Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

boccy23 wrote: »
    Christ, Ken's report on sport on the Football podcast today was long! 40mins and a fair amount of it was nonsense.
    Finding the Football one harder and harder to listen to what with Ken's never ending rants and Murph's ludicrous input as well.

I always find Ken's report on sport to be the best bit(minus Murph of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

The theme of this thread seems to be:

Poster 1: "Really don't like Ken, he's insufferable to listen to"

Poster 2 will reply: "I think you will find that Ken is actually brilliant" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I definitely think the quality is decreasing over time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I feel like they're covering less sports now. I know they always focused on soccer/GAA/rugby on Newstalk, but lately they seem to JUST talk about those sports. I fast forward now every time Gerry Thornley starts speaking because I'm just burnt out.

They don't seem to do as many niche pieces now, which is a real shame as it was that that attracted me to the their style in the first place.

Ken needs to reclaim the Football Show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭srfc d16

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I feel like they're covering less sports now. I know they always focused on soccer/GAA/rugby on Newstalk, but lately they seem to JUST talk about those sports. I fast forward now every time Gerry Thornley starts speaking because I'm just burnt out.

They don't seem to do as many niche pieces now, which is a real shame as it was that that attracted me to the their style in the first place.

Ken needs to reclaim the Football Show too.

100% agreed. A show that he is on usually takes me less than 30 minutes to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I found the interview with Mickey Ward great, and it was also good to see them spend some time on the cricket, although they could have gone into more detail. With the podcast format, I would have hoped that they could dedicate more time to the niche events, it's something they excel in when they do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thought the Mickey Ward interview was great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PIORUN

Thornley is painful at this stage..he just agrees with whatever the ex pro in the studio says...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

PIORUN wrote: »
    Thornley is painful at this stage..he just agrees with whatever the ex pro in the studio says...

Anyone get the impression that he really wants to be a player, or be included in the team? He always talks as if he's a part of the team, not a reporter of the team...

Plus he has a tendency to talk over people a lot. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Remember Eliud Kibet who won the Dublin marathon last year and was chatting to the lads after in what was one of the best interviews of the podcast last year?

Well he's just sent their Facebook page a 5 minute video/tour of his home and what he's used his winnings on. Absolutely fantastic story :)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1585947338284646

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can we stop the Murph hate. I like him. The least important person on the show, but it's still good to have him there, seems like good crack too.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can we stop the Murph hate. I like him. The least important person on the show, but it's still good to have him there, seems like good crack too.

I didn't mind him on the radio show, but he has been given a much bigger role in the podcasts/TV show than he merits. Now he just irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I didn't mind him on the radio show, but he has been given a much bigger role in the podcasts/TV show than he merits. Now he just irritates me.

Murph is great, I like Ken but he can at times be annoying also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Cartman78

keane2097 wrote: »
    I definitely think the quality is decreasing over time.

Sadly, I've got to agree with this.. :(

Seems to be so much filler on the recent shows and very little actual content.

Just listening to last Thursday's football show and they've spent about 15 mins crapping on about how good Jose Mourinho would be as a rugby coach :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Sadly, I've got to agree with this.. :(

Seems to be so much filler on the recent shows and very little actual content.

Just listening to last Thursday's football show and they've spent about 15 mins crapping on about how good Jose Mourinho would be as a rugby coach :mad:
    I love that stuff, its just entertainment at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭boccy23

The theme of this thread seems to be:

Poster 1: "Really don't like Ken, he's insufferable to listen to"

Poster 2 will reply: "I think you will find that Ken is actually brilliant" :pac:

And again....

Beersmith wrote: »
    I love that stuff, its just entertainment at the end of the day.

Yeah...it depends what you're looking for I guess.

The balance between the banter and sports journalism is always very delicate....for me that lads have slipped back into a comfort zone similar to the later days of their time on Newstalk.

They seem to have lost the edge they had when they relaunched....listening to recent episodes it seems to be 10% jingles, 40% bantz, 10% telling you what's on the other show, leaving the rest for content which has become a bit hit and miss itself (Simon Hick interviewing Conor Murray :confused:)

Finished listening to the rest of the Football podcast since previous post...felt sorry for Richie missing the Noel Gallagher gig to prep for the show and then spending ages talking about spit. He actually said 3 times "I can't believe we're still talking about spitting"....poor stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PIORUN

Matt Williams really finds in hard not to come across as bitter. He was a bluffer of a coach and seeing what Joe is doing, really grates him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Matt Williams really finds in hard not to come across as bitter. He was a bluffer of a coach and seeing what Joe is doing, really grates him.

He can be a likeable en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

He can be a likeable enough contributor at times but he rambled a lot this week.

• Advertisement

Looks like Murph is no longer on the Football show.

Happy days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Edz87 wrote: »
    Looks like Murph is no longer on the Football show.

Happy days.

He'll be back. The cycle has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Murph is nowhere near as bad on the football show as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

seiphil wrote: »

I agree but I do think he was a little overbearing on it a few months back. He was interrupting Ken a bit too often. These days I think he's been better.

I remember a few people suggesting also that Ken didn't particularly like Murph. I don't think that's true at all.

That's really damning him with faint praise :pac:. It's just better without him - so why have him on it?

He's worse, he has nothing to offer the football show except stumble over Kens references, you know, to make sure everyone knows he got it.. Dire radio at times.

Ken needs to do a solo podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Edz87 wrote: »
    He's worse, he has nothing to offer the football show except stumble over Kens references, you know, to make sure everyone knows he got it.. Dire radio at times.

Ken needs to do a solo podcast.

Ken, although brilliant needs someone to reign him in at times when he goes off on tangents, to keep the show on the road. McDevitt is fantastic at doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bit harsh imo. I think he's an excellent analyst of the game, his columns in the Times are always well observed and intelligent. His analysis of the Irish team was on the money but people didn't want to hear it among all the hysteria.

He was happy to give credit where it was due after the performance against Scotland but we are far from the finished article.

I actually met him once in an off licence in Limerick before a Munster game and he is a very affable bloke in person.

It seems most of us dislike Murph leaking into the Football show, but what do people think about Ken’s contributions on other sports?

I have only a passing interest in rugby so Ken’s witterings on Johnny Sexton & co. are right in my wheelhouse, but I’m sure it must drive real rugby fans nuts.

I enjoyed the Matt Williams stuff as well I have to say….not easy to be the contrarian but he made his points well imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Cartman78 wrote: »
    It seems most of us dislike Murph leaking into the Football show, but what do people think about Ken’s contributions on other sports?

I find myself skipping through most of the hosts' discussions on rugby and just listening to the interviews recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement