Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

adverts.ie for very reasonable stuff if you don't mind going second hand and are not too fussy. Next had some ok stuff too.

Do not order mothercare online - 33 days later and no delivery. I called again today to find out that they attemted delivery 3 times which is absolute twaddle, I'm here all day, every day and have the hearing of a bat - and two very protective dogs who draw attention to every single car that even slows down when passing the house :rolleyes:.

The package has now been returned to them. My money was supposedly refunded. If I had not called, I would have known nothing. Useless.

So, I'm now on the lookout for maternity stuff too because hubby wants his slouchy tracksuits back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

javagal wrote: »
    Girls, I need reasonable maternity clothes, anyone got any tips.

If you're unopposed to 2nd hand, I'd really suggest getting a bundle from someone shifting all their maternity stuff.

As I said in an earlier post I spent €40 and got a massive sack of stuff. The girl had kept all the clothes in great condition, there was plenty of work type stuff as well as casual, many dresses, they were all my size & my style (she put up good photos of each item). Now I think I was lucky to get what I got but I'd say you could get decent stuff. Got it on adverts.ie but there's lots of other sites like that.

Even if you got 3-4 decent things out of a bundle for €40, you'd still be saving a fortune compared to buying it all new.

If you'll definitely only take new stuff, H&M is great for casual stuff & not too overly pricey. Otherwise, just watch out for sales.

Kash wrote: »
    So, I'm now on the lookout for maternity stuff too because hubby wants his slouchy tracksuits back :)

Actually I may start stealing hubby's trackie bottoms for the house as mine are way too tight at the band.

As an aside, you know how I'm whinging that I've gained too much for 17 weeks (10lbs) per a certain site. Well another says you should have gained 10-12 by 18 weeks (which is Saturday for me) :confused: Feck it I'm just going to eat when I'm hungry and be done with the worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kiwi2011

Just waiting at my Gps for a check up! would u believe it but yesterday I slipped at the top of the stairs and fell the entire way down on my back and now Im Black and blue! Hope everything ok. :-(

Mink wrote: »
    Feck it I'm just going to eat when I'm hungry and be done with the worrying.
    Great idea - i'm totally on board with that one. We have enough to worry about
    Kiwi2011 wrote: »
    Just waiting at my Gps for a check up! would u believe it but yesterday I slipped at the top of the stairs and fell the entire way down on my back and now Im Black and blue! Hope everything ok. :-(

:eek:
    That must have been so frightening! I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

kiwi2011, hope you're ok! This pregnancy business is one fright after the next!!

I talked to my GP and she said that she knows my consultant personally and though he has an "awful bedside manner" (understatement) that he's one of the best that she knows. Apparently as a doctor he's quite good, not much consolation. She said that she would have all her faith in him and that if he scanned the area, even just for a second he would know if something serious was wrong at this stage. I'm still going to get a private second opinion asap just to put my mind at ease. I've transferred from the midwifery led clinic to the consultant led just in case, though the consultant said it wouldn't be a problem to go with the midwives. I just don't think I fit in to the low risk category any more though. Anyway, I have my scan in two weeks & my next appointment will be under a different consultant, just by chance. So we'll see how that goes.

My GP said not to lift a finger for the rest of the pregnancy. The only thing I can do is swim & that's because I swim very regularly anyway so I have my OH, mum and sister warned that I'm gonna be a very lazy bit** for the next five months :D Luckily that my main work involves writing a phd which I can do from bed anyway so here's hoping things go ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Mamaheidi, I hope you will feel more relaxed now.

Kiwi please be careful.

I had appointment with my GP on Saturday, he told me that if my urine tests results will be good he will let me go back to work next week if I will promise to take often breaks, rest whenever I start feeling bad (ideally if I can lie down for even few minutes) and I will avoid work related stress.

I send email to my boss with info on Saturday and today afternoon I get replay that he do not feel ok with me coming back to work as they cannot promise that I will work only hours I supposed to (we work at least 10 hours a day, but PA job is never done and you always need to be on call), regular breaks are impossible as well, and resting - not possible either.
    So I called HSE asked what I supposed to do. My GP cannot give me med cert for next 20 weeks and my boss does not want me in office. To be honest I do not feel that going back to work is safe thing to do for baby and for me. I was told to apply for health and safety benefit but they told me that it is unlikely I will get it as my work does not involve a lot of physical things (exc. carrying boxes with documents and folders). What should I do?

How did your check up go, if you went down on your back, I'd say everything is fine.
    This is my worst nightmare as I'm very clumsy and have fallen down stairs at home & in public numerous times :o My hubby has banned me from wearing certain slippers as they are more slippy than usual.

Haven't had any falls *touch wood* since preg but I think I've been uber careful

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

Saurelin wrote: »
    Javagal Zoey Belle is beautiful name :)
    Our family is close as well (even if they are far) and they all are involved a lot. My parents in law already bought a lot of staff for baby.

I'm 18 weeks now and I'm worried that I didn't feel baby yet.
    I know I still have some time but...

Hi all,
    Saurelin - will be good to meet u too and put a face to one of the names! Don't be worried, we have the same due date and I am yet to feel a flutter - have been getting a weird tickly feeling just below my belly button, not sure if its baby or not.. i figure when baby is ready to make his/her presence felt they will do so and not a minute before so there's no point stressing.. About work have you tried phoning the citizens advice centre - they are usually really helpful and will have up to date info on legal issues and welfare entitlements - might be worth a shot...

Javagal - love the name it's fab - you're family must have been so excited!!! I hit the shops yesterday and got some clothes that actually fit... Got a few lovely tops and a dress in new look, a couple of nice drape cardigans in mango , couldn't get any jeans long enough for me in shops, but found some lovely ones on new look website with extra long legs, so ordered two pairs and another dress - may have gone a bit overboard ;)

Kiwi - you poor thing, you must have gotton an awful fright, hope GP appointment went well and put your mind at ease...

post bump exercise thread - count me in, think i will need all the help i can get!
    And unfortunately yes on the swollen ankles :( if u can find the time elevating them is supposed to help!

Talk soon
    T x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I got some stuff off new look today and I'm gonna send stuff from matalan to my aunt in the uk for her to bring home.

If anyone wants to order stuff from new look I get the online student discount!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I got some stuff off new look today and I'm gonna send stuff from matalan to my aunt in the uk for her to bring home.

If anyone wants to order stuff from new look I get the online student discount!

Never even thought of Matalan and I was in Belfast twice this week will check it out now!

Still no bump anyway just getting fat, all I want is Indian food (the reason I was in Belfast :o) not really a low calorie choice. My friend keeps laughing at my food baby cause my stomach area is so massive it looks like the babies there and my little cousins keeps poking and rubbing it!

I have a food baby too! Mostly from chipper!
    Wish i lived near the north to spin to matalan,they have cheap cot sets too

I have a food baby too! Mostly from chipper!
    Wish i lived near the north to spin to matalan,they have cheap cot sets too

I didn`t know that either thanks Java! Wouldn`t mind picking up stuff for you if I`m travelling your direction at some stage I`m in Belfast and Dublin at least once every 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Saurelin if your doc was only happy to let you back to work under those conditions if you explain to him you can't he probably will keep you out on certs. I'm out 14 weeks on certs and realistically it's looking less and less likely I'm going to be allowed back at all. I got a form from social welfare last week that my doc had to fill out because I'm on certs so long: they specifically have a section that lists your end date if it's pregnancy related issues. So you can be out on certs for the next 20 weeks if needs be... If your sick obv. And if your exhausted and sick at home resting up, 10+ hour days won't be good for you or baby.

Also your boss sounds utterly immovable and unhelpful: I feel so cross on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Thanks Cyning,

I'm planning to talk to citizen information today. I know that by law my boss must have place where I will be able to rest and lie down.
    I will see what they have to say.
    The most annoying thing is I still get emails from work, and I need to take care of few things on weekly basic so it is not that he doesn’t need me. He is afraid that if something will go wrong I may be entitled to have a claim against him.

I talked to my GP yesterday, he said that HSE is extremely strict in relation to med certs and if I do not require hospitalisation he should let me go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hi everyone, was away at the wkend so haven't been on in a few days.
    Then got struck down by that wretched tummy bug on Sunday...unusual for the two of us to be sick at the same time but Boyf had the symptoms a few hours after I first did!
    It's literally a 24-hour thing. Grand today and back in work.

Saurelin, your boss sounds like an ass.
    I didn't know the HSE were so strict with med certs, you wldnt think it the way some docs hand them out!
    My own GP told me at my first appt that if I ever needed a day off because I was so exhausted, just call into him! I've never taken him up on the offer, but I think it helped to have that in the back of my mind.
    Just because you're not sick enough to be hospitalised, doesn't mean ur well enough to be working either.

Boyf is getting all paternal and responsible on me - we applied for life assurance last night and he wants to take out a pension. Because of his illness, he's afraid that his life has been shortened and wants me and babs looked after.
    His medical history is complicated, but he's fine now so we're waiting to hear if the company will insure him. The fact that he needs surgery sometime in the future might work against him, even tho he might not have it for 20 years.
    Fingers crossed for him, because it's something that's very important to him.

Week 20 now....feel like I'm over on top of the hill and it's all countdown from here. Can't believe it's passing by so quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Girls, I have begun so obsessed with my pregnant belly that I've started googling pictures of 4 months pregnant bellies.
    I think I am very big for 4 months ( 19 weeks tomorrow) some pictures had girls around my size, others had tiny babies! I feel like most of my belly is fat and not baby.
    I have a wedding in 5 weeks and I'm dreading it incase people think I look more like 7 months pregnant instead of 5.5.

I didn't really change my diet too much, although I do think that since I got pregnant I started to eat when hungry, as I didn't want to deprive baby... Whereas before I had my breakfast at 8, and even though I'd be peckish at 11.30 I wouldn't eat anything as lunch wasn't too far away, but now I would eat something small.

Oh god. I'm such a fatty mac butterpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Sorry, haven't been on in a bit, was away at funeral. Java, congrats on the news - so exciting.

Cyning, sorry to hear you're sick again.

To all the others mammies to be, hope ye are all well - haven't had time to read through and catch up properly yet!

To update the due date list - internet/gp tells me due date is 24th July, but hospital saying 29th July, so not sure.

notsobusy-2nd July
    Tinkerbell4484 - 4th July
    Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Cyning-8th July
    Javagal-9th July
    Kiwi2011-12th July
    Kash-13th July
    KildareAsh-15th July
    Silly- 18th July
    Fri.Day - 18th July
    Saurelin- 22nd July
    March11 - 24th July
    Mink- 28th July
    theg81der- 31st July

March11 wrote: »
    Sorry, haven't been on in a bit, was away at funeral. Java, congrats on the news - so exciting.

To all the others mammies to be, hope ye are all well - haven't had time to read through and catch up properly yet!

To update the due date list - internet/gp tells me due date is 24th July, but hospital saying 29th July, so not sure.

notsobusy-2nd July
    Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Cyning-8th July
    Javagal-9th July
    Kiwi2011-12th July
    Kash-13th July
    KildareAsh-15th July
    Silly- 18th July
    Fri.Day - 18th July
    Saurelin- 22nd July
    March11 - 24th July
    Mink- 28th July
    theg81der- 31st July

Oooh March your due on my birthday :D

Silly,
    Want me to post a picture of my belly?? I don't mind!! it's covered in a thick blanket of black hair atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kiwi2011

Hi all, What a 24 hours. Went to my Gp yesterday afternoon and they could not find any heartbeat with the doppler which has previously worked successfully at 14 weeks! was told can go to A&E and wait til morning til scan can be done once radiology back on, or alt come back in at 9am for scan.

Anyway, went to maternity this morning and scan all fine -no problems what so ever! A bit bruised and sore myself but I wouldnt be bothered about that if baby is ok!

Is my first incident as everything has run so smoothly so far..... makes u think twice after something like that!

Warning....Ladies dont wear socks and no shoes/slippers around the stairs!!!

• Advertisement

Hi all, What a 24 hours. Went to my Gp yesterday afternoon and they could not find any heartbeat with the doppler which has previously worked successfully at 14 weeks! was told can go to A&E and wait til morning til scan can be done once radiology back on, or alt come back in at 9am for scan.

Anyway, went to maternity this morning and scan all fine -no problems what so ever! A bit bruised and sore myself but I wouldnt be bothered about that if baby is ok!

Is my first incident as everything has run so smoothly so far..... makes u think twice after something like that!

Oh Kiwi You Poor thing!! can't believe you went through that..

Glad everything is ok, hiking boots from now on..heck just crawl everywhere!x

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Oh Kiwi glad to hear you and babs are ok. You must have got some fright.

I eat when I am hungry, I eat alot during the day but not really in the evening any more. I was working outdoors before I broke my ankle back in November so would have been scoffing huge meals in the evening!! Now in the evening I eat half as much as I used to but to be fair I might have a bowl of cereal at 10pm!

Just can't fit as much in as I used to I suppose!

So glad that everything is ok - when i read the first part of your post, my heart skipped a beat... I can only imagine how last night was for you.

Silly, don't worry about it. There was 18 pregnant ladies at my antenatal class, all between weeks 18 and 20, and the difference in all the bellies was astounding... some with itty bitty bumps, and others that looked massive. 'Normal' is such an arbitrary scale... and everyone will be delighted to see you looking healthy and happy, no-one will care about the size!

Relieved for you Kiwi. Sometimes slippers can be dodgy as well, some don't have great grips on the bottom. I'm going to do as Java says and crawl up & down the stairs. May even get a stair lift or piggy backs.
    silly wrote: »
    Oh god. I'm such a fatty mac butterpants.

Haha, I'll bet you're not and it's half in your head.
    Half of the day I think I look fine and the other half all I can see is that my ar$e is growing commensurately with my bump. I look like I'm pregnant both sides.

Girls, I have begun so obsessed with my pregnant belly that I've started googling pictures of 4 months pregnant bellies.

Me too but I was too embarrased to tell anyone :o

March11 wrote: »

notsobusy-2nd July
    Mamaheidi-8th July?
    Cyning-8th July
    Javagal-9th July
    Kiwi2011-12th July
    Kash-13th July
    KildareAsh-15th July
    Silly- 18th July
    Fri.Day - 18th July
    Saurelin- 22nd July
    March11 - 24th July
    Mink- 28th July
    theg81der- 31st July

Oooh March your due on my birthday :D

Silly,
    Want me to post a picture of my belly?? I don't mind!! it's covered in a thick blanket of black hair atm!
    Would ya really!!??

Girls, I need your opinion, because I can't decide if I'm being pregnant lady crazy, or whether I am being reasonably concerned.

Hubby wants to go to a concert with the guys on the 7th of June.
    It's on in Cork, a 2-3 hours drive away. He intends to come home afterwards.

I'll be 35 weeks pregnant at that stage.

I am getting nervous about him going, but i'm not sure if thats just my pregnancy brain. But if this is how I feel now, I'm worried I'll be handcuffing him to the radiator in June!

Any thoughts?

Would ya really!!??

Sure thing- gonna go to the bathroom in college and take one!!!! I should be taking pics of it anyway!!

Someone else do it too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Kash,

I'm not sure, I had sort of the same discussion with the OH a few weeks back. He wanted us to go to his sister's 40th in June & when I said I had no intention of driving 4.5 hours there & 4.5 hours back for a party when I'm 8 and a half months pregnant he said "oh that's a pity but I understand, I won't drink so if anything happens I'll come straight back up to you!" I don't think he realised what he was saying at that stage he presumed the baby would come out bang on the 8th!! Luckily after the last few doc visits he has no intention of going anywhere without me :D

It's completely up to you though. Maybe you could get your mum / sister / friend to stay with you for the few hours & be on standby just in case. You could get your OH to keep checking his phone and leave straight away if anything does happen. If it's 3 hours away max then he should make it to the hospital before the baby does!!

• Advertisement

That's a toughy!

I can understand you being nervous about it, and wether you are being unreasonable or not I think your hubby should respect your opinion on this.
    On the other hand, It is highly unlikely that anything should happen to you at 35 weeks the one night he is away though! Sure you can have your mom/sis/friend stay with you while he's gone?

At the end of the day, it should be whatever you feel comfortable with, it may seem unreasonable but I'm sure whoever is playing, they'll be back again.

Advertisement