Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrating a complex backend system with a 'beautiful' front end

• 27-05-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at getting a website done which will have a rather complex backend and one that provides a lot of functionality to the end users. I plan to get a very good coder to develop this system to ensure that it works properly as the volume of traffic could potentially be very large.

However, I'm concerned that I might not be able to find a coder who, as well as developing the back-end, can actually develop the front end of the website to ensure that it appeals to customers in such a way that it's both easy to use and easy on the eye. When I refer to 'appealing' front-end websites I'm referring to websites as seen on www.webcreme.com. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a separate graphic designer to make the website look nice after getting the functional backend system developed by the coder? Or should I be looking at finding a coder who can also implement the design? Any advice appreciated. If anyone has any past experiences I'd love to hear them. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

You need a developer & a designer, they are separate roles, and it's best to have them working in conjunction with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hi, I'm looking at getting a website done which will have a rather complex backend and one that provides a lot of functionality to the end users. I plan to get a very good coder to develop this system to ensure that it works properly as the volume of traffic could potentially be very large.
    Then you need a good database architect or at least someone who has experience of designing scalable large scale websites. Websites operating with a tiny database <1G are quite easy to deal with but when the database is being updated in real time and becomes large, only then will the design flaws become apparent. Ask for references and check them out before you hire anyone.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

jmcc wrote: »
    Then you need a good database architect or at least someone who has experience of designing scalable large scale websites. Websites operating with a tiny database <1G are quite easy to deal with but when the database is being updated in real time and becomes large, only then will the design flaws become apparent. Ask for references and check them out before you hire anyone.

Regards...jmcc

It would be overkill to get a DB developer to be honest. A GOOD developer will be able to create a normalised & scalable database design. Introducing another party to do it for him will only complicate matters imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭jmcc

John_Mc wrote: »
    A GOOD developer will be able to create a normalised & scalable database design.
    A good developer who knows about high traffic websites and complex backends is a very rare individual. Some just know it as theory, if they ever really did learn it. The realities of a high traffic website with a complex backend are quite different to running a site with a few hundred (or even a few thousand) page impressions a day. There's a good book published by O'Reilly on this: "Building Scalable Websites" by Cal Henderson. It is not just a question of designing a normalised and scalable database design.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement