Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

toggingout wrote: »
    Just an idea but why don't we hold a single county final days in years when it is pretty certain no teams will be involved in both. It would a great day for all four teams and at least give local football exposure to people who were never at a football club championship. The county board would hardly lose much revenue because of the increase in attendance, might save a bit on costs. I know some other counties do this.

Might be an idea, but the hurling is supposed to be in Dungarvan this year, but if the county final was say De La Salle and Ballygunner would they go to Dungarvan to play the game. I know the football is supposed to be in Walsh Park this year, but I cant see saw Stradbally, Ballinacourty or The Nire travel down for the game, as they will want to play in Fraher Field where they are more used to playing and also much closer to home for their supporters.

Yeah they got to both finals in 2008, and were beaten in both finals in 2008.

This is a better DLS side than 2008 anyway, but that aside I think it's just a monumental ask to win both in one year.

But your question is valid, and in the case of Abbeyside and Stradbally they weren't successful. It's been a problem for Fourmile for the last number of years as they've run Lismore and Ballygunner clos in the knockout stages, and in 2008 they lost by a single point to DLS in the quarters/ They've a better team now and time will tell whether they have the belief and the ability to push on to the next level.

That last round of games in Group 1 (Ballygunner and co) in the hurling is going to be so exciting, only two weeks away now :)

Wasn't that a controversial match. Am i right in saying that Tim O'Byrne who refereed that day awayed a controversial score just after the start of the second half.

comeraghs wrote: »
    Camogie Fixture

Saturday 25th August 2012

All Ireland Intermediate Championship Semi Finals

Galway v Waterford @ The Gaelic Grounds, Limerick 14:00

Best of luck to the Waterford ladies on Sunday and to the footballers is it on Sunday Week in a play off to get into the All-Ireland semi final. Port Lairge Abu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Black Suir wrote: »
    Wasn't that a controversial match. Am i right in saying that Tim O'Byrne who refereed that day awayed a controversial score just after the start of the second half.

Apparently De La Salle were awarded a point that was wide, but I wasn't at the match and I didn't get that information from a neutral supporter so I dunno.

What I do know is that Liam Lawlor played full back that day, and I was told that he should play full back for Waterford. Took over a year for Davy to try him out there. Just goes to show how off the pace Fitzgerald was if others in the County were able to see these things before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Any other Waterford players hanged up their boots besides Eoin McGrath?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Does anyone have a link to a match report to the Dr Harty Cup game played between Colaiste na nDeise and Midleton CBS last October. I think the game was played in Ardmore and ended in a 3-9 to 1-14 win for Midleton CBS. If you have it would be appreciated if it could be posted on here.

Thanks.

Round five of the senior football championship to take place this weekend. Two of our local scribes, Tomas McCarthy http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/ with the Waterford News and Star, and Thomas Keane with the Munster Express, http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/ have agreed on five of the six games to be played. The games at Walsh Park on Saturday evening and at Fraher Field on Sunday evening look to be the most interesting of the weekend.

Well done to Tomas http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/ on getting six out of six last weekend. The two lads have had a quick look back on the game on their blogs today, and Thomas Keane http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/ has the times and venues for the quarter finals and relegation play off on his latest helping. The quarter finals could throw up some good games. I know the County Board are broke, but wouldn't it be a nice touch from them if they were to come up with a scheme which would allow people to attend all four games for a certain price, say €15. Anyone going into the Friday night game and paying such an amount could get a ticket which would also allow them in on Saturday. And with three games on Saturday could something be agreed to leave people see all three games. Maybe we could see people remain in the stand after the 3pm game and wait on till the 6pm game if there is no such discount in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Well done to Tomas http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/ on getting six out of six last weekend. The two lads have had a quick look back on the game on their blogs today, and Thomas Keane http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/ has the times and venues for the quarter finals and relegation play off on his latest helping. The quarter finals could throw up some good games. I know the County Board are broke, but wouldn't it be a nice touch from them if they were to come up with a scheme which would allow people to attend all four games for a certain price, say €15. Anyone going into the Friday night game and paying such an amount could get a ticket which would also allow them in on Saturday. And with three games on Saturday could something be agreed to leave people see all three games. Maybe we could see people remain in the stand after the 3pm game and wait on till the 6pm game if there is no such discount in place.
    some good games ahead alright if they can all play to their full potential, a different pricing struture would be good idea alrite, especially with all games on over two night. i will be bloody broke....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Deise Tom if you go into the Observer or Leader office they have copies of all newspapers for a long way back so they may be able to help you with that. You have the date of the game so its just the following weeks paper you'll need to see the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Tony Forristal is on Sept 1 & 2 in Waterford

https://www.facebook.com/ClubDeiseTheWaterfordGaaSupportersClub

• Advertisement

I was just reading over in AFR a little about the Tony Forristal / Sonny Walsh Tournament competitions. I was wondering does anyone have a list of the winners since the competition began. This is a great competition. If you start thinking of the names that have played in it, its amazing how many stars have come to Waterford for it right from its first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Congrats to James"Jockser" O Connor and his Carrigtwohill team on their victory over Glen Rovers tonight in the Cork SHC. They're reigning county champions and were still 6/4 with the bookies to win which seemed a bit strange. A proud Lismore man he has done wonders for this club since taking charge there 3 yrs ago and is said to be the ultimate professional in his training methods. Maybe one for the future here in Waterford? I know he was a selector with Greg Fives and Paul Flynn at u21 some years ago but he has gained a lot of experience since then.
    I was in a discussion about him earlier and it led to an interesting fact that this year the Lismore Club has 6 former players training different teams inside and outside the county! Has this ever happened before? For the record they are as follows:James O Connor- Carrigtwohill
    Sean Prendergast- Drom and Inch
    Brendan Landers- Watergrasshill
    Kieran O Gorman- Colligan
    Dave Bennett-Ferrybank
    Sean Daly-Dungourney

For the record Sean Prendergast has trained 3 different clubs in 3 different countys to win their respective SHC. His own club Lismore and Erins Own in Cork aswell as Drom/inch last year.
    Does any other club that ye know of supply this kind of"talent" to other teams
    or would it be frowned upon? I find it very strange to say the least as i do know that they struggled to get someone to take their own senior team at the start of the year!!!!

zol 2 wrote: »
    Congrats to James"Jockser" O Connor and his Carrigtwohill team on their victory over Glen Rovers tonight in the Cork SHC. They're reigning county champions and were still 6/4 with the bookies to win which seemed a bit strange. A proud Lismore man he has done wonders for this club since taking charge there 3 yrs ago and is said to be the ultimate professional in his training methods. Maybe one for the future here in Waterford? I know he was a selector with Greg Fives and Paul Flynn at u21 some years ago but he has gained a lot of experience since then.
    I was in a discussion about him earlier and it led to an interesting fact that this year the Lismore Club has 6 former players training different teams inside and outside the county! Has this ever happened before? For the record they are as follows:James O Connor- Carrigtwohill
    Sean Prendergast- Drom and Inch
    Brendan Landers- Watergrasshill
    Kieran O Gorman- Colligan
    Dave Bennett-Ferrybank
    Sean Daly-Dungourney

For the record Sean Prendergast has trained 3 different clubs in 3 different countys to win their respective SHC. His own club Lismore and Erins Own in Cork aswell as Drom/inch last year.
    Does any other club that ye know of supply this kind of"talent" to other teams
    or would it be frowned upon? I find it very strange to say the least as i do know that they struggled to get someone to take their own senior team at the start of the year!!!!

Is Cider not still playing? Dave Bennett is definitely still playing for the Junior team.

When did Jockser stop playing? Am I right in saying he was there in 2009 when they lost to Ballygunner in the County Final after a replay?

Is Cider not still playing? Dave Bennett is definitely still playing for the Junior team.

When did Jockser stop playing? Am I right in saying he was there in 2009 when they lost to Ballygunner in the County Final after a replay?

Cider is only coming back from a hand injury and jockser and Dave Bennett are both back playing with the juniors for the year. He was fullback against Ballygunner in 2009 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I was just reading over in AFR a little about the Tony Forristal / Sonny Walsh Tournament competitions. I was wondering does anyone have a list of the winners since the competition began. This is a great competition. If you start thinking of the names that have played in it, its amazing how many stars have come to Waterford for it right from its first year.

I'm just going to give Div. 1 champions since it began:
    1982: KK
    1983: Tipp
    1984: Limerick
    1985: Cork
    1986: Clare
    1987: Tipp
    1988: Tipp
    1989: Galway
    1990: Clare
    1991: Tipp
    1992: Galway
    1993: Tipp
    1994: Galway
    1995: Tipp
    1996: Tipp
    1997: Wexford
    1998: Cork
    1999: Galway
    2000: Cork
    2001: Tipp
    2002: Limerick
    2003: KK
    2004: Tipp
    2005: KK
    2006: Wexford
    2007: Waterford
    2008: Cork
    2009: Tipp
    2010: Waterford
    2011: Cork (I think)

Interesting to see that there seems to be a correlation between us doing well in this tournament in the last few years (winning it in 07 and 10 and being beaten in the final in 04, 05 and 06) and our minors doing well in the last few years. Really looking forward to this next weekend, always good entertainment. Was reading that thread on AFR and an interesting stat was that the winners of this tournament never went on to win AI minor 4 years later. I think this goes to show that there's just so many variables between lads of 14-18 years-lads doing well now might not reach their potential in four years time (or even playing at all for that matter), lads who would be average now could really come on in four years time etc. etc.
    I think this grade is more about player development and getting a taste of playing intercounty and if 3 or 4 players from the TF go on to become decent minors four years later, it wouldn't be bad going at all IMO.

Anyone have the TF and SW teams at hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Shamelessly robbed from AFR, times and venues for next weekend:

Tony Forristal / Sonny Walsh Tournament 2012
    Saturday 1st september
    Sponsored By Club Deise

Division 1 - Groups 1 & 4
    Kilkenny, Limerick,Tipperary / Clare, Antrim, Galway

Venue: St. Saviours
    Games are 40 minutes duration
    11.00 Kilkenny V Limerick
    11.50 Clare V Antrim
    13.00 Kilkenny V Tipperary
    13.50 Clare V Galway
    15.00 Limerick V Tipperary
    15.50 Antrim V Galway

18.00 Semi - Final - Winners Group 1 V Winners Group 4

Division 1 - Groups 2 & 3
    Dublin, Wexford, Offaly / Laois, Waterford, Cork

Venue: Mount Sion
    11.00 Dublin V Wexford
    11.50 Laois V Waterford
    13.00 Dublin V Offaly
    13.50 Laois V Cork
    15.00 Wexford V Offaly
    15.50 Waterford V Cork

18.00 Semi - Final - Winners Group 2 V Winners Group 3

Division 2 - Groups 2 & 3
    Kilkenny, Waterford, Galway / Dublin, Tipperary, Cork

Venue: De La Salle, Gracedieu
    11.00 Kilkenny V Waterford
    11.50 Dublin V Tipperary
    13.00 Kilkenny V Galway
    13.50 Dublin V Cork
    15.00 Waterford V Galway
    15.50 Tipperary V Cork

18.00 Semi - Final - Winners Group 2 V Winners Group 3

Division 2 - Group 1
    Wexford, Limerick, Clare
    Venue: - Walsh Park
    11.00 Wexford V Limerick
    13.00 Wexford V Clare
    15.00 Limerick V Clare

18.00 Semi - Final - Winners Group 1 V Overall runner up

Finals Sunday 2nd September - Venue - Walsh Park
    Division 2 - 11.00 am
    Division 1 - 12 30 pm

You'd expect ourselves and Cork to take care of Laois in our TF group and then it coming down to that final game between the two to determine who goes through. SW team have two tough games v Galway and KK. Not sure how good the teams we have are or even what teams are meant to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

when to co shc back up and runnin? waterford out of the championship with the guts of a month now...

when to co shc back up and runnin? waterford out of the championship with the guts of a month now...

