Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wah confusion

Options
  • 09-01-2005 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

howyez, so i want some wah for my bass, but im really confused, i heard that normal guitar wah can be used on bass, and cliff burton used it so there should be no problem, right?... but last week i tried my friends cry baby 535q and it didn't work, we tried everything, then i tried my other friends "musicstore.de" brand pedal and i got exactly the same story... y doesn't it work? it should shouldn't it???

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What do you mean it didn't work? Did it work and not sound good or just no sound at all? I've used a Dunlop crybaby on my bass no bother. You can get a bass wah from Dunlop, it's designed for the bass's frequency range but it's quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A gutar wah is designed to carry much higher frequencies than a bass puts out. It'll suck all the low end out of your tone. As far as I know Dunlop make a Crybaby for bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well when i had it in off i "wahhed".. nothing obviosly, and when i had it on i "wahhed" and there was still no change, well i know that theres a bass wah but it costs like 170 quid at least, scrw that like, do you know y it didn't work?

Are you sure it was on? It should have had an effect, may not sound perfect but it should work. Did you try it with another instrument? It sounds like you either didn't turn it on (I always find Crybabies a bit sticky when trying to turn on) or else there's a problem with the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Can't think. Sorry.

• Advertisement

well our guitarist plugged it in to his guitar and started playing away with , there was actually one setting on the Q knob of the 535q where you could hear the SLIGHTEST wah in the background, and i dont think its a problem with the frequency coz i played an atrificial harmonic as high as i could get it it and was as higha s like 12 on the first string of a guitar so... i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

just buy a wah pedal ya cheap bastard!:D it's not as if you can share your guitarist's one when on stage!

well yea i wanna buy a cheap guitar one, thats the problem, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

one word for ya... eBay..

or as the Doc would say... chrisguitars

meh, id much prefer to buy a cheap musicstore.de one and use that

• Advertisement

steoob wrote:
    well our guitarist plugged it in to his guitar and started playing away with , there was actually one setting on the Q knob of the 535q where you could hear the SLIGHTEST wah in the background, and i dont think its a problem with the frequency coz i played an atrificial harmonic as high as i could get it it and was as higha s like 12 on the first string of a guitar so... i dunno

Sounds strange, the wah effect should very obvious, even though it's designed for higher frequencies it will still wah a bass note, it's only an octave below. If you want a cheap wah try before you buy. Find one that you want online and try it in one of the guitar shops in town. I can't see why it is only working with your guitarist's guitar and not your bass.

i'll just have to keep tryin til i get it workin with my friends, thatnks fur das hilfe, meh im not german

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

I've got a Crybaby Bass wah for sale. I'm selling off loads of bass stuff at the moment so this is going too I'm afraid.

It is this model:

5109.jpg

It's in excellent condition and sounds great. Cost me a good deal of money in town if I remember correctly. P.M. me or post on here for a price on it. I'll have to dig up the reciept to know what I'm charging for sure. Shouldn't be much though.

P.S. Sorry about posting stuff up for sale here by the way... just seemed like it was relevant to the topic!

yea im interested, what else are you selling coz im dyin to get new stuff lo, i dunno what tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

the way cliff burton used it was with some maxed out Big Muff and a rickenbacker 4001 which has a very bright tone, if you use it like that then youll definatly hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

In my experience, your average guitar wah will suck the low end out of a bass tone, making it unpleasant for all (and I have a Ric, it's exactly the same). There are wahs designed specifically for bass which is what you should really look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

This is true but I guess its what cliff liked. anesthesia was a harsh growly sound without any boomy low end, ideal for fingernail scraping it seems :D.
    I reckon his amp settings were important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

My VOX wah sounds great when I plug the bass into it, but I have a crappy Centuary wah that makes it it sound terrable, so I guess it's just to do with the quality of the pedal.

:cool:

a friend of mine told me today that maybe its coz i have passive pickups? do the ricks have active pups?

No, the Ric 4001 and 4003s certainly do not have active pickups and even if they did it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. The problem you are having is that a wah is designed for guitar and it's sweep is in frequencies not really relevant in a bass. The answer to your problem is a wah designed for bass, one whose sweep is around frequencies where it will perform the desired wah effect on a bass.

As far as I remeber, Cliff Burton used a Morley wah, so perhaps you should have a look at models such as this

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MLYPBA2

Also, Cliff used an Aria Pro II for most of his time with Metallica (Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets), don't get hung up on the Ric thing.

• Advertisement

argh i really want to buy a cheap guitar wah for 33 euro, lol is there no way whatsoever?? lol

Then be prepared to live with a very sucky wah. you get what you pay for.

ok, o well, thanks anyways

Advertisement