would allow her to connect it to her television to watch movies and use the big screen as a monitor, although he stressed this was not a feature of all laptops. This option would be great.

She would like to spend under €500 but anything closer to €400 if possible would of course be better. A minimum of 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM would suit, and the Intel Core i3 is the best for the money with laptops at the moment, yes? I'm not sure about the different models of the i3.

Argos have http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=5086445&authToken=

And PC world have an i3 Samsung on special at the moment down from €679 to €499 visible on their homepage http://www.pcworld.ie/aspx/homepage.aspx but when you click on no information about the specs is given.

Can you recommend a better option?

That "feature" is called a HDMI port, which is available in MOST of today's laptops, so that salesman? Baddie. Tell him to gtfo, kthx. You won't have to worry about that, just check if it has a HDMI port. They tend to usually oversell for more then what it's worth, well, I suppose it's their job. If a computer has a HDMI port, you're grand enough to use it with your TV, granted it has one too. I don't know of any LCD/LED/Plasma tvs that don't have at least one.

I won't be able to give specific reccomendations, but you do have an idea of what you want. I'd reccomend popping through Harvey Norman because, it could be just me, but they usually have a better line of laptops. That's merely from experience, but at the same time, perhaps PC World might be better for lower ended laptops. Nevertheless, give Harvey Norman a go, or, try getting it online. You would be able to net pretty decent deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭runswithascript

That "feature" is called a HDMI port, which is available in MOST of today's laptops, so that salesman? Baddie. Tell him to gtfo, kthx. You won't have to worry about that, just check if it has a HDMI port. They tend to usually oversell for more then what it's worth, well, I suppose it's their job. If a computer has a HDMI port, you're grand enough to use it with your TV, granted it has one too. I don't know of any LCD/LED/Plasma tvs that don't have at least one.

Thanks for that, he mentioned some other laptops only able to display video but not sound. HDMI does both right? Maybe some of the other laptops just had a VGA out or is that technology too old to be around on a laptop?

Well, perhaps he was referring to the VGA-only based laptops.
    HDMI, as far as I know, provides both sound and video.

Your assumption is correct; VGA is now a rarely seen port on current laptops. It's not hard to miss either. Just give the laptop a looksie. If it has a HDMI port, the laptop is capable of working through the TV, plain and simple :)

Well, perhaps he was referring to the VGA-only based laptops.
    HDMI, as far as I know, provides both sound and video.

Your assumption is correct; VGA is now a rarely seen port on current laptops. It's not hard to miss either. Just give the laptop a looksie. If it has a HDMI port, the laptop is capable of working through the TV, plain and simple :)

Nice!

And what are your thoughts on the processor? Intel Core i3 the way to go? Any specific model to aim for or avoid?

For basic use and within that price range? An i3 would suffice.
    Most likely, she's not too concerned about speed, and within that price range? You'd get more bang for buck as compared to going for ones with an i5 in 'em.
    Quick backdrop: i3; dual core. i5, quad core.

As for models/brands, that's rather... Difficult, since there would be users that say one's good, and another saying it's bad.

I'd say, since it's not gonna be a power user getting the laptop, get the most prettyful one you see without sacrificing power. As I've said, you've got the general type of laptop your mom would take advantage of in mind. Now find a pretty face to go with it :3

• Advertisement

For basic use and within that price range? An i3 would suffice.

Most likely, she's not too concerned about speed, and within that price range?

Yes but it will help me determine how good a deal we're getting depending on which i3 it is - I will check wikipedia!

Good to know!
    As for models/brands, that's rather... Difficult, since there would be users that say one's good, and another saying it's bad.
    I meant more model of the Intel Core i3, assuming Intel Core i3 is the brand and series to go with!
    As I've said, you've got the general type of laptop your mom would take advantage of in mind. Now find a pretty face to go with it :3

hmmmm?

Yes but it will help me determine how good a deal we're getting depending on which i3 it is - I will check wikipedia!

Wikipedia won't be much of a good resource for that. If you're thinking on a comprehensive list on the types of i3's you'll be getting with benchmarks and stuff? Try this link. The thing you're looking for is on your top left as soon as the page loads. It also provides comprehensive enough comparisons on other laptops.
    There's a certain threshold where trying to get the fastest processor for your money would be a tad bit redundant. Getting any i3 with a speed higher than 2.2 or 2.3 ghz would be more than sufficient. Or, if you could get an i5 at a similar price without sacrificing too much in other areas, I'd say get that instead.
    I meant more model of the Intel Core i3, assuming Intel Core i3 is the brand and series to go with!
    I'm not sure I comprehend that bit. If you're asking for different model types of processors and it being good or bad, I'm not sure how to answer that. The processors are produced by Intel at varying cores and speeds, hence the ix differentiating the tier of performance each processor offers. So as regards to quality and thingies to avoid? Not really much, since it's all manufactured under the same company, only difference is it's speeds.
    If you're reffering to laptops containing the processors on the other hand, that's my response. Otherwise, perhaps a little more clarity to that question? :)
    hmmmm?
    Apologies, it was my way of telling you that you're moving in the right direction in terms of choosing a laptop for le mother, so a rather aesthetically inclined laptop might make her that tad bit happier with it :3

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

How about something like this Lenovo E525 for €330:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/ieweb/LenovoPortal/en_IE/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=1441A668C0DDCB8E94985DA650F27F6F&action=init

I have a Lenovo and can't fault the build quality. If it's only going to be office use/internet browsing/knitting research the AMD processor will be perfectly fine. This one is comparable to the i3.

It has a HDMI and VGA port!

and you can add some extras which are cheap enough. If you add 4GB RAM for €25, 720p webcam for €12, better 9 cell battery for €30, fingerprint reader for €5 it would bring the price to ~ €440. Actually thinking of going for it myself now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

seklly wrote: »
    the AMD processor will be perfectly fine. This one is comparable to the i3

You can compare them alright, but the result isn't exactly a favourable one for the AMD ;)

Intel Core i3 370M @ 2.40GHz (as featured in the HP at Argos): 2,248

AMD E2-3000M APU (as featured in the Lenovo): 1,499

Source: PassMark CPU Benchmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Not in the Laptops.

Only real difference in i3 and i5 is Turbo.

One of these OP, if it has to be from a shop.
    Acer
    Sammy

They have the newer sandybridge i3s, you can tell by the four digits after the i3, they are quicker and have better graphics than the i3 you linked.

Or this Tosh from Komplett, only 2usbs and 320GB HDD but the i5 will keep it relevant for years.

• Advertisement

Not in the Laptops.

One of these OP, if it has to be from a shop.
    Acer
    Sammy

They have the newer sandybridge i3s, you can tell by the four digits after the i3, they are quicker and have better graphics than the i3 you linked.

Or this Tosh from Komplett, only 2usbs and 320GB HDD but the i5 will keep it relevant for years.

Yes, but don't forget that the i3 has hyper threading while the i5 does not. Then again, I'm not too sure if that applies to laptops. Casual users would most likely benefit more from hyper threading as compared to Turbo Boost, plus, usually the heat generated from turbo boost makes using it rather unpleasant sometimes.

In regards to the thinkpad, those are wonderful machines. With those specs, I'd agree with the other users regarding it's lack in processing power. But how powerful of a processor would she actually need or take advantage of?
    The thinkpad, with it's upgrades and rather low pricing, is a good candidate for that.

And if it isn't too urgent, I'd say wait until Ivy Bridge processors are out, which is around... April-ish or May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

it all comes down to what she is looking for in a laptop ?

just checking Emails surfing the web.. light Document typing i would go for a Netbook,

if she wants to store pics videos download stuff Acer laptop would be the right path..

Netbooks arent great for download torrents i just use my one for surfing the web but the only problem is the keys are way to close to one another..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Keith186

Id say she wouldnt go wrong with a Dell Inspiron. Check out a few reviews & see what you think.?
    Should be within budget, make sure yiu use vouchers. Google for dell discount vouchers. Use fatcheese for money back to make it cheaper again in the long run.

Yes, but don't forget that the i3 has hyper threading while the i5 does not. Then again, I'm not too sure if that applies to laptops. Casual users would most likely benefit more from hyper threading as compared to Turbo Boost, plus, usually the heat generated from turbo boost makes using it rather unpleasant sometimes.

In regards to the thinkpad, those are wonderful machines. With those specs, I'd agree with the other users regarding it's lack in processing power. But how powerful of a processor would she actually need or take advantage of?
    The thinkpad, with it's upgrades and rather low pricing, is a good candidate for that.

And if it isn't too urgent, I'd say wait until Ivy Bridge processors are out, which is around... April-ish or May.
    i5 do.

I wouldn't go below a B950 myself, but if it's just abit of internet exploration, emails that she'll be at then less would do.

Apologies, looks like that only applies to desktop processors. Was unable to verify that on laptops since being on le iPhone = pain :L

Apologies, looks like that only applies to desktop processors. Was unable to verify that on laptops since being on le iPhone = pain :L
    9800789.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Dell Inspiron i5. Comes with 2nd gen core i5, 4gig ram and a 640 gig hard drive.

hard to beat that for value for money and it has a hdmi port

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056568471

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Lenovo are a way better than dells. Lenovo thinkpads are licenced by IBM. Excellent support as well. No 1 laptops IMO. Toshiba second. Dells are very hit and miss from my bad experience

Hello all,

Thank you for all the informative replies!
    James. wrote: »
    Dell Inspiron i5. Comes with 2nd gen core i5, 4gig ram and a 640 gig hard drive. Its 549e but if you use a 10% discount code it comes to around 494e.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/popular-laptop-deals.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Discount code is 8LRVZ880D525CP.

free shipping

found that link in this thread with thanks to joni23 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564819

I still have to have another look over them all this afternoon to make sure but I think the Dell i5 James linked is the winner on value for money so far, once my Mom agrees of course. I just wish Dell did theft insurance as well as accidental damage like PC World. Maybe it could be gotten for a good price from a third party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

dusf,

if you do decide on the dell try going through fatchesse, TheDriver posted about it on the other thread and you could save another 3 % bringing the cost down to 479 euro - a real bargain for an i5 laptop

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/dell-ie/

• Advertisement

James. wrote: »
    dusf,

if you do decide on the dell try going through fatchesse, TheDriver posted about it on the other thread and you could save another 3 % bringing the cost down to 479 euro - a real bargain for an i5 laptop

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/dell-ie/
    Not in the Laptops.

Yes, but don't forget that the i3 has hyper threading while the i5 does not. Then again, I'm not too sure if that applies to laptops.

We're a bit confused on whether or not the i5 is worth getting over the i3 in a laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

dusf wrote: »
    We're a bit confused on whether or not the i5 is worth getting over the i3 in a laptop?

Not at any cost, also make sure it's a 2nd Gen Core iX (four digits after the hyphen) and not some older model in a stock clearance sale (which of course can be bargains too).

g8tbU.jpg

Advertisement