Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Didymo bloom in rivers(rock snot)

• 27-07-2012 6:18pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48

Has anyone else noticed greenish slime cover all the bottom of river steam. I look it up and i'm petty sure it Didymo or rock snot as it has being present in the river for the last mouth!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yuck. I can't believe you picked that up. I feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Sure it wasn't people blowing noses off the bridges?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

i'm sure it not off a bridge! but I can think of some other name to call it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

conor86 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed greenish slime cover all the bottom of river steam. I look it up and i'm petty sure it Didymo or rock snot as it has being present in the river for the last mouth!

Didymo bloom is quite common in Ireland. In fact Ireland is one of the European countries with the greatest concentrations of it. It does not poison water or make it unfit for consumption, but in rivers known for trout and salmon it may potentially have an impact over time as it causes huge growth in certain invertebrates and retards population growth in others. It also can have, if it exists in large enough quantities an effect on the PH level of the stream or river which of course has the knock on effect of preventing certain animal and plantlife from using the waterway.

Might I ask what river or stream you found what you found in? I know it will be a shallow, slow moving river or stream if it is Didymo bloom and it will have to be very clear water as well. Was it like soggy cotton wool to the touch or did it feel like something else?

Advertisement