Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has your life turned out?

• 15-05-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Just having one of those "Think about life moments".

Has your life turned out how you thought it would?

We all had this picture when we were younger of where we would be at X age, whether it be having a family, qualification, good job, financial security, level of fitness, your own home, travelled alot etc.

What were your goals when you were younger and how many have you achieved? What ones do you still plan on achieving and what ones (if any) have you given up on?

How has your life and outlook changed due to unforeseen events? (Economy, illness, unplanned pregnancy etc)

How happy/unhappy are you with life currently and the direction you're going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I had no idea what I wanted to be when I was younger, and I'm still not so sure, but I'm happy with my situation and myself at the moment. I'm doing things I wouldn't have thought I'd be doing not so long ago, but enjoying it.

And if my new business as "The Plow King" turns out well, all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Wow.

One of these.

I'd have to think about it a bit and maybe get back but for now I'd say there are a few pangs of disappointment alright. Nothing catastrophic really.

A lot done a lot more to do, as a complete tool once said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm very happy right now :D Doing my masters abroad and love it here, making new friends that are becoming really good friends, studying hard and having the craic!

I should have started a year and a half earlier than I did but deferred because of personal problems. Which turned out great because I got with an amazing guy who is waiting for me back in Ireland.

Been working hard to make myself a better person than I was a few years ago, and feel like I'm doing really well. I am very proud of myself :)

I'm not really one to have set plans for the future, I don't know what career I want yet, when I want to get married and have kids or anything. Take things as I come, and its working well for me!

/end of gloat

My life is absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. Not one single thing about it turned out the way I would have "planned" when I was younger. My plans to travel still exist and bit by bit I will get to see all the places I want to see but even that list has changed since I was young.

Am I happy? Very :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It is all as I expected...
    I rule the world
    I have infinite sources of revenue
    I have three supermodels competing to pleasure me ...

....and the nice nurse lady is coming to give me my tablet so I have to go offline now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Domo230 wrote: »
    How good are the universities in the mushroom kingdom?

God DANM IT! Beat me to it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I never thought it would be so easy to slip into alcoholism.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I haven't done as well as this guy but I've done better than this other guy.

So I suppose it's ok so far.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I'm 24, my best moments are all ahead of me. I've got more balls than i give myself credit for, i've acheived alot already. I'm not special but i'm at the stage now where i'm saying - "Cut yourself some slack, your doing pretty alright, son!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

My life is absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. Not one single thing about it turned out the way I would have "planned" when I was younger. My plans to travel still exist and bit by bit I will get to see all the places I want to see but even that list has changed since I was young.

Am I happy? Very :)

Don't bother travelling, you can see te world with google street view.

• Advertisement

I'm 24, my best moments are all ahead of me. I've got more balls than i give myself credit for, i've acheived alot already. I'm not special but i'm at the stage now where i'm saying - "Cut yourself some slack, your doing pretty alright, son!"

What moments specifically await you that are so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Has your life turned out how you thought it would?
    Not even slightly. I had it all worked out. I knew where I'd be at a certain time, how my career would progress and all the rest.

None of it happened. But I kept the illusion going for a long time. Looking back I realise now that it was never going to happen. I was fooling myself. I am simply not capable of achieving those ambitions.

Meanwhile other stuff happened. Even ten years ago, if you showed me where I'd be today. I would have laughed in your face. It's absolutely the least likely situation I ever expected to find myself. But here I am.

I don't do regrets anymore. So I'm not too bothered. But I wasted a lot of my life chasing an illusion. :rolleyes:

I think now that whether you plan it all or take it as it comes. Things pretty much work out the same. You are what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've been alive for most of it, which has been a pleasant coincidence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

I've never had an image of where I would be at X years of age or at Y point in time, I still don't.

Although my life is far from perfect, I'm certainly enjoying it and it will only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Had no set plans, then got pregnant at 16-not planned believe it or not! And that threw a bit of a spanner in the works!

But i ended up completing my leaving cert while pregnant, started college six weeks after giving birth and got a 2.1 so worked out well in the end. Set up a nice home with my child's father and started looking for a good job in the field i studied while working part time and volunteering.

However!

He then left me, my degree hasn't helped me get a job, and Im still working part time in the same job and volunteering!

Ah well, things can only get better! Im still young so my life hasn't really 'turned out' as of yet, its still in the very early stages! But so far so good in general!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I have no interest in your personal life, I assure you, so stop enquiring about mine you weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

ha
    IMO 16-24(maybe 28) ARE BY FAR the best years.

After that comes ageing, watching your parents decline and knowing they will never improve , nappies, sleepless nights, end of social life, depression, angst...fúck it where are those pills..goodbye

only joking - getting older is great:D

As a kid I thought I'd be rich and married and have kids of my own, and be the amazing career woman-housewife-mother that my own mother is.

As a teenager I thought I'd be dead by now.

During my 20s I thought I'd never get better.

In my early 30s now and life is finally, finally coming together. Recovering from long term illness, got a lovely guy, he's not perfect but I love him, he loves me, got my pets, getting my health back, and taking the first steps back into employment. So, leaving out my childhood innocent assumption that life was easy for everyone, compared to what I was expecting after, my life has turned out brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My life is nothing like I thought it'd be at this point.

I never imagined myself being an English teacher and I never imagined myself living/working in the Czech Republic. Yeah, I imagined myself living/working outside Ireland but the CR was a place that never crossed my mind.

I'm happy enough with where I am in several areas. I didn't think I'd be in such a relatively secure position financially by the age of 24. I'm healthier that I used to be. I've travelled plenty. I've been lucky to avoid any serious physical illnesses and I've been able to overcome a bout of depression.

Yeah, I'd like to have more friends and a proper relationship but they're minor things in the grand scheme really.

I'm delighted with where my life is going: I'm moving to Brazil in a few weeks, I can't help but be excited about that.

I have no interest in your personal life, I assure you, so stop enquiring about mine you weirdo.

Those moments don't exist. Happiness is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Don't bother travelling, you can see teh world with google street view.
    fyp

I haven't had a plan, but I had aspirations. Had.

Now, nothingness. Slowly trotting toward death, trying to make the most of my hobbies.
    I can't bring myself to care enough about anything.
    You know when old people reach that stage where they stop wanting to achieve because they've known it was all a pointless façade anyway?
    I reached that at 15.
    That annoys me, but not enough to drive me to do anything about it.
    Sob, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Lately I've been saying to myself more and more.....

"Well, at least its not as bad as...........'insert civil war and poverty ravaged country name here' "

This is not a good way to measure your contentment

......although at least its not as bad as.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

My life is nothing like I thought it'd be at this point.

I never imagined myself being an English teacher and I never imagined myself living/working in the Czech Republic. Yeah, I imagined myself living/working outside Ireland but the CR was a place that never crossed my mind.

I'm happy enough with where I am in several areas. I didn't think I'd be in such a relatively secure position financially by the age of 24. I'm healthier that I used to be. I've travelled plenty. I've been lucky to avoid any serious physical illnesses and I've been able to overcome a bout of depression.

Yeah, I'd like to have more friends and a proper relationship but they're minor things in the grand scheme really.

I'm delighted with where my life is going: I'm moving to Brazil in a few weeks, I can't help but be excited about that.

A man grabbing life with two hands. Well done.

Don't bother travelling, you can see te world with google street view.

I shouldn't have used the word "see", experience would be more apt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PinkApples

Still in my mid-twenties, so not too bitter and regret-filled yet.
    I had funny ideas about life when I was younger, just that everything would be easier somehow.
    Pretty much on track where I wanted to be career wise. Relationship wise, maybe not so much. But there's no hurry!

As a kid I thought I'd be rich and married and have kids of my own, and be the amazing career woman-housewife-mother that my own mother is.

As a teenager I thought I'd be dead by now.

During my 20s I thought I'd never get better.

In my early 30s now and life is finally, finally coming together. Recovering from long term illness, got a lovely guy, he's not perfect but I love him, he loves me, got my pets, getting my health back, and taking the first steps back into employment. So, leaving out my childhood innocent assumption that life was easy for everyone, compared to what I was expecting after, my life has turned out brilliantly.

That's nice, great to hear.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Checks driveway for lambo.... Nope, still not there.

PinkApples wrote: »
    Still in my mid-twenties, so not too bitter and regret-filled yet.

Don't worry, loads of time yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Depressing thread is depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Excellent!.. Though terrible if compared to my peer group

Advertisement