Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Background check for new male friend

• 06-09-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17 pookie1234

Just wondering how a male would react if they found out that a background check had been completed on them by a female whom they had asked out.

Would they be insulted? or would they assume that the female in question was just being cautious?

Appreciate any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What kinda background check?

Asking your mates? yup, thats grand.

Hiring a private detective? Bit strange alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd think it was weird. If you / someone felt they had to do that, it doesn't say much when it comes to trust either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's a bit OTT in fairness. He asked her out, it's not as if he's applying for a job to be her boyfriend :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you're talking about a quick facebook check or asked someone if they knew him, that'd be grand but anything that takes effort is a bit much.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Lincoln Plain Camper

What exactly do you mean by a background check?

I guess a lot of people get information about people they are starting to date from various sources - Facebook, common friends.

It's when a person goes to great lengths to check up on someone is when things get a little weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Asking mates or checking your facebook etc is cool. But if she went to the bother of putting massive effort, i'd still go on the date, then in the middle of dinner jump on the floor and start having a massive fit.

This is sure to embarrass her. Then get up, smile and say "didn't say that in your bloody report". Walk out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

If you wanna know what brand of toilet roll I have at my house, all you have to do is ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

pookie1234 wrote: »
    Just wondering how a male would react if they found out that a background check had been completed on them by a female whom they had asked out.

Would they be insulted? or would they assume that the female in question was just being cautious?

Id ask do wanna do a spinal tap on me to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Did he look like Larry Murphy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

get shot of that one IMO. you're not starting the relationship on an equal footing, she knows more about you then she should, and will she always be checking up on you if it develops into a proper relationship?

• Advertisement

• If I discovered someone had done a background check on me, I'd just walk away from them. Only if it wasn't done by asking friends/checking Facebook I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I thought the only ones who could carry out background checks are members of AGS and then only with good reason. I understand that any member doing it just for a good ol nose around would be in the sh1t if found out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Depends on where she met you. If she met you in some kind of social context (e.g. in a pub, through friends) where there are people connected to both of you around, then it would be a bit OTT to go checking your criminal record; she can learn quite a lot by observing you with others and chatting to friends.

But when people meet in situations where there is absolutely no social context around them (e.g. online), everyone can be whatever they want to be: a married guy can "become" single, a certifiable psycho can be a charmer, a convincted criminal can be pure as driven snow. There is rarely anything substantial to go on except for what they are saying - so not much, really.

Maybe the girl has been burnt in the past by trusting someone she shouldn't have, OP? Or she simply has some trust issues that don't bode well. If you like her, give it a bit of time to find out which it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pookie1234

My friend has tried all the usual routes, Facebook, asking others etc but this guy is one of the boys in blue and anyone my friend has asked has been tight lipped about any info. Plus he's not from her local area, he transferred from another area.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Nothing wrong with doing abit of research as others have said but if your not getting any success with that, you'd have to hire a private detective.

Which is way OTT in my opinion. I'd run a mile if she went that far to check up on me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'd personally run a mile from anyone woman that goes beyond the asking friends etc.

If she even says to me I am going to check you up first before going out with you then its a fúck off and get over yourself!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wouldn't have a problem if a women did some kind of casual backround check. Ask mates, facebook, search my name on google.

On the other hand if she hired a PI or something crazy I wouldn't feel comfortable going out with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I'm surprised by how many people think a bit of facebook snooping is ok. I'd find that a bit freaky too tbh. Asking fiends - maybe ok, facebook is a bit weird, anything further = Psycho killer....qu'est-ce que c'est...run run run run run run run away

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others have said, asking around, etc, fine.

Anything more than that and you have a bit of a loony on your hands. Most likely she will be excessively cautious and nervous about absolutely everything and therefore probably not a whole pile of fun and constantly jealous and needy.

Run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Facebook or "Hey do you know MitchKoobski?" is fine.

Anything beyond that is getting weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

My friend has tried all the usual routes, Facebook, asking others etc but this guy is one of the boys in blue and anyone my friend has asked has been tight lipped about any info. Plus he's not from her local area, he transferred from another area.

sorry OP, but is your 'friend' as dumb as a bag of hair?

do you actually think it could be a clever idea to start rooting around into the background of a policeman who's friends are tight-lipped?

A) he's a policeman - what does your 'friend' expect to find? a rape conviction?

B) perhaps his friends are tight lipped for a reason - is it possible for instance that he's from the Special Branch or the ERU, and that having some moron start asking personal questions about him is likely to see that moron having an uncomfortable interview under Section 9 (1) of the Offences Against the State Act 1939 or Section 8 (1) of the Offences Against the State (Amendment) Act 1998.

your idiot 'friend' may think she's being harmless, and she may be - she is without doubt though, as thick as a Whale omlette for not considering the possible implications of her actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

OS119 wrote: »
    sorry OP, but is your 'friend' as dumb as a bag of hair?

do you actually think it could be a clever idea to start rooting around into the background of a policeman who's friends are tight-lipped?

A) he's a policeman - what does your 'friend' expect to find? a rape conviction?

B) perhaps his friends are tight lipped for a reason - is it possible for instance that he's from the Special Branch or the ERU, and that having some moron start asking personal questions about him is likely to see that moron having an uncomfortable interview under Section 9 (1) of the Offences Against the State Act 1939 or Section 8 (1) of the Offences Against the State (Amendment) Act 1998.

your idiot 'friend' may think she's being harmless, and she may be - she is withot doubt though, as thick as whale omlette for not considering the possible implications of her actions.
    Bit harsh?

I personally wouldn't necessarily run a mile. The lack of trust I can understand, at the end of the day they don't know me. I wouldn't be too happy about it and I wouldn't do it myself but if it's just the once off at the start and then the trust issue can start from there then I'd probably get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The asking around of friends I can understand, but to be honest the fact that they are tight-lipped, (when being asked about his personality I presume) would tell me more. If someone asked me what I thought of a person I disliked, I wouldn't be too forthcoming with bad stories, but I wouldn't be heaping praise on him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Missed the post about it being a Garda. That's a game changer.

Gardai are typically restrictive with their information - remember that if you were able to find this information, then Anto Scrotebag who saw him in court could equally find this information.

You'll find that many Gardai typical don't wear anything identifying - wedding rings, tattoos, etc etc. They want to appear as anonymous as possible to the scum on the street, because their friends and family could become targets for a disgruntled scrote.

Their friends too will be typically tight-lipped because no matter who you are, they have no idea if you're on some drug dealer's payroll and are skulking around trying to get information on him.

I would tell your friend to forget about trying to search out the guy's background. If she tries too hard, it will get back to her new boyfriend who will just drop her for messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Bit harsh?

not really.

if she doesn't understand why a Gardai isn't wildy forthcoming with personal information to someone they've just met, or why that Gardai's friends act in the same way, then i'd question whether she should be allowed near sharp objects, roads, or shoelaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If I was this guy & I found out she was asking questions, I'd get a couple of plain clothes Garda mates to turn over her house, pick her up & bring her in for questioning for six hours, mention "prevention of terrorism", "Official Secrets" etc, then when she was just broken down, waltz into the room with a bunch of red roses. That's impress her. Somebody would be gettin some that night... Oh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Garda or not.

It's still pretty weird to get a P.I. to do a background check on someone you're interested in a relationship in.

I've known girls to check me out on FB and talk to me friends, and that's all fine and good. But I'd run like hell if they wanted a P.I. to dig everything up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Last time I got a background check on a girl by a private investigator he ended up falling in love with her and told me lies about her so he could try sly it in with her.

Needless to say I didnt trust a 3rd parties opinion and competed for her love against a crippled pizza boy, a stud football player & my psyco best mate.

Made an interesting story if I do say so myself, they should make a movie out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'm going to be honest and say if i found out some girl liked me and had a background check done by a PI i would assume she had some kind of serious trust issue that i would never be able to surmount...so i would have no interest in her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Garda or not.

It's still pretty weird to get a P.I. to do a background check on someone you're interested in a relationship in.

I've known girls to check me out on FB and talk to me friends, and that's all fine and good. But I'd run like hell if they wanted a P.I. to dig everything up on me.

Yep, and I also wouldn't trust anyone but myself as a judge of character for someone I might want to get into a relationship with.

Advertisement