Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Never regsistered VRT, can I sell the car?

• 07-11-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We acquired a car from a family friend from Wales that needed work. It has sat in our driveway for 2 years and we did not register it for VRT. I now realise we should have done that when we first become owners of the car.

With penalties for not registering, the fines accrued would be about 80% of the cars worth, which would be 1-1.5k. (This is on the back of a phonecall I had with the VRT guy in Revenue).

Question: Does anyone know what we could do with the car, other than scrap it? It is a good car, it would be a pity to see it go to scrap. Could we sell/give it back to the family friend in the UK - would he be liable for penalities? Could it be sold to someone in Ireland - or would they be liable for penalities as well?

Please, no lectures for not registering it in the first place. Hands up, it was my fault for not doing it initially. I just need to know what we can do from here, so any informed advice and insight would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What work needed to be done and how did it get to your house? I the car was not capable of propulsion (e.g. no engine or transmission), it will not have been eligible for registration and therefore the VRT point will not have arrived. You may be better served in the MOtors forum where these questions arise all the time. Otherwise, if the work did not impede the propulsion of the vehicle or you drove it over from Wales you have an issue. A non motor dealer is not permitted to offer an un VRTd car for sale and you would have no prospect of selling it other than for export (by low loader) or to someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Shipshape wrote: »
    We acquired a car from a family friend from Wales that needed work. It has sat in our driveway for 2 years and we did not register it for VRT. I now realise we should have done that when we first become owners of the car.

With penalties for not registering, the fines accrued would be about 80% of the cars worth, which would be 1-1.5k. (This is on the back of a phonecall I had with the VRT guy in Revenue).

Question: Does anyone know what we could do with the car, other than scrap it? It is a good car, it would be a pity to see it go to scrap. Could we sell/give it back to the family friend in the UK - would he be liable for penalities? Could it be sold to someone in Ireland - or would they be liable for penalities as well?

Please, no lectures for not registering it in the first place. Hands up, it was my fault for not doing it initially. I just need to know what we can do from here, so any informed advice and insight would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Pay the VRT on it now and drive it on the road. Have you not seen the amount of yellow plate cars on our roads these days? The Revenue Commissioners will just be happy that the car is registered now.

Advertisement