Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

honda cub help please

• 06-01-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

i have restored a honda cub recently and i have many questions on insureance ect
    *i was wondering how much will it be to get insured in a honda cub 50 at 16 ?
    *the bike is 1982 making it 31 years old and its nothern reg
    I have planned on vrting it and i think i would be able to get zv plates on it :) *how much is the vrt and is it much hassel many forms etc ?
    *does this leave tax cheaper aswell :)
    open to all advice :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

pauric141 wrote: »
    i have restored a honda cub recently and i have many questions on insureance ect
    *i was wondering how much will it be to get insured in a honda cub 50 at 16 ?
    *the bike is 1982 making it 31 years old and its nothern reg
    I have planned on vrting it and i think i would be able to get zv plates on it :) *how much is the vrt and is it much hassel many forms etc ?
    *does this leave tax cheaper aswell :)
    open to all advice :D

Insurance at 16 wont be cheap i would say €1000 +

Vrt is €125 which is the standard rate once the bike is over 10 years old

Because the bike is 31 years old tax will be vintage €28 a year

You will be required by law to do IBT training before you ride the bike on the public road

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pauric141

wow iv heard vrt is way cheaper than that :( it couldnt be 1000 euro for a honda 50 thats mad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

wow iv heard vrt is way cheaper than that :( it couldnt be 1000 euro for a honda 50 thats mad
    I also have a 1982 honda 50.
    Ive got an exorrt cert for it so must vrt it. Last I checked, the vrt was 10 to 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Insurance €1000

what about 3rd party fire and theft would it be any cheaper ? . can i get the bike regestered in someone elses name and have it open driven ?

• Advertisement

what about 3rd party fire and theft would it be any cheaper ? . can i get the bike regestered in someone elses name and have it open driven ?

The problem arises with a named driver in the policy

if he is 16 there would be a big loading on the policy to add him to it no matter who the bike is registerd to

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Insurance €1000

+1:rolleyes:

so what about classic or vintage insurance then is it any cheaper ? looking for a loophole here people , what about northern ireland whats the insurance rates like there ?

so what about classic or vintage insurance then is it any cheaper ? looking for a loophole here people , what about northern ireland whats the insurance rates like there ?

The loopholes are being closed all the time

if your on a learner permit you cant insure the bike outside the state

A learner permit is not accepted outside the state that issued it.

No licence = no insurance

Then the whole issue of ibt etc if you have a learner permit

If you have a full licence you would still have to prove residence etc:(

i can sort out a northern address easy enough we have a farm in fermanagh so i can prove residents ,could i get a northern licence and insure on that ? :) would save me vrting and tax is only 16 pound . in england you can get insured on an auto for about 250 pound but you have to wait to 17 for a geared bike :( unless it is differnt to the north

• Advertisement

i can sort out a northern address easy enough we have a farm in fermanagh so i can prove residents ,could i get a northern licence and insure on that ? :) would save me vrting and tax is only 16 pound . in england you can get insured on an auto for about 250 pound but you have to wait to 17 for a geared bike :( unless it is differnt to the north

You are still going to run into the IBT issue or cbt as its called in the north
    Its mandatory in the north since november 2011
    North or south its compulsery training before you ride a bike on a public road.

again if you get a northern prov licence its not valid in the south
    and if you ride the bike in the south you insurace would not be valid either
    No licence (not valid in the south) means no insurance

I hate to be pissing on your parade here but thats the way it is:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

can i get the bike regestered in someone elses name and have it open driven ?

It would cost a fortune anyway. Open drive is usually over age 25 without a huge loading. If you are the main rider then you should be the policyholder otherwise the insurers can cancel your policy. Believe me, they are wise to this, after all the boy racer brigade have been trying this on for years.

Really not a good sign to be starting out your career as a rider by asking how to get around the law....

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    It would cost a fortune anyway. Open drive is usually over age 25 without a huge loading. If you are the main rider then you should be the policyholder otherwise the insurers can cancel your policy. Believe me, they are wise to this, after all the boy racer brigade have been trying this on for years.

Really not a good sign to be starting out your career as a rider by asking how to get around the law....

+1

Advertisement