Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samoyed Huskie

• 27-01-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I recently got a samoyed huskie he is nearly 4 months old and he is gorgeous, full of beans all the time, I know that these dogs can not have any milk at all so he is on a special diet, We have an acre and a half of land fenced in so he loads of space to run around and we have 2 other dogs for company aswell, the only problem I am having is that he want come to you when he is called so I'm afraid to let him off the lead outside of home, anybody got any other advice or tips as what to do????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Start small in your back garden, get a long lead and call him. Give him a treat when he comes, something he really loves as you have to make yourself the better option than running off. Then progress to a long rope on your acre and 1/2 and do the same. Then progress to unenclosed spaces preferably with a few distractions, still with the rope until you're happy that he'll come back no matter what

Some dogs will never have good recall no matter how much you train them so if you're not happy about letting him off then don't let him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd go back to basics if I were you, and re-train 'come' in the house and garden before moving up to fenced in fields. It might be worthwhile to get a trainer in to help.

Unfortunately there are some breeds of dogs (hounds and huskies are ones I've heard mentioned most) that just can't be trusted off lead ever. I don't let one of my pair off without a 10 meter line trailing behind her because she just can't be trusted to come back if there's another dog, or a bird, or an interesting smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

tanx i'll try that, the other 2 dogs are brillaint off the lead and i thought he would pick it up from them aswell, is there anything in particular i should look out for with this breed as i don't know anybody who has ever had this type of dog

lisar201 wrote: »
    tanx i'll try that, the other 2 dogs are brillaint off the lead and i thought he would pick it up from them aswell, is there anything in particular i should look out for with this breed as i don't know anybody who has ever had this type of dog
    If you ignore all the Caesar Milan propaganda on in www.dogbreedinfo.com is a pretty good reference site. There are definitely Sammy breed clubs around who'd be able to give you more info too.

kylith wrote: »
    If you ignore all the Caesar Milan propaganda on in www.dogbreedinfo.com is a pretty good reference site. There are definitely Sammy breed clubs around who'd be able to give you more info too.
    cheers tanx for tat i'll hav a luk now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Siberian Huskies are one of the breeds that can NEVER be let off the leash, not unless you want to spend weeks putting 'missing' posters up, or want to find your dog under a car.

You should really have done research on the breed in advance of getting your pup, I have one but spent a year researching them before I got her.

You need your fencing to be at least 6foot high, as your dog will be able to jump anything shorter when it is fully grown. Huskies love to dig too, so the fence should be very secure on the bottom, and they are escape artists, if theres any little hole or way out your husky will find his way out!!

No matter how much training you do with your dog, please never let him off the leash!!! Invest in the longest stretchy lead you can find, as thats probably the best compromise!!!

Siberian Huskies are one of the breeds that can NEVER be let off the leash, not unless you want to spend weeks putting 'missing' posters up, or want to find your dog under a car.

You should really have done research on the breed in advance of getting your pup, I have one but spent a year researching them before I got her.

You need your fencing to be at least 6foot high, as your dog will be able to jump anything shorter when it is fully grown. Huskies love to dig too, so the fence should be very secure on the bottom, and they are escape artists, if theres any little hole or way out your husky will find his way out!!

No matter how much training you do with your dog, please never let him off the leash!!! Invest in the longest stretchy lead you can find, as thats probably the best compromise!!!

He is actually a rescue dog and that why i took him it was either me taking him or him going to the pound,I am very experiend in dog handling as I come from a family of big dog breeders,Samoyed huskie have only become popluar in the last few yrs and i don't know anybody with any so thats why i was asking for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No such thing as a Samoyed Huskie.

There are Samoyeds,and there are Siberian Huskies.

Got any pics of your dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Perhaps you should have read the original post & title ;) The OP has referred to a Samoyed Huskie not a Siberian Husky.

The Samoyed and Sibe are very different dogs, and what applies to one can be very different to the other. The information you've posted about Sibe's is indeed true, but the same information would not apply to a Samoyed.

OP which breed do you actually have?

We go walking every weekend with a Samoyed (and during the week too) and he's nearly always let off the lead for a good run. We've not gone to a location and left without him yet :D He also doesn't have the same prey drive that a Sibe has, so he run's happily with other dogs both large and small.

You wouldn't see a Sibe doing this ...
    moanbaun25.jpg

And another time we had 2 Samoyeds happy to investigate and run along with a Papillon, Labrador puppy and Golden Retriever
    xmas10.jpg

And boomerang - plenty of people refer to them as Samoyed Huskies - even breeders ;) Though yes, typically they are referred to as just Samoyeds. :)

That's a new one on me. Never once have I heard them referred to as Samoyed Huskies. But I've heard people mistaking them for Huskies alright. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Google Samoyed Husky or Samoyed Huskie - silly amount of results come up referring to them as just that. ;)

Yeah, but the results that come up are nearly all classified ads and probably backyard breeders and puppyfarm dealers! :confused: Sure don't lots of people refer to the Rough Collie as a "Lassie Collie." Doesn't mean it's the correct name for them, it's just common parlance. :D

Fair point on the Lassie Collie, really can't argue with you there :D

At this stage I think the OP needs to return to their thread and clarify just what type of dog they've rescued. Otherwise this thread could just run around in circles.

the type of dog i have rescued a pure bred white samoyed or samoyed huskie as sum ppl like to refer to them,I am quite confused as sum ppl refer to them as a samoyed and others refer to them as samoyed huskies which is the correct term??

Does any body know where i would get one of the electric collars for dogs to keep them in the boundries of your land?and how much they are? the bugger tried to get through the hedge yesterday to play with the sheep in the field next to us!! I want to make sure he he dosen't suceed and knock the habit out of him while he's young!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Lisa those electric shock collars are very cruel! Especially when they are put up wrong.

My aunt got one for her dog and put it up arseways and the poor thing got a shock coming in the back door to the house - and he yelped!
    You sound like you live in the country side? have you ever touched an electric fence? (I have many times.. I had cruel brothers who made me the " is the electric fence on" tester :D when we used to go on adventures as kids)
    Well it hurts! And having that around you neck a quite sensitive area to pain would hurt alot more!

As far as I know they range anything from 100 euro +.

I also have a Samoyed (In fact the one in pic that topdog posted is mine :) )
    I have a large pen (cost about 300 euro) for him for when I'm not home as we have a large garden which is not enclosed. Considering he's only in there at night sleeping or a few hours during the day as I go out he's fine.
    When I'm home he gets his walk and he only goes out into the garden supervised.
    From a young age he has been supervised in the garden so he knows his boundaries now and I can watch him from the window or leave him for 10 mins or so and when I check he's usually after finding a stick & is happily chewing it or chasing a bird around the garden.

When i'm on walks particularly in the countryside more than not he is off lead so he is learning recall. He has good and bad days but if he's not let off he'l never learn. He has even come back in the past from seeing a horse and wanting to go play with it so he's getting there! Every time he comes back to me he gets a treat and this is working. I think recall takes a bit longer with some breeds and Samoyed is certainly one of them but with patience and perseverance we will get there :)

Best of luck! :)

jen_23 wrote: »
    Lisa those electric shock collars are very cruel! Especially when they are put up wrong.

My aunt got one for her dog and put it up arseways and the poor thing got a shock coming in the back door to the house - and he yelped!
    You sound like you live in the country side? have you ever touched an electric fence? (I have many times.. I had cruel brothers who made me the " is the electric fence on" tester :D when we used to go on adventures as kids)
    Well it hurts! And having that around you neck a quite sensitive area to pain would hurt alot more!

As far as I know they range anything from 100 euro +.

I also have a Samoyed (In fact the one in pic that topdog posted is mine :) )
    I have a large pen (cost about 300 euro) for him for when I'm not home as we have a large garden which is not enclosed. Considering he's only in there at night sleeping or a few hours during the day as I go out he's fine.
    When I'm home he gets his walk and he only goes out into the garden supervised.
    From a young age he has been supervised in the garden so he knows his boundaries now and I can watch him from the window or leave him for 10 mins or so and when I check he's usually after finding a stick & is happily chewing it or chasing a bird around the garden.

When i'm on walks particularly in the countryside more than not he is off lead so he is learning recall. He has good and bad days but if he's not let off he'l never learn. He has even come back in the past from seeing a horse and wanting to go play with it so he's getting there! Every time he comes back to me he gets a treat and this is working. I think recall takes a bit longer with some breeds and Samoyed is certainly one of them but with patience and perseverance we will get there :)

Best of luck! :)

He is not allowed out if there is nobody watching him the problem is he is doing this during the day when we are there and if he gets into the sheep again the farmer has threatened to shoot him. I wanted to get one of the electric collars and put it round the whole boundry of our land to keep him in it's either that or live with the risk of him beeing shot,The collar would only be put on him when he is outside and taken off when he is inside or going for walks,What other options would you recommend??

He is not allowed out if there is nobody watching him the problem is he is doing this during the day when we are there and if he gets into the sheep again the farmer has threatened to shoot him. I wanted to get one of the electric collars and put it round the whole boundry of our land to keep him in it's either that or live with the risk of him beeing shot,The collar would only be put on him when he is outside and taken off when he is inside or going for walks,What other options would you recommend??
    To be honest Lisa (I hate electric fences & collars but can concede that sometimes they're a necessary evil) I don't think an electric shock collar would have much effect at all on a Samoyed. They've a seriously thick coat so that would offer quite a bit of insulation to the shock generated pretty much rendering it a useless expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I recently got a samoyed huskie he is nearly 4 months old and he is gorgeous, full of beans all the time, I know that these dogs can not have any milk at all so he is on a special diet, We have an acre and a half of land fenced in so he loads of space to run around and we have 2 other dogs for company aswell, the only problem I am having is that he want come to you when he is called so I'm afraid to let him off the lead outside of home, anybody got any other advice or tips as what to do????

In the first post you put up, you say your land is fenced in, how is he getting out? Would agree that electric collars tend not to work on northern breeds because of the thickness of their coats and also their stubborness. I would recommend strengthening the fence, or building a pen.

ISDW wrote: »
    In the first post you put up, you say your land is fenced in, how is he getting out? Would agree that electric collars tend not to work on northern breeds because of the thickness of their coats and also their stubborness. I would recommend strengthening the fence, or building a pen.

the land is all fenced in but there is a part or two that is sealed off by sum hedges, but due to the time of yr there is no leaves on the hedge it is mainly just branches and he squeezes through the branches!

I'd more likely invest in a decent palisade fence rather than an electric one. As others have said they may not effect a Sammy because of the thickness of the coat. They're also notorious for not stopping an excited dog from getting out, but stopping them from getting back in when they try to come home. I've heard tales too of dogs lying just inside the e-fence range (many of them give a warning buzz to alert the dog that it's about to get shocked) until the battery runs down in the collar, thus rendering the e-fence useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dogsR4life

I have a samoyed pup too. Its 3 months old and I have had her one month. Since the first week I got her I have been training her off the lead with my other pup. 7 month old lab cross. I have had a few dogs over the years that people have told me you cant do this and cant do that with a dog because of its breed. It is like saying everyone from Brazil is good at soccer. I have my samoyed resonding to me off the lead. It is a good idea to begin in your acre of land. No lead or long rope. Have threats in your pocket and let your dog wander into another part of your garden. Call your pup back with the treat. Samoyed dogs have a good sense of smell so they will pick it up. Play catch and retrieve games on your land too with your samoyed and reward him everytime he brings it back. Dont get frustrated if he does not do it at first because it is not in there nature to retreive but he will get the hang of it with the treats. You have the dog at the ideal age because as pups all dogs have the same thing at mind reguardless of the breed, play. I have had quiet a few breeds of dogs, long term and short and all of them have got used to been off the lead. Dogs arent on leads in the wild and dont travel alone. They go in packs so you convence your dog that you are the leader and he wont go to for from your side. Be patient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i've a samoyed who is almost 2 they are a wonderful dog. keep on trying with the recall it will click eventually but i'd say your going to have to strengten up your hedges otherwise he'll keep escaping on you

tanx guys for all the tips, He is much better at recalling now :D, But we are still having major problems with him getting out of the land,Funnily enough he is not bothered with the other dogs he prefers the company of my horse! Has anybody got any ideas what to do to stop him getting out I havn'y got the cash at the moment to pay for expensive fencing, H e is such a loveable dog and I don't want to get rid of him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tanx guys for all the tips, He is much better at recalling now :D, But we are still having major problems with him getting out of the land,Funnily enough he is not bothered with the other dogs he prefers the company of my horse! Has anybody got any ideas what to do to stop him getting out I havn'y got the cash at the moment to pay for expensive fencing, H e is such a loveable dog and I don't want to get rid of him :(

You said it was just part of the hedge he is getting through? We had this problem with the collie who wanted to dance with the traffic all the time.

A roll of we call shire fencing ( square holes) was enough to hold her. The kind farmers use all the time?

The same is on the field here and she runs along it when cars pass with no danger of getting out.

She was a houdini so it really works; and like you, recall is patchy with her.

Not sure of the cost, but better than losing him if you can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Some stakes and some sheep wire should sort out that little patch of hedge. Cheaper than a shock collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Gelert-Dog-Tether-Steel-Spike-Camping-Outdoor_W0QQitemZ140296585704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item20aa5401e8#ht_1737wt_1165

you can get these in most big pet shops and they sell 30ft waterproof rope/leads. if the dogs not outside too long this could help.

will do guys! tanx so much for help,I'll keep you all updated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

jen_23 wrote: »

I would disagree that they're cruel. I would agree that they are a complete waste if put up wrong. But setting them up correctly is not enough.

Setting them up and training the dog correctly are key.
    Perseverance as you say yourself regarding the training.

I introduced it to our Sami @ 4 months old running on 1.5 acres. 2 days patient training. Product recommends 1 months training - I suspect most people who get the pet safe look at it as a quick fix and are probably shocked to find out in the instructions that a months training is recommended.
    Patient training and a smart dog - a few hours will do the trick, just so long as your patient and use positive reinforcement.

After 3 days the dog was fully aware of the entire boundary. Even on the occasion where he doesn't have the collar on, he does not go into the beep zone, even when excited.

As far as the dog is aware, the only time he crosses the boundary is when he has a lead on. He does so without even flinching as he's been trained properly.

Negative aspect - shock for the dog if he attempts to go past the perimeter.
    Note to another poster (the hair doesn't stop the shock). If you feel that you have to remove some hair, do not shave it, trim instead.

Positive aspects -
    Not worrying farm animals.
    Not trespassing on neighbours.
    Not going on the road - Sami has no savy at all when it comes to cars.
    Preventing the worst, getting knocked down by a car resulting in probable death and being hit with 2 to 3k of a bill to fit a new bumper.

Pet safe is money well spent. More like €200+ for one though.

I would definitely concede that the pet safe is not a substitute. The Samoyed needs company, they thrive on it. Better recall, more efficient training including toilet training.

These dogs go backwards in terms of behaviour if left on their own.
    They'll get their teeth into anything that's even remotely chewable, they'll dig holes bigger than themselves in minutes if they start to suffer from boredom. They are wonderfully interactive dogs that thrive on human contact.

At 4.5 months my dog is on approximately 30k of walking additional to his run around outside. 2k of out and out running once every 4/5 days in the park.
    And I'd imagine he'd like to do more. At the mention of 'walkies' he shakes with excitement, then sits and provides his paws to fit the harness.

One word of note regarding the pet safe. I do not expect it to work if the neghbours dog is in heat.
    Nothing less than a solid boundary that the dog cannot get over or under will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Another trick I found helped my lad was to play "hide and seek" with him in the house, you or kids hide in different rooms in the house and call the dog. Let him find you and give praise & treats. It worked great for us and I even do it every so often on walks, hide behind a tree and call dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement