Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Shivers1 wrote: »
    Hi just had my bike stolen right outside St Vincent's Private Hospital.

Sorry to hear it - are you telling me that the shiny new private hospital with the huge shiny new car park doesn't have any secure parking for bikes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry to hear it - are you telling me that the shiny new private hospital with the huge shiny new car park doesn't have any secure parking for bikes?

There is reasonably secure parking for Staff if you walk out the front door, cross the road and its over to the left. I'm not surprised the other bike racks attract thieves though, collecting samples down there and I would often lack my bike to find that the bike beside me was tied to itself rather than the stand. At least three times over a few months or a cable lock to tie up a 1000euro bike.

Hope you find your bike Shivers1, not saying you had done these things, but once the thieves know its an easy spot they will keep coming back and take harder targets if all the easy ones are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shivers1

Thanks guys.

No It was locked properly right outside in the bike racks but the guards said that no lock is unbreakable -it's only a matter of time. But I do know what you mean about people being careless with where they lock their bikes.

There is a more secure & properly locked bike shed outside the University hospital but the same service is not available outside the Private hospital. Apparently there have been a number of bikes stolen from there recently of which until now I was unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fun

Hi all,

So someone decided to liberate me of my pride and joy early (~6:30AM) Sunday morning in the Santry area.

It's hard to miss. Picture can be found here http://i.imgur.com/1JX1d.jpg

It's had a new chain ring, cog and white chain since this picture, but everything else is the same.

There's a reward for anyone who gives any information that leads to recovery. If you see it, call Santry Garda station at 01 6664000

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Brothers avoid jail over stolen bicycles

Two Louth brothers caught trying to sell €20,000 worth of high-end stolen bicycles have avoided a jail sentence at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
    Constantin (34) and Paul Sava (30) were caught with the goods after gardaí launched a sting operation where they posed as bicycle wholesalers.
    Judge Martin Nolan sentenced Constantin Sava to two years suspended and Paul Sava to five years suspended after noting both have clean criminal records and were not the ringleaders.
    Last March Judge Nolan gave a suspended sentence to Raymond Kearney (40), Preston Park, Julianstown, Co Meath for the same offence.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1004/1224324837949.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mtdelany wrote: »
    Brothers avoid jail over stolen bicycles

Two Louth brothers caught ...
    Separate thread here - please keep the discussion on this topic over there

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lil_mo

Hello

My lovely Ammaco "Martina" bike was stolen from outside my apartment door in Rathgeal - Clondalkin yesterday 8/10/12 sometime between 7.30am and 7.30pm

This is a really distinctive bike - white frame with pink stickers, a pink basket, black and pink gel saddle.

Im offering a reward for the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

One of the Clonard Road Club boys had his bike stolen last night, its a black Paganini with Mavic wheels. That is all the info I have at the moment. If you see a similar bike for sale please pm me or contact a CRC club member. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

OK, this post isn't quite about a stolen bike, but I'm just wondering is lights being stolen off bikes a common occurence? I think this may have happened to my front LED handlebar light when it was locked in Cork city centre on Sunday. My back light frequently gets loose and falls off but the front one was well-secured. Plus, it was there when I left it. Has this happened to anyone else? It's only a small thing but I'm still like this ----> :eek: at the fact that anything that is not tied down on a bike seems to be fair game for stealing, even a light. It won't be expensive to replace, more just hassle. Does anyone else remove their bike lights and keep them with them when leaving their bike locked up? I'm going to start doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you leave your bike anywhere that people will congregate (e.g. outside a pub), then people will fiddle with it either out of boredom or badness. General rule is if you leave anything attached to your bike which can be removed without tools, then it's going to be taken or broken. If you're leaving it in public for more than 30 minutes, then take the lights off.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If you leave your bike anywhere that people will congregate (e.g. outside a pub), then people will fiddle with it either out of boredom or badness. General rule is if you leave anything attached to your bike which can be removed without tools, then it's going to be taken or broken. If you're leaving it in public for more than 30 minutes, then take the lights off.

Will do. It's CRAZY. Feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

fun wrote: »
    Hi all,

So someone decided to liberate me of my pride and joy early (~6:30AM) Sunday morning in the Santry area.

It's hard to miss. Picture can be found here http://i.imgur.com/1JX1d.jpg

It's had a new chain ring, cog and white chain since this picture, but everything else is the same.

There's a reward for anyone who gives any information that leads to recovery. If you see it, call Santry Garda station at 01 6664000

is everything on this bike black except for a white chain?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

seamus wrote: »

Very true. Some strange person robbed the kickstand off my friend's bike last year. Never understood why on earth someone would go to that much hassle for a measly kickstand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Very true. Some strange person robbed the kickstand off my friend's bike last year. Never understood why on earth someone would go to that much hassle for a measly kickstand.

It's a cultural thing; they think it shows they're clever that they're able to steal stuff that other people have worked for.

It's a cultural thing; they think it shows they're clever that they're able to steal stuff that other people have worked for.

I honestly think it was another cyclist who took my light, one who can't be bothered to pay for all the necessary extras. It would have no resale value for a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I honestly think it was another cyclist who took my light, one who can't be bothered to pay for all the necessary extras. It would have no resale value for a thief.

It's possible, but the class of scummer who rides a bike is generally not bothered about using lights, and anyone who is bothered about using lights has enough social sense to not steal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone else remove their bike lights and keep them with them when leaving their bike locked up? I'm going to start doing this.
    Had my lights stolen when I parked up in Stoneybatter, had to cycle home with no lights in the dark, which I dont like doing.
    It depends where I park my bike whether I take my lights with me, when you get new lights, buy small ones for your pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

No It was locked properly right outside in the bike racks .

Out of interest, what is locked properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    No It was locked properly right outside in the bike racks .

Out of interest, what is locked properly?
    Search YouTube for 'Hal Ruzal'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mielemy

Very distinguishable bike! Vintage racer, very small; probably a child's bike but worked fine for me. Grey frame with green stripes and says "Free Spirit", it has bright green bar tape and there's a rack on the back. Photo here but without the green bar tape.
    Please keep an eye out, it was taken from around Abbey street/Liffey street area last Saturday 6/10/12.
    If anyone sees it, please contact <snip> Mod note - contact via PM - do not include e-mail addresses or phone numbers in-thread
    Thanks!
    Emily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Londoners are getting together to stop bike theft: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/what-to-do-if-bike-stolen/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michael8

Got my bike stolen outside balally luas station on thursday between 8am and 7pm,it was a " lapierre shaper 500, 2012 model, 56cm ,greyish in colour"reported to the gardai,will check out cctv,won't hold out much hope,there are no cameras in the gutters.just be aware that gardai say that the area is rife with bike thieves stealing decent bikes,had 2 decent locks on it,but they have devices to cut most all locks,don't waste your money on a good bike ,buy a second hand one if you are going to leave it outside luas or open public places,will still continue to enjoy bikes but will be aware these thieving bastards will be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Michael8 wrote: »
    Got my bike stolen outside balally luas station on thursday between 8am and 7pm,it was a " lapierre shaper 500, 2012 model, 56cm ,greyish in colour"reported to the gardai,will check out cctv,won't hold out much hope,there are no cameras in the gutters.just be aware that gardai say that the area is rife with bike thieves stealing decent bikes,had 2 decent locks on it,but they have devices to cut most all locks,don't waste your money on a good bike ,buy a second hand one if you are going to leave it outside luas or open public places,will still continue to enjoy bikes but will be aware these thieving bastards will be around.

What type of locks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Michael8 wrote: »

Sorry to hear it - they have decent bike lockers at Dundrum station. I presume the bikes locked on the Luas platform at Balally would have some CCTV coverage, better than those outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ziggymon

hi Guys - got an electrical Bike Stolen from My Shed recently in Waterford City. between Oct 8th & 13th
    I hadn't been in the Shed since the previous weekend and we noticed the door open last Monday Morning, probably taken on the Sunday night, but it really could have been any night since I had last been in the Shed, feckers Climbed the Fence and lifted it back out over the fence
    Make:Wisper Model 905 SE City , Color BLack
    here is a link to a picture just lik it
    similay bike
    They Didn't get the Charger for it, this is a real distinctive electric bike there is none like it in Waterford - I had to buy it from a Company in Limerick
    Mine is like the linked picture - except I also had saddle/Pannier backs on the back and a childs seat on the crossbar, although these could be removed there will be some marks on the Cross bar from the Childs seat,

hopefully someone will spot it - I'm bloody gutted - only finished paying off the loan for it this month too !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ouch, sorry to hear that, how much do they go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 antoo

Hi,

My bike was stolen from a shed in a estate in Glasnevin Hill end of September. It is a Giant TCX (see picture attached, the front mudguard was removed before it was stolen). The red sticker in the frame is from The Cycle Inn.

Quite probably is the one in this ad: <snip>. I emailed and called but no answer.

Any help appreciated - PM me if any info please.

giant_tcx.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

antoo wrote: »
    Hi,

My bike was stolen from a shed in a estate in Glasnevin Hill end of September. It is a Giant TCX (see picture attached, the front mudguard was removed before it was stolen). The red sticker in the frame is from The Cycle Inn.

Quite probably is the one in this ad: <snip>. I emailed and called but no answer.

Any help appreciated - PM me if any info please.

giant_tcx.JPG

Hi
    sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. do you have the serial number of the bike? if you do, you could go to the gardai and tell them you expect that its your bike! they may go with you to meet the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 antoo

Tomred13 wrote: »
    Hi
    sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. do you have the serial number of the bike? if you do, you could go to the gardai and tell them you expect that its your bike! they may go with you to meet the seller.

Thanks for the advice. I do have the serial number and I reported to gardai. For them to go meet the seller we would need to set an arrangment but the seller has not answered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ziggymon

Thar gor: "Ouch, sorry to hear that, how much do they go for? "

I wouldn't like to say :mad:

Advertisement