Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

machalla wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I can't see them listed but are there any add-ons for unlimited landline calls or better landline call rates? Or plans for an add-on/plan that would make this available?

Thanks.

Hi there,

We dont have addons yet but we are loking at something in this space to be delivered over the next few months.

regards
    Paul

Cromwelly wrote: »
    Paul

Comparing Irish mobile contracts, can you clarify what I'd be paying per MMS, and whether it's different for a 12 month vs 18 month contract at €35 pay monthly (500/500).
    The Tesco website isn't very clear on this, the 12 month tab states "0" and the 18 month tab doesn't mention MMS at all.

TIA

hi there

Tesco Mobile to TEsco Mobile MMS is free and to other operators its 20c per MMS

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

hi there

Tesco Mobile to TEsco Mobile MMS is free and to other operators its 20c per MMS

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul, great to get such a quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

machalla wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I can't see them listed but are there any add-ons for unlimited landline calls or better landline call rates? Or plans for an add-on/plan that would make this available?

Thanks.

Hi Machalla,

If you need unlimited landline calls then your best bet is eMobile.

eMobile give you unlimited landline calls with most of their bill pay packages.

Also eMobile give unlimited landline calls with their prepay packages when you top up by 20 EUR and opt in to one of their top up bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Question for Paul:

Thinking of getting a phone and tesco sim. Can get them for both if us...

Need to send many texts and call often to one particular person who lives near the NI border so therefore their signal is UK.

At the moment we both use vodafone for this so it is free for me to phone him and text him.... and for him it is free to receive calls and texts but costs him 13c to send texts and I do the calling. This is of course only if we have both done the minimum monthly top-up of €20. He has to keep topping up throughout the month because of the price of texts.....

Would this be cheaper with Tesco?

Is there a way to have free texts and calls between the two phones with tesco for doing a minimum top-up or monthly rate?

Hope this is clear - thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Fungus wrote: »
    Hi Machalla,

If you need unlimited landline calls then your best bet is eMobile.

eMobile give you unlimited landline calls with most of their bill pay packages.

Also eMobile give unlimited landline calls with their prepay packages when you top up by 20 EUR and opt in to one of their top up bundles.

Cheers Fungus,

My main issue is lack of signal at home which is irritating. Currently with 3 I have no signal whatsoever in the house. Meteor/Emobile in the past has been the same although I may have to check again. O2 is so-so working most of the time and Vodafone is generally reliable (although that too can drop signal and its the best of them).

Thats why Tesco may suit me quite well if I could get a cheap landline package as I make a lot of calls to landlines. I'd consider emobile/meteor if it weren't for the reception issue. Its annoying as it tends to mean you can't go for the best priced packages at times.

Thanks for the suggestion in any case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

snowdaze wrote: »

Need to send many texts and call often to one particular person who lives near the NI border so therefore their signal is UK.

At the moment we both use vodafone for this so it is free for me to phone him and text him.... and for him it is free to receive calls and texts but costs him 13c to send texts and I do the calling. This is of course only if we have both done the minimum monthly top-up of €20. He has to keep topping up throughout the month because of the price of texts.....

Tesco do not offer roaming bundles nor free UK roaming.

Your best value bet is 3 for both parties.

With 3 if you pick up a 3 UK signal, you still get charged RoI rates as they offer free roaming, including top up bundles, in the UK.

Also, with 3 you get unlimited text messages when you top up by 20 EUR so neither party pays for the texts regardless of a UK signal or RoI signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Fungus wrote: »
    Tesco do not offer roaming bundles nor free UK roaming.

Your best value bet is 3 for both parties.

With 3 if you pick up a 3 UK signal, you still get charged RoI rates as they offer free roaming, including top up bundles, in the UK.

Also, with 3 you get unlimited text messages when you top up by 20 EUR so neither party pays for the texts regardless of a UK signal or RoI signal.

thanks very much Fungus!

I am off to the three site now to look into this...cheers!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Hi Paul,

I have been trying to sign up to the €20 Sim only offer that you have but it keeps telling me that the offer is unavailable at this time and that I should try the capped plan offer.

I tried calling up about this and even after speaking with a supervisor I was told that the system has decided I cannot have the offer and that's the end of it.

I knew there was something a bit odd with this so I got my partner and 3 other friends to try from their own pc's in different locations and see if they could get it. No one could get the offer, it seems to be giving everyone the same message.

Why are Tesco's not allowing anyone to sign up to their Sim only offers?

Regards,

Deisedevil.

Edit: Actually, if anyone else sees this could you try and select the 20 a month sim only offer: http://shop.tescomobile.ie/SIM-only-plans.aspx Then enter your details (doesn't sign you up top anything) and try and see if it brings you to the payment stage or does it tell you that the offer is unavailable to you and the offers you the Capped Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 n3lly

deisedevil wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I have been trying to sign up to the €20 Sim only offer that you have but it keeps telling me that the offer is unavailable at this time and that I should try the capped plan offer.

I tried calling up about this and even after speaking with a supervisor I was told that the system has decided I cannot have the offer and that's the end of it.

I knew there was something a bit odd with this so I got my partner and 3 other friends to try from their own pc's in different locations and see if they could get it. No one could get the offer, it seems to be giving everyone the same message.

Why are Tesco's not allowing anyone to sign up to their Sim only offers?

Regards,

Deisedevil.

Edit: Actually, if anyone else sees this could you try and select the 20 a month sim only offer: http://shop.tescomobile.ie/SIM-only-plans.aspx Then enter your details (doesn't sign you up top anything) and try and see if it brings you to the payment stage or does it tell you that the offer is unavailable to you and the offers you the Capped Plan.

Deisedevil I've had the same problem but not with the sim only plan.

I tried to sign up to an 18 month contract (€55 p/m) tonight. Initially I tried signing up online. But having been rejected, I decided to call them on the phone.

I spoke to a nice man there who took all my details down and surprisingly I got rejected again. I asked why and was told that each application is vetted by 'the system' and if it deems the applicant to be a risk it would deny the applicant from signing up.

If I'm frank I was insulted and felt discriminated.

Here are some of my details which deemed me unsuitable to afford a 55 euro rolling contract for 18 months.

I'm 28,
    Live at home with folks as I'm a mature student (Final year).
    Have lived there for 10 years +.
    Have been with my bank for 10 years +.

Supplied home address etc etc..

I'm absolutely flabbergasted. (yet not surprised in a way) That such a crude vetting system is in place, The gentleman I was speaking to wasn't able to override this simple Yes or No system.

No where was I asked what kind of income I had coming in. The fact that I'm officially a student does not mean that I do not work. (I pull ~€300 p/w in from a part time job). Not a lot if I lived out of home but I pay rent etc and have paid my way for a long long time now.

The fact that I've been on bill paying contract for the past 9 years has no relevance here either.

So in the end because I live with my parents as I decided to go back to University even though I'm 28 years of age has meant I've been denied to sign up.

When I asked to speak to someone else I was told that they wouldn't be able to do anything for me.

I'm tempted to write in to Tesco Mobile, asking them how they deemed me unsuitable due to my residential status.

To be honest I've never been so angry that something that should be so simple has turned into such an arduous task. I was told (after I suggested it) that I would have to get one of my parents to sign up for me then once the account was up and running I would then have to change the billing details to my own. I even suggested hesitantly to put a parent down as a guarantor which I was told I could not do.

I'm wondering if it's even worth writing in to Tesco as I highly doubt anyone would read the letter.

I can only assume that Deisedevil has been rejected for similar reasons? Or laughably that there was a system error this evening denying sign ups.

Again, I'm not applying for a mortgage here. I simply can't understand how they are rejecting me purely on the premise that I live at home and am a student (regardless of age).

Apologies that this has turned into quite a rant.

I forgot to mention, I'm not allowed to change any of the details I provided in the first instance as 'The system' Would recognise my double entry and deny my approval again. Come May when I finish my course and find a job I'd be interested to know how the system would believe me when I tell it I'm no longer a student.

Such a shame I was genuinely looking forward to signing up to them but this is just a fantastic start and reason not to bother with the network.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

There is an issue at the moment that may be causing everyone to be rejected (going on for a few hours). It should be resolved overnight. Please try again in the am.

I cannot comment on individual cases not least on a public forum

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Hi Paul

Will you be improving your selection of handsets?

cymbaline wrote: »
    Hi Paul

Will you be improving your selection of handsets?

Yes over the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yes, Jay93. I would like it done tomorrow but unfortunately there is a project that needs to be executed before this can be achieved.

Its not just a switch on/off thing

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul fully understand that it's not an on/off switch i'm just eager to see faster speeds on the Tesco Mobile network because for me at the moment it is the only downside to the network you have great tariffs data coverage double top up's and other great offers but the speed on the 3G network is very bad i mean below 500Kbps! For a smartphone these speeds are not great for most apps altough it's grand most.

There is 3 confirmed MVNO's setting up in Ireland now and i think that if Tesco want to stay on top of things speeding up the 3G network is only for the best of best Tesco and it's customers i've no problem waiting til summer or whenever the project is complete, tough some other people may see the offers of the various new networks and switch because of a superior data service.:pac:

1750326277.png

I do find data very reliable on EDGE aswell compared to 2G data on other networks!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hi Paul. What speed is the data restricted to?

Hi Guys

There is an issue at the moment that may be causing everyone to be rejected (going on for a few hours). It should be resolved overnight. Please try again in the am.

I cannot comment on individual cases not least on a public forum

regards
    Paul

This issue with shop pay monthly sign ups is now resolved

Hi Paul. What speed is the data restricted to?

Hi there

its 1.2mbps.

regards
    Paul

This issue with shop pay monthly sign ups is now resolved

Thanks Paul. I tried it this morning, with the exact same details and it went through fine.

I get the fact that at any time there could be a system issue and these things happen, but I don't understand why there is no system in place to check it once someone makes a call to make sure it is a genuine rejection.

It was very frustrating being told that I was rejected and to try again in 6 months and that no more info could be given to me as per T&C's. The only reason I could think would be because I selected Unemployed by mistake instead of student, so it felt like I was being discriminated against just because I was unemployed. (Made redundant recently) I have been in employment since I'm 15, I have never missed bills in my life and this felt like a bit of a slap in the face.

I think this might be something Tesco's could look into as I would have been completely put off them only for I have heard their customer service is excellent and I have had nothing but good experiences with Tesco Insurance also.

Thanks Paul. I tried it this morning, with the exact same details and it went through fine.

I get the fact that at any time there could be a system issue and these things happen, but I don't understand why there is no system in place to check it once someone makes a call to make sure it is a genuine rejection.

It was very frustrating being told that I was rejected and to try again in 6 months and that no more info could be given to me as per T&C's. The only reason I could think would be because I selected Unemployed by mistake instead of student, so it felt like I was being discriminated against just because I was unemployed. (Made redundant recently) I have been in employment since I'm 15, I have never missed bills in my life and this felt like a bit of a slap in the face.

I think this might be something Tesco's could look into as I would have been completely put off them only for I have heard their customer service is excellent and I have had nothing but good experiences with Tesco Insurance also.

Actually, I meant to add. I highlighted the issue to O2. I called and explained that I had tried and 4 others had tried and all having same issue. The girl I spoke with then did a check on it and said that there was some issue in retail yesterday and that they may be linked and that they were going to get Tech to have a look into it. I have worked for years with Telecoms providers and I think it's a poor sign that a customer had to go to those lengths to highlight a problem to the provider. She said someone would call me this morning to give me an update on it, got no call.

Thanks for the feedback. Care should have been aware of the issue. It has been raised with the team.

• Advertisement

Likewise I was also able to order the following day.

It was strange that the sales person wasn't aware of a problem with the system.

Anyway my previous post is slightly irrelevant now. Not to worry.

Thanks Paul for throwing up a post explaining that there was a problem late on Friday night. Much appreciated.
    Quick question, is there an insurance option that Tesco provide? I've purchased the Samsung S2 mobile.

Cheers

n3lly wrote: »
    Likewise I was also able to order the following day.

It was strange that the sales person wasn't aware of a problem with the system.

Anyway my previous post is slightly irrelevant now. Not to worry.

Thanks Paul for throwing up a post explaining that there was a problem late on Friday night. Much appreciated.
    Quick question, is there an insurance option that Tesco provide? I've purchased the Samsung S2 mobile.

Cheers

Thanks, yes as mentioned they should have been aware. No insurance just yet but we are planning to add in the coming weeks.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

http://www.rosehillinsurances.ie/about/index.shtml

Why is this not available through tesco?

As mentioend in the previous post we are planning to add insurance in the coming weeks. The above service is not provided by us presently

regards
    Paul

Thanks, yes as mentioned they should have been aware. No insurance just yet but we are planning to add in the coming weeks.

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul!

That site looks so dodgy.. Click on the home tab and you get a 404...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭GIMP

Hi Paul
    I have already highlighted this to you but the data service in Dublin (Eastpoint area) for the past 3 weeks the service has been unusable in the evenings from 7/8pm until about 1am. I know you mentioned contention but there was no issue until 3 weeks ago. Can this please be highlighted to o2, I need the connection for work and even mobile websites barely load anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭GIMP

Bump

GIMP wrote: »
    Hi Paul
    I have already highlighted this to you but the data service in Dublin (Eastpoint area) for the past 3 weeks the service has been unusable in the evenings from 7/8pm until about 1am. I know you mentioned contention but there was no issue until 3 weeks ago. Can this please be highlighted to o2, I need the connection for work and even mobile websites barely load anymore.

Sorry GIMP, been away from my desk. Yes will raise this with O2 as its likely congestion there.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Any info on when data roaming will be available for PAYG phones? I would like to be able to fully use my Galaxy Mini when in Germany.

Advertisement