Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Moncrieff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well I saw this on my iphone newstalk app (free on the itunes store btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ah, the old system doesn't appear to be working. Maybe it is exclusive to iphones and ipads.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Ah, the old system doesn't appear to be working. Maybe it is exclusive to iphones and ipads.

Well there was a update for the iphone so maybe there are trying to get it sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Seán was great today: "The Garda website warning us about speeding has crashed. There's irony.":)

But then he had a great, great interview with Howard Marks, whose autobiography many of you have probably read already. You can catch this interview with Marks here (part 3, starts at 5.19)

PS: Anybody else having trouble with the Newstalk reception? I can get it fine in the car and online, but it's non-existant on the radio in many parts of my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Seán was great today: "The Garda website warning us about speeding has crashed. There's irony.":)

But then he had a great, great interview with Howard Marks, whose autobiography many of you have probably read already. You can catch this interview with Marks here (part 3, starts at 5.19)

PS: Anybody else having trouble with the Newstalk reception? I can get it fine in the car and online, but it's non-existant on the radio in many parts of my home.

Yeah I find that, a fluorescent light I have in the kitchen, interferes with newstalk for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samtoo

I made the switch to Sean last week and my life is richer as a result. He's got such a friendly voice and a gentle way about him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I was over on the Newstalk website a moment ago to check out Fionn Davenport, whom I presume was the 'Fionn' taking Seán's place on Newstalk this afternoon.

He did well, and I particularly enjoyed his interview with Graham Finlay. Although Finlay would have been much, much better taking the piss out of certain political theorists - in fact, if anybody from Newstalk is around they should think about giving Finlay a political science show to discuss political ideas, political theories (which is his area of expertise) and other stuff (e.g. political party system, minority parties in the system, etc) which Finlay would be great at doing. There's no such show on Irish radio at the moment and coming up to the election it would be a great innovation.

Anyway, I ended up following the link to Seán Moncrieff's Facebook page. Seán will be 50 years of age this July! I wouldn't have put him a day beyond 40 in looks as well as his generally healthy ('cool') disposition towards guests and issues. Great going, young fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭joecc

Have to agee with most posts here. I work in a shop and I be smiling away to myself with Sean on.
    How he keeps serious when he those half-wacky American and Canadian guests, is beyond belief...

Very funny as well, when he has his own responses to some of the listener's text.....

Remember he had the Spice Girls manager on the phone, on an episode of Don't Feed the Gondelas, he wanted to book the Spice Girls.....''Helllo, (in an overly Countryish accent), this is Mike calling from XX in the West of Ireland. Well I'll tell you now, what I'm calling about, you see, every year, we do an annual carnival in the village, and this year, well we were hoping, to hopefully get the Spice Girls to do a show in the community centre. We'll do everything we can possible to acccomadate them and look after them....''

obviously lack of memory excludes from me from remembering it word for word...

Ya see moncrieff is head and shoulders above everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

his interviewing bosco was absolutly terrible today! his outside broadcast interviews always have a strange twinge to them. i hate the constant texts from people in the audience, its only entertaining if your actually there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd genuinely love to see him do the Late Late.

He researches everything that is discussed on his show and while he has a list of questions, if the guest wishes to go off on a tangent, he has the intellect and sense of humour to go along with it and abandon all other questions if necessary.

He can do funny, but he can do serious and emotional too.

But it will never happen as that would involve RTE making the CORRECT decision.

kraggy wrote: »
    I'd genuinely love to see him do the Late Late.

He can do funny, but he can do serious and emotional too.

+1 he really is a great all rounder,
    I wish Tv3 would give him a Friday night show to rival Tubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Minx23

Iv been a Moncrieff listener for years but I was away travelling and when I got back some bits had changed and Im wondering does anyone know why?

Where did the 'Panel of Ladies' go for a start? I use to love the little snide remarks they'd make to one another all the while pretending they were all great friends!!

Movies and Booze is a great way to kick off the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Moncrieff is best thing on Newstalk, listen to him as much as possible. I think they have an invited guest in now instead of the panel :confused:

Minx23 wrote: »
    Iv been a Moncrieff listener for years but I was away travelling and when I got back some bits had changed and Im wondering does anyone know why?

Where did the 'Panel of Ladies' go for a start? I use to love the little snide remarks they'd make to one another all the while pretending they were all great friends!!

Does Sean actually take a few swigs of whatever booze during this segment? I guess for authencity he would have to..

he always plays decent, uncommercial music just before he wraps up on Fri, or after he wraps up...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

joecc wrote: »
    Does Sean actually take a few swigs of whatever booze during this segment? I guess for authencity he would have to..
    he has said a few times 'God help the fella sitting next to me on the way home on the Dart on Friday the smell of beer/wine off me must have been cat' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Minx23

joecc wrote: »
    he always plays decent, uncommercial music just before he wraps up on Fri, or after he wraps up...

Quilli aka The Q man (the sound man) picks a song to end the show every Friday. They're always great and sometimes quite obscure! Think there is a list of all the ones he has chosen on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

what? thank god they are gone, worst segment of the week right there! if i wanted to listen to 3 indistinguishable women talking about soaps id go to the tea room.
    Same for the snide remarks

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Quilli aka The Q man (the sound man) picks a song to end the show every Friday. They're always great and sometimes quite obscure! Think there is a list of all the ones he has chosen on their website.
    Yep and Quillis vinyl collection should ensure he will not run out of decent stuff for a long time;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Always thought they were the show's weakest link. Hated the way producers went to Central Casting to find the Posh one, the Working Class Dub, the Hearty No-Nonsense Country Woman... And the fact that they always ended up transcending background and class to agree that, yes, Victoria Beckham probably was too thin. Give me strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Always thought they were the show's weakest link. Hated the way producers went to Central Casting to find the Posh one, the Working Class Dub, the Hearty No-Nonsense Country Woman... And the fact that they always ended up transcending background and class to agree that, yes, Victoria Beckham probably was too thin. Give me strength

The posh one was Henry Mckean's mother and I think the others were also connected to people working on the show. It was bloody awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hated the way producers went to Central Casting to find the Posh one, the Working Class Dub, the Hearty No-Nonsense Country Woman... And the fact that they always ended up transcending background and class to agree that, yes, Victoria Beckham probably was too thin.

haha well put. (I didn't mind them though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

What an unusual thread. People on an Irish internet forum being almost wholly positive about a radio show! Well deserved though, outside of the institution that is Morning Ireland I personally believe it is the most consistent show on Irish radio. And almost certainly the most enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Moncrieff is fairly easy to listen to, George Hook on the other hand gets on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My God, +1 to whoever had the idea of putting him on the Late Late.

It never would have occurred to me, but it would be a stroke of genius. Moncrieff is funny, sharp as a tack, and a natural presenter. Furthermore, he's never as snide, patronising or relentlessly unlikeable as any of the Late Late presenters I can think of. He can make a segment about sod all, which God knows, would be an asset there.

Good Lord, imagine somebody who can actually host a show hosting the Late Late Show!?! I think I'm a little dizzy at the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It never would have occurred to me, but it would be a stroke of genius. Moncrieff is funny, sharp as a tack, and a natural presenter. Furthermore, he's never as snide, patronising or relentlessly unlikeable as any of the Late Late presenters I can think of. He can make a segment about sod all, which God knows, would be an asset there.

Good Lord, imagine somebody who can actually host a show hosting the Late Late Show!?! I think I'm a little dizzy at the thought.

The nepotism in RTE wouldn't allow that to happen.

I’m amazed TV3 don’t snap him up and put on him on a Fri night talk show to rival the LLS.
    Moncreiff talking to the average Joe is far more entertaining than watching Tubs trying to extract information from bored RTE staffers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Poly wrote: »
    +1 he really is a great all rounder,
    I wish Tv3 would give him a Friday night show to rival Tubs.

Great big +1 from me on that one... although remember the ill-fated Dunphy Show? They'd have to give it a better chance than that...

• Advertisement

Bard wrote: »
    Great big +1 from me on that one... although remember the ill-fated Dunphy Show? They'd have to give it a better chance than that...

Dunphy show guests were a selection of his drinking buddies, I think thats where it went wrong.

We should lobby TV3 to get him a show, in fact I think (boards,ie)Daragh has been on his show once or twice.

Advertisement