Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Helmet Noise

• 09-03-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37 coolmangg

Hey,

I have a Caberg flip helmet, with integrated sun visor, it is my first helmet, and I really like it for comfort, style etc.
    I do however find it a bit noisy when travelling at speed, like (100 - 120kph).
    I am using ear plugs but it is still quite noisy particularly on long rides.
    Can anybody tell me if all helmets are pretty noisy or if it is just Cabergs?
    The bike itself is a Yamaha XMax 250 so not a particularly loud bike.

Aslo can anybody recommend a good, quiet, flip face, with built in sun visor helmet that wont break the bank!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Heya,
    just throwing this out there... have you a touring screen on your bike?
    I found mental wind noise on a previous bike with a big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

I had a Caberg and found it particularly noisy. Switched to a Schuberth C3 and although it's not the quietest, it was a lot quieter than the Caberg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

found most helmets are noisy. They do differ slightly depending on make but the screens affect the volume more.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The C3 is known to be one of the quieter flips. Nolan N103s are quite noisy, the predecessor to that, the N102, was quieter even though it had an external sun visor.

None of them are going to be 'quiet'. You could try something like these earplugs which are better than the foam kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

gipi wrote: »
    I had a Caberg and found it particularly noisy. Switched to a Schuberth C3 and although it's not the quietest, it was a lot quieter than the Caberg!

I've never tried the C3, but out of the 3 helmets I've had so far, the Schuberth was the quietest by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm on my second C3 and I find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 coolmangg

Thanks for that!
    Yeah there is a screen on the bike, it's a half size one I think,
    I originally had a larger one, but while it was quieter, it was hard to see through during wet weather and I thought it was very dangerous.

The Schuberth C3 looks great but quite expensive. Probably worth the investment though.
    Start saving me-thinks.
    Anybody know where they are sold in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coolmangg wrote: »
    Thanks for that!
    Yeah there is a screen on the bike, it's a half size one I think,
    I originally had a larger one, but while it was quieter, it was hard to see through during wet weather and I thought it was very dangerous.

Have you tried to adjust the screen for better air flow? May be cheaper than buying a new lid if you can, if it's possible, or look into fairing deflectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

The Schuberth C3.
    Anybody know where they are sold in Dublin?

Megabikes sell them afaik.

I wear an RX7 GP and its noisy. Always wear earplugs though. Helps a little!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Looking through the screen is not a good idea imho (and it will fail the bike in the German TUV test) but the idea is that it deflects the air up. There are screens available with flipped up top edges to give the effect of a higher screen while being physically lower.

I don't like big screens myself, I prefer to have my helmet in 'clean' air as this is quieter, I ride sport or sport-touring bikes so the effect of the screen is to keep the wind pressure off my chest, rather than anything to do with keeping rain of me :)

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WildSalome

Had 2 Dainese helmets and were not as noisy as Arai. Never need to wear earplugs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 coolmangg

This is the bike,
    The screen is low on it, but may be causing the noise,
    Can anybody recommend a DIY deflector that I can attach to the existing screen?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I have a Duchinni D909 and it drives me nuts on my Deauville but only when the visor is down, tried a new visor and still the same. I am looking at a Shark Vison-R but wondering about noise with them

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭alanmc

I had a Roof Boxer flip lid for a while. Very noisy. Used to drive me nuts at motorway speed.

Went back to a full-face lid recently. Bought an AGV Stealth with integrated sun visor. Quietest lid I've owned. But since you're looking for a flip lid, not much help.

The Schuberth is defo supposed to be the most refined flip available. But that's reflected in the price. All I can say is The Roof Boxer is not what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Jose Clean Toilet

Genuine question here.

When people talk about noisy helmets are we talking about wind noise or the engine/exhaust sounds?.

Like I said, genuine question as I've never had what I'd consider a noisy helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Genuine question here.

When people talk about noisy helmets are we talking about wind noise or the engine/exhaust sounds?.

Like I said, genuine question as I've never had what I'd consider a noisy helmet.

Wind noise. Your lucky if you've never heard it. Worst bit is going to the bother of putting in plugs, for one of to slip out but you don't notice till too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭alanmc

Wind noise. The flip lids are especially guilty of this. The mechanism that allows the chin bar to flip up can cause wind resistence (similar to a car window that's open a crack). Gets quite noisy at 100 ..... errr 74.56 miles per hour. :eek:

Full face lids can get noisy if they don't have good aero properties. I had an Arashi which had vents in the top of the lid to aid in cooling your noodle. But it made the helmet quite noisy. It's also a function of the sound deadening properties of the padding.

Grand stuff, thanks for the replies.

I'm interested as I'm in the process of choosing a new lid, my current helmet is over ten years old.. Anyway, I noticed when I was looking around this morning how lightweight helmets are now compared to my old Arai and got to thinking if this (light weight materials) contributed to helmet noise.

I kinda chose a KBC open face, the thing hardly weighs more than my bicycle helmet!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm interested as I'm in the process of choosing a new lid, my current helmet is over ten years old.. Anyway, I noticed when I was looking around this morning how lightweight helmets are now compared to my old Arai and got to thinking if this (light weight materials) contributed to helmet noise.

I kinda chose a KBC open face, the thing hardly weighs more than my bicycle helmet!.

KBC are decent enough. I have a couple myself. And a couple of Sharks. And a couple of HJC's. :pac: But yeah, helmets these days weigh a LOT less than they used to. One of my HJC's weigh 1050gms, which isn't a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Good call, I reckon visors can play a roll in the noise also.

I wish I hadn't read this thread now, my helmet is driving me nuts and I've wondering where I can plug gaps to cut down on the noise :mad:

(I never noticed these things before).

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

My cheapo helmet is well noisy. Just picked up a Shoei Hornet and its a lot quieter. Also started wearying a neck tube and the positioning of that also helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I wish I hadn't read this thread now, my helmet is driving me nuts and I've wondering where I can plug gaps to cut down on the noise :mad:

(I never noticed these things before).

Depends on you helmet I suppose. You can buy Whisper Kits for Shoei's that reduce noise, see here

You might be able to pick up something similar for your own lid though.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Depends on you helmet I suppose. You can buy Whisper Kits for Shoei's that reduce noise, see here

You might be able to pick up something similar for your own lid though.

Thanks, but I'm well used to noise now I guess.

I never really gave noisy helmets much thought, then I read this thread. Bought a new helmet yesterday and thought it was dreadfully noisy but by the time I was driving home from work today I'd forgotten all about it again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Joking aside, helmet noise can cause serious hearing loss in the long term, especially at higher speeds if you don't wear earplugs.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I genuinely think that my hearing is fudged because of helmet noise / wind noise. Well; it's not what it should be anyway!

For about a year I used to do a Waterford <-> Dublin commute on the weekends and there were plenty of times where I forgot to bring earplugs, but said "f**k it, I'll be grand".
    2 hours or whistling and howling in your ears can't be good for you.

I know I've said this before; there are dozens of things to look out for when buying a helmet; and of course safety comes first, but a "nice to have" is always a quieter helmet as well.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Joking aside, helmet noise can cause serious hearing loss in the long term, especially at higher speeds if you don't wear earplugs.

Damage has long been done so.. I'm riding bikes both in my profession and for pleasure since 1985 - I'm that old :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The screen on your scooter is deflecting the air towards your helmet and under it. Do something with your screen, or wear a balaclava under the helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

my caberg was also a joke for noise... I have a htc carbon now and its the business!

Advertisement