Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 2014

• 27-11-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there, looking to do my first Marathon early next year. Currently running up to 23k in about 2hr25. My Question is- Is the Connemarathon a bit too tough to do as my first marathon. I'd like to do one that has a lot of participants so my chances of being paddy last may not be that high and I don't find myself alone on the course.
    Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Connemarathon is fine for a first marathon, as long as you are not too focused on achieving a good time. Based on your time for 23k (assuming you're running at easy pace), you'd currently looking at a 4:30 - 5 hour marathon. Looking at the results, that would put you around 500th out of 674 runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DMBFan

Thanks for that, yeah not looking to break any records but was hoping to hit the 4hr mark- think I need to speed up a bit though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hades11

Connemarathon is a great event, possibly one of the most scenic you could ever do. One thing to consider is that because of the remote location there are very few supporters lining the course to cheer you on. My first marathon was belfast and i have to say that the roar of the crowd really did help when i was finding it tough.

Hades11 wrote: »
    Connemarathon is a great event, possibly one of the most scenic you could ever do. One thing to consider is that because of the remote location there are very few supporters lining the course to cheer you on. My first marathon was belfast and i have to say that the roar of the crowd really did help when i was finding it tough.

Thanks, didn't think to check NI race calendars, just looking it up now and I'm definately considering it- Was originally deciding between Connemarathon, Run Kildare or Limerick. Decisions decisions... it would also mean I have 4 more weeks to work on my speed and stamina

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cork in June would probably have better crowd support that the others you have mentioned.

TbL

• Advertisement

Cork in June would probably have better crowd support that the others you have mentioned.

TbL

Thanks, too many to choose from now! Need to do a bit of research on this one. I want to register before end of year, first step to my New Years resolution - complete a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

I'm torn between signing up for the Connemarathon half in April or to go for the Tralee half St. Patricks weekend. I'm from Tralee and doing the 10 miler in February so wouldn't mind seeing some new scenery for my first half marathon. Then depending how I get on push on for the Cork or Derry full in June. If anyone has any feedback on the Derry marathon that'd be great also.

I'm thinking of waiting until I have the 10 mile in February to decide. Would the Connemarathon be likely to sell out before this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

I'm thinking of waiting until I have the 10 mile in February to decide. Would the Connemarathon be likely to sell out before this point?

Yes - early-mid january usually. But I think I read here that Derry sells out very quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yes, it will almost certainly be sold out by then.

Thanks guys. .

Has Has given me a kick up the bum and decide which one to go for! Will decide in the next few weeks and get on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

After much debating like yourself around this time last year I eventually decided to do this as my first marathon. You'll be absolutely fine, there's only 2 "hard" parts, around miles 12-13 and at the end around 22-24. You won't be alone on the course either as you'll meet the back end of half marathon field during the second half of the race as they start later than the full, halfway along the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Outside

It was my first marathon back in 2012! No parking at the start so your shipped out from Galway City in loads of buses. It actually add's to the build up, you end up sitting right beside fellow marathoners and get to share the nerves. On the way back then you get to hear all the stories, good and bad, first hand. Careful with drinking too much water before the bus out though, it's approx 1hr out and it's a long time to wait if you drank waaaay too much water like I did!

For the record I went on to do it again this year and plan to do it again in 2014!

It's def a PB course for you if you finish! Hill isn't too bad, some spectacle to see the row of color winding it's way up ahead through the heart of Connemara, very pretty.

Enjoy!

statss wrote: »
    After much debating like yourself around this time last year I eventually decided to do this as my first marathon. You'll be absolutely fine, there's only 2 "hard" parts, around miles 12-13 and at the end around 22-24. You won't be alone on the course either as you'll meet the back end of half marathon field during the second half of the race as they start later than the full, halfway along the course.

The Connemara one or Belfast? Were you running for long and often before you decided to go for the full? I'm running just a year- usually go at my own pace. I'm far from a sprinter. Started running to keep fit and then just increased my distance and frequency. I run on my own, and have just been introduced to boards and reading through many of these type of threads- feeling a little overwhelmed now actually.... - lots of jargon and abbreviations I never heard of before!! I normally just log my runs on map my run and compare total times and distance.
    I've never actually read up on running before- looks like there's a lot more to running than just running...

Outside wrote: »
    It was my first marathon back in 2012! No parking at the start so your shipped out from Galway City in loads of buses. It actually add's to the build up, you end up sitting right beside fellow marathoners and get to share the nerves. On the way back then you get to hear all the stories, good and bad, first hand. Careful with drinking too much water before the bus out though, it's approx 1hr out and it's a long time to wait if you drank waaaay too much water like I did!

For the record I went on to do it again this year and plan to do it again in 2014!

It's def a PB course for you if you finish! Hill isn't too bad, some spectacle to see the row of color winding it's way up ahead through the heart of Connemara, very pretty.

Enjoy!

Ok, I'm convinced- I think. My 20week schedule started Monday, but I know I will miss days here and there, especially Christmas week... Will sign up Jan 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

DMBFan wrote: »
    The Connemara one or Belfast? Were you running for long and often before you decided to go for the full? I'm running just a year- usually go at my own pace. I'm far from a sprinter. Started running to keep fit and then just increased my distance and frequency. I run on my own, and have just been introduced to boards and reading through many of these type of threads- feeling a little overwhelmed now actually.... - lots of jargon and abbreviations I never heard of before!! I normally just log my runs on map my run and compare total times and distance.
    I've never actually read up on running before- looks like there's a lot more to running than just running...

Connemara. I was running for just under a year at that stage and like yourself was just using map my run to log my sporadic efforts. My wife got me a garmin for christmas and that spurred me on. I had originally only signed up for the Conn half before changing my mind in Jan and going for the full. I actually logged about the whole experience if you fancied reading the week by week blow of how I prepared for it....if I can do it anyone can....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056844649

The plan I followed is this one : very suitable for beginners

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

I know finding this forum & reading other's logs really helped me get going, it's a great resource.

statss wrote: »
    Connemara. I was running for just under a year at that stage and like yourself was just using map my run to log my sporadic efforts. My wife got me a garmin for christmas and that spurred me on. I had originally only signed up for the Conn half before changing my mind in Jan and going for the full. I actually logged about the whole experience if you fancied reading the week by week blow of how I prepared for it....if I can do it anyone can....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056844649

The plan I followed is this one : very suitable for beginners

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

I know finding this forum & reading other's logs really helped me get going, it's a great resource.

Wow- been reading most of your blog all last night and again this morning. Excellent progress and determination!!! you inspire me to put "racing" into my running. I have to admit though, I'm not in anyway competitive, but I do get great delight in achievement. I Might look into local clubs though, it might spur me on with speed work - can't see myself doing this solo.
    I'll have to start dropping hints for a Garmin for Christmas too I think.

Thanks a million for sharing your journey

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Hi, I ran connemarathon in 2009 and it was my first. I say go for it. As achievements go, in my opinion finishing connemarathon rates higher than any other marathon in Ireland. It is tough but they all are tough, if it was easy everyone would be doing it !!!!!
    Your enthusiasm has inspired me to enter it again. Hopefully I will see you there. If I can be of any help in any way you can pm anytime.

Good luck !!!!!

Just signed up for the Connemara Half! My first half, very excited to start training towards it now. :)

Just signed up for the Connemara Half! My first half, very excited to start training towards it now. :)

Very Good, no turning back now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Hi all,

I will be doing doing the full this year. It will be my first also! I am currently training 3 short runs and 1 saturday long run!? with some sprint work and weights in the off days!

Is there anything specific to recommend for this in terms of training or just get the mileage up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement