Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tonedef wrote: »
    Not trying to derail the discussion but has anyone seen any other sources on the story that Best was taken to hospital other than Planet Rugby?

It's a wonder RTE or the BBC haven't picked up on this story yet, I mean the game finished a couple of hours ago at this stage

Rte tweeted it looked like he might have to go for scan on shoulder, it's the middle of night there though so it won't be reported until there are actual facts in the morning I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fingers crossed it's just a bad knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Watching the replay on TG4 a while ago, it looked bad. Italian tackler's head seemed to go straight into the collar bone area. But fingers crossed. As others have said, to lose two players in the same position of such calibre would be very unfortunate. He's definitely needed against the Welsh. :(

If not, then step up Seán Cronin, and we'll see what you've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Just seen tweet there from Tony Leen (Irish Examiner sports editor) saying he has a reliable team source in NZ that says best is 99% certain to be out of the Q-Final of the World Cup.

Also stated in another tweet that his collar bone is gone and the front row issues may not end there.....

What we can read into that is anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

whycliff wrote: »
    Just seen tweet there from Tony Leen (Irish Examiner sports editor) saying he has a reliable team source in NZ that says best is 99% certain to be out of the Q-Final of the World Cup.
    Very reliable team source in New Zealand tells me "99% certain" Rory Best is out of World Cup q final with shoulder injury. Mike Sherry?
    puke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Also stated in another tweet that his collar bone is gone and the front row issues may not end there.....

Noooooo :(

emmet02 wrote: »
    puke

It gets worse:

@tonuleen:
    @PPaudioteam Collarbone gone, tournament over I'm afraid. And the front row issues may not end there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It gets worse:

@tonuleen:
    @PPaudioteam Collarbone gone, tournament over I'm afraid. And the front row issues may not end there.....

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Picassso

most unfortunate for Ireland
    Best has been performing like a lion, a lion in his prime, ravaging all before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

What a nightmare.

Taking on Wales would have been 50/50 anyway but without Best, Wales would probably be favourites. Ireland still perform best as underdog.

If it is true, at least the coaches would have a full week to work with Cronin practicing lineouts and scrums. It would be worse to lose a player late in the week.

*straining to see a bright side*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

puke

It gets worse:

@tonuleen:

It was insane that Kidmey didn't make a raft of changes on 60 given we were 20 points clear (he waited until 70) - I know he couldnt have replaced everyone but getting some of them off the pitch for the last 20 given the chances the Italian discipline would go seemed like a no brainer tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

who's the other worry!?

ughghghghg

padser wrote: »
    It was insane that Kidmey didn't make a raft of changes on 60 given we were 20 points clear (he waited until 70) - I know he couldnt have replaced everyone but getting some of them off the pitch for the last 20 given the chances the Italian discipline would go seemed like a no brainer tbh

Relax dude
    he took POC off, he took BOD off
    you cant wrap everyone in cotton wool
    this is a feature of tournament rugby
    you lose players to injury
    ireland have been coasting up to now

who's the other worry!?

ughghghghg

Can only be Cian Healy or Ross with best already allegedly gone.

If 2 of our front row are missing, we talking about a mammoth performance to beat the welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

padser wrote: »

Well that wouldn't have mattered anyway because best went off on 53 minutes so you cant be blaming the management that he wasn't taken off at 60 because he was already gone by then and O Connell was taken off on 59 mins.

If we need to play tony buckley for any amount of time against wales we are well and truly cooked.
    Cooked i say.

Picassso wrote: »
    Relax dude
    he took POC off, he took BOD off
    you cant wrap everyone in cotton wool
    this is a feature of tournament rugby
    you lose players to injury
    ireland have been coasting up to now

Good point that DK can't wrap everybody in cotton wool. He can't guess who will get injured, and Best is a senior player who we needed to guide the ship home.

However we've not exactly been coasting with injuries - we have lost two first team team starters (Flannery & Wallace), and had two more struggling (POC and Darcy) even before this Best injury. That's five senior players either out or carrying injuries, plus a sixth (Jones) who is a talented squad player. That is more than our fair share.

Flannery granted is a big loss, on and off the field
    Wallace also - altho he would not have been in starting 15
    POC has picked up a slight knock - nothing too major, precautionary resting, he'll be fine
    Darcy seems to be back motoring
    Adding Feliz to the list is a bit of a stretch tho - prob 6th choice FB, just before Girvan Dempsey / Gavin Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Actually I think he would have been. He's a big loss but the backrow today is easily our strongest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I wouldn't be sure about that at all.
    Adding Feliz to the list is a bit of a stretch tho - prob 6th choice FB, just before Girvan Dempsey / Gavin Duffy

Is this a wind-up or what? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

would flannery have been ahead of Best, Best is/was on the form of his life and neither have really been head and shoulders above the other in the last couple of years.
    i think jones might have gone to the world cup but murphy i reckon is the better option. too early for jones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

If this news is true, it's put a real dampener on the result. Best has been brilliant for the team, always well up there in the ratings. Losing him, while obviously not as bad as losing SOB/Ross/Healy/etc, is still a big blow and will definitely have a major impact on how we play against Wales.

POC has picked up a slight knock - nothing too major, precautionary resting, he'll be fine
    Darcy seems to be back motoring

Think we'll have to disagree on that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Tweeted an hour ago by Tony Leen, Irish Examiner sports editor:
    Very reliable team source in New Zealand tells me "99% certain" Rory Best is out of World Cup q final with shoulder injury. Mike Sherry?
    And
    Collarbone gone, tournament over I'm afraid. And the front row issues may not end there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This is really awful news and, if true about the other front row worries, could spell disaster for us. I've been critical of Best in the past but he's been excellent in the tournament so far. Would be a terrible thing to happen to the chap.

Let's just hope it's not as bad as feared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ross and Healy were both on the pitch after the final whistle for photos so no injury can be that bad hopefully. Healy, who was taken off with 8 minutes left, looked to be in great spirits and did a lap, applauding the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Terrible news if true. I have championed Rory for years on here and elsewhere and always maintained he was our most complete hooker. I am delighted he was finally getting the credit he richly deserved. This is just awful news for Irish and Ulster rugby as he will be out the game for some time. Hoping against hope that someone has got their wires crossed somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Collarbone gone, tournament over I'm afraid. And the front row issues may not end there.....

What the hell does that mean?? I won't be able to sleep now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ambid wrote: »

Good point that DK can't wrap everybody in cotton wool. He can't guess who will get injured, and Best is a senior player who we needed to guide the ship home.

It's not a question of guessing who will get injured - it's about being sensible with your key players once Italy were beaten.

Im open to correction on exact timings as I havnt re watched the match, but from memory we were 20 points up with 60 mins gone and 4 of our 7 subs were still on the bench with 70 mins gone.

That's not good player management in anyones book.

EDIT: just so it's clear, I'm not saying that the best injury could have been avoided - just that kidney was slow to get key players off the park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Have to tend to agree. Why is someone like BOD left on the pitch when we're winning 26-6 until the 74th minute? And Healy, who had treatment again today after recovering from a damaged eye 2 weeks ago left on until the 72nd? Just seems really pushing it.

Advertisement