Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Brewster

GerM wrote: »
    Brewster wrote: »
    That's a nonsense. Best was one of our better players throughout Six Nations and has continued that form into World Cup. Flannery played against England in warm up game and Thompson destroyed him in some of the scrums. There is not a chance he was starting ahead of Best. It's bad enough news about Best without people talking rubbish on here.

A lot of people will never value Best or notice the amount of work he does. People will ignore that often when both Flannery and Best were fit, Best was selected ahead of Flannery. Best has generally been putting in these type of shifts but for the past couple of seasons the line out has been misfiring on and off due to a number of reasons (and continued to misfire with Flannery in it in the warm ups) and people used Best as a scapegoat. Now that the line out is very solid, he's suddenly playing a blinder. He was playing very well for a long time.

He's a massive blow for the side if he's out for just one game or for the remainder of the tournament. Can only hope it's just one game and he's back fit and raring to go in the event of us beating Wales.

Ger, been saying the same ad naseum on here and elsewhere for 5 past years.... Best's throwing has not suddenly improved, it's simply a result of a well oiled line out machine with all parts functioning. There are many games where Best, POC and DOC have been 100% with the lineout! Rory also now has two great props eitherside of him that allow his scrummaging ability to come to the fore. News about him much more positive this morning, if perhaps too late for Ireland, at least he should be back soon enough. So much for the broken collarbone tweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

fingers crossed he makes a quick recovery, he's been excellent so far. Big opportunity for Cronin to show what he's made of.

From a very good source, Rory's tournament is finished with a broken collarbone! Mike Sherry called up as replacement!

Hopefully Cronin can stand up and be counted! And everyone gets behind him..

You may go back to your source for the latest!!!

bamboozle wrote: »
    fingers crossed he makes a quick recovery, he's been excellent so far. Big opportunity for Cronin to show what he's made of.
    Good you can finally see this Bamboozle!! His scrummaging ability is less of a myth to you now I hope!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cian Healy was interviewed by the citing commissioner after the match about the gouging he suffered. I imagine someone thought he was being interviewed about him throwing punches and that is why people were talking about possibility about more front row issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

Cian Healy was interviewed by the citing commissioner after the match about the gouging he suffered. I imagine someone thought he was being interviewed about him throwing punches and that is why people were talking about possibility about more front row issues
    Good Lord I hope this is the end of it - there was one particular 'Bakkies' clear out of Bergamasco, just after he copped a couple of slaps that I was worried about. If we are only without Best for Wales, we should still be able to overpower them up front, whereas without Healy we might have been in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Grachain

I agree, in the past I have been a bit critical of Best, put his performance in the world cup has been outstanding, he's playing the best rugby of his life at the moment.
    Seeing some mixed reports about his injury hopefully its not too bad. I'd hate to see the this pack broken up they been destroying their opposition so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I have full faith in cronin. In a high pressure situation like this I know he'll perform and hopefully play to his strengths: his line breaks, speed and strength.

His darts are ever improving, and hopefully he doesn't famously knockon! But when it matters I think he'll do just fine.

The big worry is possibly losing another first choice front row while best is out. As I mentioned early I'm concerned with healy's clear out... But I'm hoping that it's all squared up and no citings take place. I'm sure neither team really wish the other to be cited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Whats the timeline on citings. I think Healy should be ok but need to be certain. I think i heard 48 hours following game so tomorrow morning should give answers on this.

Hope more news on Best recovering during the week. He is playing great rugby and really would be sorry to lose him.

Cronin is ok but not tested much at this level. Its great saying he is a great sprinter and whatever but he has struggled with scrummaging and his darts at a lower level and now at the biggest level of all we are thinking he will be grand.

We need Best in there. I hope he recovers well. This management team will give him every support and opportunity to get back for a Semi Final (as long as we overcome Wales of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not holding my breath for Best, I'm pretty sure he's gone.

I also would not be surprised to see Varley start, Kidney has not exactly been predictable to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'm not holding my breath for Best, I'm pretty sure he's gone.

I also would not be surprised to see Varley start, Kidney has not exactly been predictable to date.

If I associate Cronin with knock-ons, I've an equally strong association between Varley and conceding penalties...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

chris85 wrote:

Cronin is ok but not tested much at this level. Its great saying he is a great sprinter and whatever but he has struggled with scrummaging and his darts at a lower level and now at the biggest level of all we are thinking he will be grand.

in fairness the lad has played against the ABs and australia away and played extremely well in both. He also played against the Pumas and ABs at home also so alot of his starts have come against bigger teams. He doesnt have the experience of best but its not like hes not played in big matches before.

Best is fantastic in the scrum and his loss will be felt but he does have a week to work healy/ross and feek. Greg feek has gone on record saying hes happy with his progress in the scrum too so if hes not worried im pretty sure he can cope.

His darts need work no doubt but v Wales at least he will have POC in the lineout as a target instead of D ryan (who is good but not on the same level) which is a boost for anyones confidence

That is probably a step too far. Varley was only called up to the squad three weeks ago and is the only current member of the squad to not have any gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I have a sneaking feeling Best will be ok for Saturday.

If you think about it, If he was to be a major doubt for this Saturday, that would mean he would have to be a doubt for the following Saturday also.

With only 3 weeks and 3 possible games left in the competition as a whole, I think another Hooker would have been called into the squad if he was a major doubt. It would be a huge gamble not to call in another hooker immediately if he was in danger of missing any of the remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

whycliff wrote: »

If you think about it, If he was to be a major doubt for this Saturday, that would mean he would have to be a doubt for the following Saturday also.

With only 3 weeks and 3 possible games left in the competition as a whole, I think another Hooker would have been called into the squad if he was a major doubt. It would be a huge gamble not to call in another hooker immediately if he was in danger of missing any of the remaining games.

I don't see how being a major doubt for this Saturday would automatically make him a major doubt for next Saturday? An AC sprain could easilly heal in a week if he's handled correctly and if it's nothing too serious.

Also, if he has any chance of playing in ANY of the remaining games (even just the final) then he will remain in the squad. They're not going to drop him and lose him for the rest of the tournament if he could potentially start in the final, especially when the alternatives are far below the standard required.

Having done the same to myself, I think the odds are stacked against him for this weekend. He won't be able to throw the ball properly, and there will be severe pressure around the joint in the scrums. Unless it heals fully by the weekend I hugely doubt he'll be involved.

That sounds like serious wishful thinking to me. If there's any chance that he will be fit for the semi (inshallah) they won't replace him and if he is significantly less than 100% for Wales, they shouldn't risk him. Wales have a decent scrum but, of all the teams that we are likely to face in the remainder of the tournie (inshallah), they have the least powerful pack, especially in the front 5.

In addition to the set piece, Best is head and shoulders ahead of the competition when it comes to fringe defence - this should be way less important against Wales who don't really pick and go much than it would be against England, France, SA or NZ. We should still be able to over-power the Welsh pack without Best, we would be seriously in danger of getting blown away in the close channels without him against France or England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

It would be amazing if he was back for Saturday, but I doubt it. I know it's not as bad as we all tought at first, but it needs to heal. So we just have to hope Cronin gets a bit of practise in!

But to have him for the Semis, should we get there, now THAT would be my preference. Still though, I'd love if you were right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

The fact that Kidney brought a clearly unfit Flannery to New Zealand ahead of Varley doesn't bode well for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I suspect he will be back for Wales. We are not going to get the real story, unless it is a break, because the camp will play the injury for tactical reasons, as they have with POC's injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I don't see how being a major doubt for this Saturday would automatically make him a major doubt for next Saturday? An AC sprain could easilly heal in a week if he's handled correctly and if it's nothing too serious.

Also, if he has any chance of playing in ANY of the remaining games (even just the final) then he will remain in the squad. They're not going to drop him and lose him for the rest of the tournament if he could potentially start in the final, especially when the alternatives are far below the standard required.

Having done the same to myself, I think the odds are stacked against him for this weekend. He won't be able to throw the ball properly, and there will be severe pressure around the joint in the scrums. Unless it heals fully by the weekend I hugely doubt he'll be involved.

Why on earth would you hang onto or pin your hopes a player if he only has a chance of playing the semi final or final. By that stage Cronin could have picked up a knock and then all of a sudden we're down to our 4th choice Hooker (Flannery,Best,Cronin) with no replacement called up because Best had a chance of making the Final.

Really depends on how bad the sprain is.

All sorts of rumours going around - one coming from a reputable editor of a top broadsheet that he was 99% out with his collar bone gone.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Tweeted an hour ago by Tony Leen, Irish Examiner sports editor:
    Tony Leen is a typical bottom feeding journo spreading ill-founded rumours and getting me all worked up. File under gimp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why on earth would you hang onto or pin your hopes a player if he only has a chance of playing the semi final or final. By that stage Cronin could have picked up a knock and then all of a sudden we're down to our 4th choice Hooker (Flannery,Best,Cronin) with no replacement called up because Best had a chance of making the Final.

Really depends on how bad the sprain is.

All sorts of rumours going around - one coming from a reputable editor of a top broadsheet that he was 99% out with his collar bone gone.

If he has a chance of playing in the semi final then of course we hold on to him!

You're talking about dropping Best for someone like Mike Sherry who has 0 experience with the squad, system and international rugby. He won't be able to train until Wednesday or Thursday and definitely will not be involved this week at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Weekly knock out rugby, one of your most important players (and he is) gets a knock which does not rule him out of the tournament. You have to cross continents to replace him. You have two other players on the right continent who play that position.

Of course you don't feckin' replace him !

Like all I am vastly curious as to whether Kidney and the camp are devious enough to play this one for tactical giggles, and we see Rory Best named on the team sheet. With that said, we would do well to remember the way the David Pocock injury put wind in our sales and deflated Australia (this is perhaps not quite the same thing in terms of timing).

Anyway, replacing Best at this point in time = bonkers talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Weekly knock out rugby, one of your most important players (and he is) gets a knock which does not rule him out of the tournament. You have to cross continents to replace him. You have two other players on the right continent who play that position.

Of course you don't feckin' replace him !

Like all I am vastly curious as to whether Kidney and the camp are devious enough to play this one for tactical giggles, and we see Rory Best named on the team sheet. With that said, we would do well to remember the way the David Pocock injury put wind in our sales and deflated Australia (this is perhaps not quite the same thing in terms of timing).

Anyway, replacing Best at this point in time = bonkers talk.

Sherry got the call in the last hour, he's flyin out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dunston wrote: »

Link?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dunston wrote: »

If this is true (and I remain skeptical till I see linkage) it may well be a precautionary measure (as an unofficial squad member), should Armageddon happen :eek: and there was another hooker injury in training during the week there would not be time to get him out to NZ in order to bench on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Says to me that the Irish management are conscious that Best is unlikely to be available again but are absolutely desperate to give him every opportunity to be fit if they reach the latter stages. Rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

GerM wrote: »
    Says to me that the Irish management are conscious that Best is unlikely to be available again but are absolutely desperate to give him every opportunity to be fit if they reach the latter stages. Rightly so.

Yup - makes sense too. It will take Sherry the guts of a week to travel and get over jet lag so sending him now is the only way to make him even remotely viable for the semi final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of Sherry but the vibe from Munster guys on here seems to be reasonably positive. I'm not particularly keen on the notion of Varley as an international-class hooker, so maybe the Munster lads could let us know who'd they rather see on the bench, Varley or Sherry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of Sherry but the vibe from Munster guys on here seems to be reasonably positive. I'm not particularly keen on the notion of Varley as an international-class hooker, so maybe the Munster lads could let us know who'd they rather see on the bench, Varley or Sherry?

Varley. I think Sherry is a better player in the long run but he's too inexperienced to be thrown in.

Advertisement