This weekend. Given the extra time they had, they decided to give a week off for the County players, two weeks of football (because there was one round less played and it just made sense to get it finished) and then this weekend as a break for dual clubs, and then have the hurling this coming weekend. The Quarter finals of the hurling will be the following weekend, and then there is a weeks breaks before the Senior football quarter finals.

Anyone any betting on the hurling games for the weekend? some interesting ties and i'm looking to have a bit of a flutter just to add a bit of interest!

zol 2 wrote: »
    Anyone any betting on the hurling games for the weekend? some interesting ties and i'm looking to have a bit of a flutter just to add a bit of interest!

I'm not betting but I'll give you my predictions, if it helps.

In Group 1, I reckon Lismore will beat Ballygunner in what should be the game of the weekend. Many people think Lismore won't be up for the game, but I don't think they can afford to lose here. If they are happy to sit back and let Ballygunner win because they're already through then they are very foolish indeed. A loss could see them slip down to 3rd or even 4th, meaning they would play De La Salle or Fourmilewater. Much is being made of Brian Sully and Shane Sully coming back, but it might be worth remembering that they played when they lost to Dungarvan. In fact I think they may have been involved in the Ballyduff defeat too. Lismore to shade it.

I think Dungarvan have more hurling in them than Passage, and they are determined after the disaster of the football campaign to make up for it. Eoin Kelly is an injury concern, all things being equal I see this as Dungarvan's to lose.

Abbeyside against Ballyduff Upper should also be a good game and the one I'm having most difficulty calling. Adrian Power is stateside, but the Observer hinted at a possibility of him coming home for the game. Whether that is just pure rumour or not I couldn't say. Abbeyside are missing Sean O'Hare, and two others, possibly one of the Gormans, so that could be a factor. I think a draw can't be ruled it out, but if I had to pick one I'd say Abbeyside.

Group 2 has two games that should be bankers. I have not even the slightest doubt about DLS beating Dunhill, and it's likely to be fairly hefty too. They're playing like men possessed at the minute.

I think Fourmilewater have too much for Tallow, but having already qualified top it will be interesting to see are some players rested this weekend. Still, Fourmile to win.

Mount Sion and Roanmore is the game worth going too if you're looking for one where the stakes are high on Sunday. Assuming De La Salle win, a win for either side would say the loser out of the competition, but a draw would mean both qualify at the expense of Tallow should they lose to FMW. I'm going with Mount Sion on this one.

If I am right, the quarter final pairings would be as follows:

Lismore v Tallow (repeat of last year which Tallow won)
    Fourmilewater v Ballygunner (repeat of last year which Ballygunner won)
    Dungarvan v Mount Sion
    De La Salle v Abbeyside

And the relegation batlle would be between Ballyduff Upper and Dunhill.

• Advertisement

I'd be going along those lines myself Mountainlad but i'd be wary of the Lismore prediction for the simple reason they're missing 4 of their 6 backs from the last championship outing.Shane Kearney has emigrated,Michael Coleman has cruciate trouble,Stevie Barry has just had a cartilage operation and Michael Fitzgerald is only coming back from a broken thumb and realistically they're thin on the ground when it comes to filling these players positions.
    I think Abbeyside will beat Ballyduff aswell and if Kelly is out for Passage then Dungarvan could end up topping the group yet.
    Would Roanmore ever turn over Mt Sion? Hard to see it happening but it won't be for the want of trying!
    De La Salle and Dunhill will be a non event and Fourmilewater will win pulling up against Tallow. The Ballymac men were to play Carrickshock tonight did anyone hear how that went?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

.J. Kavanagh & Sons. Senior Hurling Championship Round 5.

Saturday 1st September. All at 6.30pm

Ballygunner v Lismore in Fraher Field
    Passage v Dungarvan in Leamybrien
    Abbeyside v Ballyduff Upper in Cappoquin

Sunday 2nd September. All at 3.30pm

... ...
    Dunhill v De La Salle in Carriganore
    Mount Sion v Roanmore in Walsh Park
    Fourmilewater v Tallow in Fraher Field.

Best of luck to Eoin Kelly, one of the most technically gifted hurlers this county has ever produced, who announced his retirement from intercounty hurling at the age of 30.

Thanks for the memories

I would also like to wish Eoin all the best of luck in the future. Hopefully we will see him in the Passage colours for some time to come.

As most will be aware, I like to keep up with what the bloggers are saying each week. I have noticed that Tomas McCarthy http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/ of the News and Star in his blog does not have his weekend previews up yet, but Thomas Keane http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/ with the Munster Express does, and he feels that there could be a few twists and turns left in the championship this weekend. It would be great if there was as it would keep it wide open right up to Sunday tea-time as to who would be in the quarter finals. Its a pity to a degree that the group one games are going ahead first as there could be many more twists in this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

As its transfer deadline day in soccer, if u cud buy players for ur own club in the county who would they be, but they must be from waterford and not on the senior county team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd say Jake Dillon or Eoin Madigan would have to be well up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Waterford U.16 A panel for this w/e Hurling based in Moneygall, Playing Galway 10.30am Offally 12.30.
    Shane Bennett St. Carthages
    Craig Brown Sacred Heart
    Ryan Coady Roanmore
    Adam Crawford Cois Bhríde
    Michael Cronin Ardmore
    Eamon Crotty Abbeyside
    Cormac Curran Brickeys
    Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    Sean Daly Abbeyside
    Aaron Donnelly Dungarvan
    Conor Gleeson Four-Mile-Water
    Eddie Hayden Ballygunner
    Sean Hogan Passage
    Dessie Hutchinson Ballygunner
    Jack McCarthy De la Salle
    Jack Mullaney Stradbally
    Shane Murray Cappoquin
    Edmond O Halloran Clashmore
    David Prendergast St. Carthages
    Colm Roche Cois Bhríde
    Shane Ryan De la Salle
    Mark Shanahan Sacred Heart
    M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    Sean Tracey Passage

Top drawer wrote: »
    As its transfer deadline day in soccer, if u cud buy players for ur own club in the county who would they be, but they must be from waterford and not on the senior county team

stephen bennett (ballysaggart) the kind of young player every club would like to see coming throught the ranks

john o'leary (mount sion / ballyduff upper)

• Advertisement

deisedub wrote: »
    Waterford U.16 A panel for this w/e Hurling based in Moneygall, Playing Galway 10.30am Offally 12.30.
    Shane Bennett St. Carthages
    Craig Brown Sacred Heart
    Ryan Coady Roanmore
    Adam Crawford Cois Bhríde
    Michael Cronin Ardmore
    Eamon Crotty Abbeyside
    Cormac Curran Brickeys
    Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    Sean Daly Abbeyside
    Aaron Donnelly Dungarvan
    Conor Gleeson Four-Mile-Water
    Eddie Hayden Ballygunner
    Sean Hogan Passage
    Dessie Hutchinson Ballygunner
    Jack McCarthy De la Salle
    Jack Mullaney Stradbally
    Shane Murray Cappoquin
    Edmond O Halloran Clashmore
    David Prendergast St. Carthages
    Colm Roche Cois Bhríde
    Shane Ryan De la Salle
    Mark Shanahan Sacred Heart
    M.J. Sutton Ferrybank
    Sean Tracey Passage

these lads won the Tony Forristal 2 years ago if Im not mistaken?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement