Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just getting home from the garage now, been working on the race car all night. Few more nights like this and the hard work will be out of the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Would 150bhp from the 1.4 t jet unit be the most you could safely get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Anyhoo... back to off-topic car chat! Have we missed the boat regarding Audi Quattro's hitting their rock bottom prices? They seem to be on the increase in the sterling stakes. Anyone here brave enough to have pounced? And can I have a go?

I bought a 1989 Audi 200 Quattro Avant for 1300 quid before last winter. Stuck some winter tyres on it, spend 500 eur bringing it through the NCT. It was the only drivable car in the NCT center due to snow/ice/weather conditions according to the NCT tester, the day i got it tested :)

Evering else more or less was sliding around the place.
    dgt wrote: »
    The Tempra never broke down.

In general, they weren't bad cars at all. I agree.
    The 2 Bravos never let me down either :D But then again, the work maintaining is a bit more than average... I built both from shells ;)

Well, that's the issue with Fiat. And then too many monday morning or friday afternoon models.
    The Vectra fried its clutch for no reason :(

Probably assembled in the UK :D
    The Fester is rotten with rust. Often fails to start when it gets damp and I have to get one of the Fiats to jump start it. That really annoys people to see that :D

Now, that's Ford for you.
    The BMW breaks my heart, I've had it 5 years since I was 16. Its my dream car :) wonkey electrics, rust, often doesn't start due to a damp dizzy... A parts bin of new parts went into it and it still refuses to play nicely! But I love it and would never part with it :D Its an E34, 1989. Auto. In Diamond Schwartz. And no german plates :D

Well, the auto box is utter crap. Otherwise they just need a little love and minding and it'll all get right.
    So what have you got yourself? :)

By age ?

1978 VW Scirocco GT - LHD, next years project, currently in bits, going to get a modern engine, bucket seats and a rollcage.
    1989 Audi 200 Quattro Avant - extreme good spec and condition, but tank is rotten, so that needs to be replaced. Utter fun in the snow
    1999 VW Caravelle TDI - nearly converted to campervan and currently getting the syncro drivetrain fitted and engine remapped.
    1999 BMW M5 with mods
    2001 BMW 525d Touring that puts out around 212 bhp and 365 ft-lb.

That's what's sitting around at the moment. Had a 740i until mid year, that I used for the Scally Rally last year. My fair share of Fords. A Volvo inbetween there, too.

My first wheels after I got my license were a 3.2t VW LT31 6-pot diesel with 75 bhp panelvan and a Yamaha RD400. Essentially extremes in each their direction.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Marlow wrote: »
    1978 VW Scirocco GT - LHD, next years project, currently in bits, going to get a modern engine, bucket seats and a rollcage.
    1989 Audi 200 Quattro Avant - extreme good spec and condition, but tank is rotten, so that needs to be replaced. Utter fun in the snow
    1999 VW Caravelle TDI - nearly converted to campervan and currently getting the syncro drivetrain fitted and engine remapped.
    1999 BMW M5 with mods

/M

Good god that's a lotta good cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Confab wrote: »
    Well, liftoff oversteer, low grip and the back passenger wheel might've left the ground...

Edit: Just found my dream car:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2645616

View2-8422236.jpeg
    Far ahead of any mx5

I wonder how he came to that conclusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Probably by parking a few MX5's up and parking the MG ahead of them, by quite a long way! :)
    Other than that, I don't know.

Well, MGF are usually better value, than MX5. That's pretty much it. I reckon it's a MGF fanboy selling it.

/M

The VVC'd 1.8K would be a very decent engine is comparison to the 1.8s and 1.6s in the MX5, other than that you have all the usual MGF cons.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The 1.8VVc would be probably quicker than 1.8 MX5 I would think.

Just got an insurance quote - €150pm on top of my existing insurance. Feck that! Going to look at a 156 tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just got an insurance quote - €150pm on top of my existing insurance. Feck that! Going to look at a 156 tomorrow morning.

What age are you?

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    What age are you?

I'm 32 but have only been driving for 7 months on a provisional. No previous experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ah right. At least at 32 though you won't be hearing the old line "We only insure over 30s on that car".

Indeed, by very decent in comparison that's what I meant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ah right. At least at 32 though you won't be hearing the old line "We only insure over 30s on that car".

They change it to "We only insure over 35s on that car"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Do it!

How much is the Corsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

just got a quote for a corsa opc of 1150 for next year....hmmmm....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cars are useful for everything, including testing condoms:

Do it!

How much is the Corsa?

€150pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

€150pm.

3600 per anum then:eek: ...madness just pass your test and get a year or 2 NCB unless you've money to burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

€150pm.
    150*12 = 1800euro. Bloody hell, where do you live?? No way it should be that expensive at your age!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

barura wrote: »
    150*12 = 1800euro. Bloody hell, where do you live?? No way it should be that expensive at your age!

NCB is way more important than age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

barura wrote: »

Male provisional holder /w 10 yr old+ car, No NCB, Dublin = High risk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Ouch, that's a high increase for a Corsa. But most insurers will probably punish you for being on a Learners Permit these days and looking for a standalone policy.

Forgot to mention it's €1500 over 10 months, so more like €1500. Comprehensive too with the GF on it.

Forgot to mention it's €1500 over 10 months, so more like €1500. Comprehensive too with the GF on it.

Comp on a car you got for a few hundred?
    Why bother?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Comp on a car you got for a few hundred?
    Why bother?

Honestly the difference between comp and tpft is usually nil in the big picture. Another thing I don't understand about the irish insurance system. On the continent TP would be like 1/3 of the price of fully comp, typically.

/M

On a provisional licence with 0 NCB I reckon comp will be a few hundred more at least. For me over the last 12 years it's always been more, I've never had it as the most I've spent on a car was €4200.

RoverJames wrote: »
    On a provisional licence with 0 NCB I reckon comp will be a few hundred more at least. For me over the last 12 years it's always been more, I've never had it as the most I've spent on a car was €4200.

I think, I once got a quote that high, but the most I've ever spend was 2400 EUR fully comp. That was < 30 years old (just about) single male, full license, 2l turbo, soft top in the wescht.

Going for TFTP usually only knocks around 150 EUR of the price (yearly), so it doesn't really matter, when the insurance is between 800 and 2000.

Edit: Erhm .. ok .. 4200 eur on a car is another story :) If it's worth more than 2k and the difference is 150 quid, I'd still take fully comp.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Well, the auto box is utter crap. Otherwise they just need a little love and minding and it'll all get right.

Thats the 5 speed auto that was crap, had a 520i with that box. Loved making things horrible for me by refusing to work in anything other than 3rd then the computer committed suicide :rolleyes:

I have the earlier 4 speed in the 525i, its a wonderful unit by comparison :) despite its very long ratios... Very smooth changer :) It does work well but then again I do go to the bother of changing the fluid and filter every so often :P
    1999 BMW M5 with mods

That's what's sitting around at the moment. Had a 740i until mid year, that I used for the Scally Rally last year. My fair share of Fords. A Volvo inbetween there, too.

My first wheels after I got my license were a 3.2t VW LT31 6-pot diesel with 75 bhp panelvan and a Yamaha RD400. Essentially extremes in each their direction.

/M

You sure like your cars! I like the sound of the M5 with mods ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It might be, but I would still be going for mx5 over mg.

Maybe it would slower power wise, but it would be better package all around. Plus mx5 has better looks, but that's the matter of taste.

Me being mx5 fanboy has nothing to do with it!!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement