Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please!

• 26-01-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Ok so need ye now more than ever ladies!
    Had appt today at 36+4. The baby has turned since last week and is now completely breech. A section is the thing I feared the most. I have to go back on tue on the off chance the baby has turned but he said its unlikely. Then on tue we will book section for 39 weeks. I'm completely overwhelmed and am looking for ppls personal experiences of this and sections in general - in particular in holles st! The more info I can absorb the better! I'm afraid of the surgery. I'm upset about the hospital stay, and I'm worried about the recovery!
    I'm a mess today - been head down since 20 weeks so last thing I expected. He said little point in trying to turn her due to the position she in.
    I value your opinions on here and stories the most as ye have been thru it! X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

36+ weeks - your baby still has time to turn. Babies can turn in labour!

Have you considered the option of an ECV? This is where they manually turn the baby. It has a success rate of about 50%

You could also consider discussing vaginal breech birth with your consultant. There have been vaginal breech births in NMH.

You might also consider trying fetal position techniques yourself - check out spinningbabies.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Breech delivery - not recommended as baby is feet first , as opposed to bum first, and apparently could get stuck.

ECV - reading up on this - he did offer it but seems to think the baby wont turn as head up and feet straight down - he also said theres a risk (2%) of complication such as umbilical cord entanglement or rupture placenta (as anterior for me) and this would requireemergency section there and then - im kinda thinking i dont want to do anything that might risk the babies health or distress her. I also would rather she had the extra 2 weeks in utero if possible.

the baby may turn by tuesday and that what we keeping everything crossed for! he did say tho as she's gotten ehrself into this weird feet down head up position that in his opinion its unlikely - we will wait and see tho!
    Thanks for that website - ill get straight on it and spend the weekend upside down if it helps!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Stop stressing. I've had 3 sections for 3 different reasons. If i ever had a choice again i would pick a section. I was in the same situation as yourself on much first . The docs tried turning her but she was stubborn so they booked me in for a section. I was a bag of nerves. All the staff were brilliant. Very calming. You are awake but don't feel a thing. After was a bit sore but the sooner you get yourself moving the better. The thing i liked most was knowing what day and time i was going to have my baby. Patience isn't much thing so when i was let go over by 2 weeks i was freaking . The staff in holles street are lovely. Very friendly and appreciable. They'll help you with anything and everything and there's no pressure. The only thing i didn't likebwas they woke me at 7 in the morning for a shower even though the baby was still asleep. Best of luck with everything and try not worry too much. I know its hard not to but they know what they're doing and are very good at their jobs .

slarkin123 wrote: »
    Stop stressing. I've had 3 sections for 3 different reasons. If i ever had a choice again i would pick a section. I was in the same situation as yourself on much first . The docs tried turning her but she was stubborn so they booked me in for a section. I was a bag of nerves. All the staff were brilliant. Very calming. You are awake but don't feel a thing. After was a bit sore but the sooner you get yourself moving the better. The thing i liked most was knowing what day and time i was going to have my baby. Patience isn't much thing so when i was let go over by 2 weeks i was freaking . The staff in holles street are lovely. Very friendly and appreciable. They'll help you with anything and everything and there's no pressure. The only thing i didn't likebwas they woke me at 7 in the morning for a shower even though the baby was still asleep. Best of luck with everything and try not worry too much. I know its hard not to but they know what they're doing and are very good at their jobs .

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear! Great to hear a positive story! How long before you were able to function like normal after? Like walking at the park... Doin the laundry... Going for lunch or dinner? I just want a general jist of how long recovery is?
    I'm glad to hear confidence in holles st- did 5 nights of hospital stay with other babies crying not drive you demented??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

dublinlady wrote: »
    did 5 nights of hospital stay with other babies crying not drive you demented??!

I can't give any real support re: breech babies or sections, but this last statement I can say something -

After I had both of my girls I was in a room with 4-5 other women & their babies. I stayed in 2 nights with each. The entire time I stayed there, my kids were the only babies I heard crying...at all. It was annoyingly frustrating that it was *my* kids who were the criers. I'm saying this to you because I was shocked with how quiet the ward was otherwise. Maybe it's not the same everywhere, but it was almost eery when I was in there. So that part - eh, I wouldn't worry about it.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear! Great to hear a positive story! How long before you were able to function like normal after? Like walking at the park... Doin the laundry... Going for lunch or dinner? I just want a general jist of how long recovery is?
    I'm glad to hear confidence in holles st- did 5 nights of hospital stay with other babies crying not drive you demented??!

I too had a section, I was up and about looking after my baby the day of it. When I got out of hospital 4 days later, I walked from Rathmines to Stephens Green and back again for a sterilizer without much difficulty at all. When baby was 6 days old daddy went back to college leaving me to get myself and baby to and from Tescos and up 2 flights of stairs without any help. I had no real problems, small bit stiff to be honest, but a vaginal birth can do that to you down below too so I feel it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other on that front, somewhere is going to be stiff and to be honest I rather it be my stomach!

The thing is though there are no baths and driving for a few weeks until your muscles strengthen again! Thank goodness for Dublin Bus those few weeks, though I just walked most of the time as part of the process of getting into some shape again. The care of the scar is easy enough too, only me, the idiot that I am neglected it, and got a small infection, nothing note worry!

I was in a ward with 8 other beds, you actually take no notice of the other babies, you focus in on the cry of your own mostly.

I know it is not the birth you wanted, but it is not the worst in the world:) Good luck :)x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I know a chiropractor who's trained in a particular adjustment that can help get breech babies to move. I don't know anything more than that and that she used to get a lot of ladies coming to her as referrals. PM me if you want the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The most important thing is to support the scar when you are coughing (and I coughed a lot after surgery, but only because I had had a general anaesthetic and they had to put the tube down my throat). Lots of showers to keep the scar clean. Only do what you feel you can do, or you'll be in bits the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

If I had a choice of a section or the dr. trying to turn the baby, I would opt for the section each time. I've never had a section, but if there was ever a problem with my baby I would just want the baby out the safest way.
    My mother had 6 sections!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Ideally baby should be born head first, not bum (which is also breach) or feet.

You might find some helpful information on gently encouraging baby to turn on the spinning babies website. It was recommended to me by my midwife and some friends (thankfully I never needed it as baby was happy head down throughout) but worth a try.

http://spinningbabies.com/

The only real advice I can give you is to relax as much as possible and try not to worry or stress (easier said than done I know) because it won't be good for you or baby.

Take good care of yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

The exercises on that 'spinning babies' website are good. My friend turned her traverse-lie baby using them. I also used acupuncture to turn my baby in my last pregnancy. Make sure you use a reliable practitioner. Mine gave me some moxa sticks and I stimulated some points on my little toes every day for two weeks- the baby only turned after the last treatment. Visualisation is also supposed to be helpful.

I do think that one of the best things you can do for yourself going into labour is to cultivate an attitude of surrender- accept and trust that the baby is going to come out in the best way for both of you and try to let go of your fear and go with it. I know its hard going into your first birth but honestly it makes a huge difference to the outcome (in my meagre experience). All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

On my first i was in for 4 nights. What people say about not hearing others kids.is very true. But you'll always hear your own. I was out and about and doing every thing 2 weeks. So it wasn't too bad.Don't make the mistake i made. When we were some and baby was asleep, i'd give her a little poke to see if she was still breathing. Id end up waking her and end up cursing myself.

My second was supposed to be a vaginal birth. I was 2 weeks over due and much waters broke. The baby went into distress and i had to have an emergency section. I was in hospital a week because the baby was in icu . We didn't do much venturing out with him cause it was the end of November.

When i found out i was pregnant again i was adamant i was going to have a section and the last experience. I only stayed 2 nights that time cause i was very anxious to get home to the other 2 . And they were very good letting me. At this stage i was an old hand at sections and once there was a bowel movement we were good to go. Not much going out with him either as it was in the middle of the snow storm 2years ago.

Get moving around as soon as you can. It makes such a difference. Don't turn down the drugs they offer when you're going home. It won't take you long to start getting back to normal and you'll soon find yourself in a routine that suits you and your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I had a section on my twins last year!
    I was all set for a natural birth as both babies were head down from early on in the pregnancy and there wasnt much room for them to move towards the end.
    During labour(at 9&1/2 cms), the first twin decided to tilt his head backwards and was coming out nose first. My consultant said it wouldnt have been safe to proceed with the natural birth and was off down for the section. Babies were born around 10pm and I was up for a shower the following morning and moving about! The babies stayed beside me the first night and I just called wthe nurses when I needed the babies taken out of the cot.
    Spent 6 nights in hospital. I actually didnt mind being in that long. Was nice having nothing else to worry/think about except for the babies and also having plenty of time to bond with them before we got home and had visitors!
    I went for a look around our local shopping centre and for lunch when the babies were 8 days old and started going out for little walks a few days later!
    I could feel myself getting better as each day passed, but it was very important not to overdo it and when I did, I would know about it the next day!
    I didnt drive for 6 weeks but honestly that was more because I couldnt lift the buggy in and out of the car and was difficult to go anywhere with 2 babies without a buggy!
    Try not to worry about the surgery too much! Just think....its the safest way to get your little bundle into your arms!
    Wishing you all the best and if you have any specific questions, dont hesitate to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

Breech delivery - not recommended as baby is feet first , as opposed to bum first, and apparently could get stuck.

ECV - reading up on this - he did offer it but seems to think the baby wont turn as head up and feet straight down - he also said theres a risk (2%) of complication such as umbilical cord entanglement or rupture placenta (as anterior for me) and this would requireemergency section there and then - im kinda thinking i dont want to do anything that might risk the babies health or distress her. I also would rather she had the extra 2 weeks in utero if possible.

the baby may turn by tuesday and that what we keeping everything crossed for! he did say tho as she's gotten ehrself into this weird feet down head up position that in his opinion its unlikely - we will wait and see tho!
    Thanks for that website - ill get straight on it and spend the weekend upside down if it helps!!!!

ah I see, footling breech is a different story

Have a chat with him at next appointment - that way you can weigh up the risks of ECV compared with the risk factors of caesarean

do check out spinning babies - mine turned after using these techniques :)

best of luck whatever you decide/happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

dublinlady, I have no advice other than I would feel just like you. Hardly anyone I know had a section, unless it was emergency. Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I had a planned section, was home 48 hours later and back driving within a week. I know I was luckier than most but many people do have quick recoveries. Tip - ask you doctor to cover the sitches in Dermabond, it's like superglue but it makes it watertight so you can shower etc without worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I had an emergency section in Holles St. last year.
    I was going around in a wheel chair for 24 hours up and down to my baby in special care, and was up and about myself the following morning after a shower. The wheelchair wasn't cos I was sore, it was more because I was nervous moving around!
    I was careful moving for the next few days, but lifting baby was grand once i was up! Once I got the staples out I was a lot more comfortable. Healing was fine, just kept it clean and dry and didn't wear too tight clothes over it. The odd time now I get a twinge, but mostly it's fine.

Thankyou all so much for the info - I feel alot better about it now , even rhino am spending much of my time hanging upside down off the side of the couch!!!!
    Just wondering - is your hubbie allowed stay with you the first nite? I want to breast feed and not sure how I'll manage on my own? He won't want to anyway ;)
    Also if I am due a section on the 14th for example - would I've able drive a couple of hrs outside Dublin the week before when I'll be 38&3 or will I have to stay in Dublin incase go into labor?
    It's highs and lows with me at the moment - my head all over the place! One minute I'm delighted thinking its the best thing ever as I do t have to wait to have her - the next I'm back hanging off the end of the couch wishing her to turn so I can stick to the original plan!!!! If I wasn't mad before....... My poor family.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I had a section on both of mine and will be having another one in June.

My husband wasn't allowed to stay on the first night but the nurses on both occasions took baby away to leave me get some rest and brought him in for feeds. I was breastfeeding on both of them.

Just be prepared that for the first 24 hours you are bed bound as you will have a catheter inserted, once that was removed I was allowed to go have a shower.

The nurses will come and lift the baby out of the crib for you and change the babies nappies til you can move for the first 24 hours.

For me they came and lifted baby when I wanted to feed him and then they would check back after a while to see if I was finished and would lift him back in the crib. Other times I would say he was ok and stay cuddled with him in the bed :D staring at my baby!!!

I also had a lovely lady in the room with me and she lifted him out for me aswell as she was up and about.

I was due to have my section at 39 weeks and there was no talk of not driving or travelling, if you are just make sure you have your file/notes with you in case of emergency.

I didn't find the recovery on either too hard, I was more uncomfortable with constipation that from the section afterwards!!!!

Try not to stress and just enjoy that you won't have to worry about waters breaking, that you know when you're baby is arriving and you will have your other half at your side and not having to ring him in a panic that you think you are in labour, rushing to to hosp and it turning out to be false labour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ok so need ye now more than ever ladies!
    Had appt today at 36+4. The baby has turned since last week and is now completely breech. A section is the thing I feared the most. I have to go back on tue on the off chance the baby has turned but he said its unlikely. Then on tue we will book section for 39 weeks. I'm completely overwhelmed and am looking for ppls personal experiences of this and sections in general - in particular in holles st! The more info I can absorb the better! I'm afraid of the surgery. I'm upset about the hospital stay, and I'm worried about the recovery!
    I'm a mess today - been head down since 20 weeks so last thing I expected. He said little point in trying to turn her due to the position she in.
    I value your opinions on here and stories the most as ye have been thru it! X

I've had 2 sections in Holles Street, they are EXCELLENT!!! I couldn't speak more highly of them. They take such great care of you during the procedure, there is some one there explaining everything to you. Don't fear it...the best thing you can do is try to relax, you will be so well looked after.

Afterwards you'll be in recovery for about 4 hours (till the feeling in your legs comes back), baby will be with Dad until then. You'll get a lovely bed near the window, because you're in for a long stay the section ladies usually get the beds with the nice view ;) You have nothing to worry about xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Just wondering - is your hubbie allowed stay with you the first nite? I want to breast feed and not sure how I'll manage on my own? He won't want to anyway ;):)

I haven't seen any hubby's stay the first night. But the night nurses are excellent. If you're up to it, they will stick with you till they're happy baby is feeding well. It was extremely busy when I was there in October, and still they were very attentive to those who wanted to breastfeed. To be fair, I didn't see anyone breastfeed after a section, but if you're up for it, they'll be very impressed with you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I was induced on the first, which wasn't ideal, but was ok overall, recovery was a piece of cake.

On the second, Izzy was breach from really early on, and stayed in the one position right until the end (head up, butt down) They wouldn't even attempt to turn her, as I had blood pressure issues and I was also on blood thinners. The risk of a bleed was too high. I was scheduled for a section just under 3 weeks before my due date as my blood pressure started climbing. I was absolutely petrified at the thought of it honestly, I was sincerely hoping for a vaginal delivery. I have issues with anesthetics I suppose, I don't even like the local at the dentist. Honestly, I don't like being drunk or stoned either, the control freak in me coming out :)

I am honestly not trying to freak you out here, I just want to help prepare, in case you are as as neurotic as I am. The op itself was horrific for me. I hadn't realised that I wouldn't be able to move either of my arms because of various drips and injections. It should have occurred to me, but it didn't. Also, although there was no pain at all, I could actually feel the doc rummaging around inside there, really unpleasant. So basically I was lying there entirely unable to move any of my limbs while strangers in masks cut my baby out while my partner looked on and smiled... To me, it felt like dying. I'm still feeling the psychological affects of it now, something akin to what it might be like after being physically assaulted.

All that said, it was in reality only an hour, and it was only even that long because there was 'oozing' resulting in having a drain fitted (really unpleasant that, especially the removal). The recovery hasn't been even nearly as bad as I was afraid of. The afternoon, and the day after the op I had really bad itching over the non numb parts of my body due to the morphine in the spinal injection, so if you get that, be assured it's normal. I was moving around a bit the next day, and I never had any trouble holding or feeding her. I was able to drive 3 weeks later (check with your insurer). I really really wish that Izzy could have stayed with me in 'recovery' afterwards. I was there longer than usual due to a personnel issue (porters called in sick) and having her with me there I am sure would have made the whole thing FAR more bearable. In the end, the section was necessary to ensure the safe delivery of my baby girl, and I would have endured a lot worse for that! I think that maybe psychologically it might have been better to have a general anaesthetic for it, but I don't think i would have forgiven myself for missing my daughters first cry.

If I had to choose, I would never never 'opt' for a section, but it was over pretty quick, and in that respect it was better, because I wasn't totally exhausted when I was handed a wriggling newborn :)

If you plan on breast-feeding long term, invest in a breast feeding pillow, if you are sore around the wound for long, then this will help hugely.

I have no advice or info on Holles street, I had my wriggler in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

My baby turned so many times i literally didnt know wheater i was coming or going. One week i was having a planned section, the next week he had turned and then turned back so they were going to try and turn him themselves (have they not sugested trying this with your baby??) and when i was going in to ave him turned tey checked me and his head was down again! I ended up going 2 weeks over and he was moving up untill 1 week before the birth(which is unusual) so dont resign yourself to a section as the baby still has plenty of time to move around. Best of luck

Advertisement